Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The way a sifu presents himself

In my old TKD school we had to take off our shoes in the 'waiting' area, Everything was done barefoot.

Unfortunately I know a lot about the way a sifu shouldn't present himself

1. After being in business for 10 years sifu should have at least some high level students.
    2. When you sprain your ankle in class, sifu shouldn't say "I don't have any ice" shrug his shoulders and go back to teaching class.
    3. Sifu shouldn't share financial information about the school with regular students. ie: "I'm just hoping we can make rent this month".
    4. Sifu shouldn't have a festival on Saturday teaching an advanced duel weapon form and let everyone who can pay attend, including beginner students.
    5. Sifu should not ignore his higher ranking students when they say "I want to focus more on applications and less on forms".
    6. Sifu should not try to blend 5 different and sometimes contradicting styles because he himself doesn't actually have a complete style.
    7. Sifu should not teach things that he has only learned from video.
    8. Sifu should not let beginners spar on their very first night in class.
    9. When a student builds a website for the school, sifu should at least look at it. Especially one that is generating walk-in traffic.
    10. Sifu shouldn't borrow money from a student to close the old school and re-open a new one that is 20 miles away from the old one.

My "X" sifu did all of these and it took my 3.5 years to find it all out.

He also wore shoes in class!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

boulderdawg,
    I was just wondering how you handle the "respect" aspect at your school. Are "elders" at your school people that are older than you or do they include people of higher rank or longer training?

elders in the kung fu family are based on knowledge, not age.

I find all this bowing and elaborate ceremony as unnecessary. I show common courtesy to all at the school but I really fail to see the need to go through some big ritual. I know I don't need MA training to learn respect or honor. I learned that growing up.

Bowing is humbling yourself to what you are being taught. I always tell my students you are not bowing to me... you are bowing to the knowledge that i have learned and are willing to share then i bow back and thank them for accepting the knowledge and practicing it.

remember your teacher owes you nothing you must deserve what a you are being taught and if that means following some tradition as silly as you think it is you should at least respect him.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

In our school we have an 18 year old, who has the attitude of a little snotnose brat, yet he's been in the program for about 3 years and has a black belt. Also in our school we have plenty of students in their 30s, 40s and 50s who have not been in the program as long. If you think these older students should treat this kid as an elder then, in my opinion, your sense of giving respect is warped!

>>>>My teacher owes me nothing??????<<<<

Then he sure as hell better give me all that money back that I paid him.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    In our school we have an 18 year old, who has the attitude of a little snotnose brat, yet he's been in the program for about 3 years and has a black belt. Also in our school we have plenty of students in their 30s, 40s and 50s who have not been in the program as long. If you think these older students should treat this kid as an elder then, in my opinion, your sense of giving respect is warped!

>>>>My teacher owes me nothing??????<<<<

Then he sure as hell better give me all that money back that I paid him.
    Far out 3 years for a black belt is quick

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Far out 3 years for a black belt is quick
    Personally I think it's should be the minimum. And that only if the students in question really, really works hard.

I do think that in my opinion they award belts a little too quickly in my school. I've been the program for almost a year now and I've been a brown belt for a month and a half. I'm just now actually getting some of the basics down to where I can move on to other things...However that's neither here nor there. I really don't take a whole lot of stock in what color belt you wear....it's what you know.

If I was a sifu I would try and present myself in a humble manner and dress a certain way to make the envornment we are training in traditional and peaceful. Thats just how I would be.
    Remember always a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust.

Boulderdawg-The opposite can be true. You can have a friendly, respectable young person and a real jerk that's older then him. People are people, regardless of age.
    EarthDragon-Bowing to each other and drill sergeant style teaching are two different things. It is the latter which I do not agree with. As for deserving training, you get what you put in. You work hard, you get results. That's the great thing about Kung Fu. In most cases you pay the teacher. Therefore, you deserve to be taught.

my sifu says 'on the street, who doesnt wear shoes'

craig
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 10-10-2006 at 06:38 AM.

my dad only wear shoes in winter.

more often than not, he goes barefoot on the street.
    subsequently, his soles are like cowhide. lol

not to mention the hundreds of thousands in various countries around the world who don't wear shoes. But that's here nor there, just sayin.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "I find all this bowing and elaborate ceremony as unnecessary. I show common courtesy to all at the school but I really fail to see the need to go through some big ritual. I know I don't need MA training to learn respect or honor. I learned that growing up."
    hmmmmm. perhaps you didn't.

"In our school we have an 18 year old, who has the attitude of a little snotnose brat, yet he's been in the program for about 3 years and has a black belt."

This is exactly why it must be taught in the class. This should never happen in a good,traditional school. Personally, I don't tolerate egos in my school. There is no place for it. They don't get through my door. I have an interview, first on the phone, then in person, then an intro class. If they show signs of attitude, we simply say we don't have any openings at this time and we will call them when we do. However, it usually isn't an issue, as most of my students come through referrals. If a student brings someone in, they vouch for their character.

As far as stating that since you are paying HIM, you deserve to be taught whatever you like. This puts your Sifu on the level of a waiter, with your Mo-Kwoon being a resteraunt and you pick and choose what you will and will not be taught.
    Call me a dinosaur, but I tell my students that they are simply buying a membership to the Mo-Gwoon. What do they get? Nothing, but a roof over their heads, and a place to train with quality instruction. Everything else they have to work for. It must be earned-with sweat, and dedication. Just like on a ranch or a farm-"You don't work, you don't eat"
    I suppose I am a throwback to a time gone by. I don't have a huge glitzy school,no fancy uniforms which change with each level, or upsell membership, no patches,karate kid headbands. Just a school t-shirt and sash and pants. Oh, and we wear wrestling boots. We also spar with them on as well.
    BUT-my students are respectful,humble,and hard workers. The younger ones must maintain a specific grade point average, and most of them are honor roll students. The parents think this is the best thing that has happened to their kids, and the adults bring their kids to train as well. Scoff if you want-it's been working so far.

well im a brit and not a yank/aussie/kiwi

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    "I find all this bowing and elaborate ceremony as unnecessary. I show common courtesy to all at the school but I really fail to see the need to go through some big ritual. I know I don't need MA training to learn respect or honor. I learned that growing up."
    hmmmmm. perhaps you didn't.

"In our school we have an 18 year old, who has the attitude of a little snotnose brat, yet he's been in the program for about 3 years and has a black belt."

This is exactly why it must be taught in the class. This should never happen in a good,traditional school. Personally, I don't tolerate egos in my school. There is no place for it. They don't get through my door. I have an interview, first on the phone, then in person, then an intro class. If they show signs of attitude, we simply say we don't have any openings at this time and we will call them when we do. However, it usually isn't an issue, as most of my students come through referrals. If a student brings someone in, they vouch for their character.

As far as stating that since you are paying HIM, you deserve to be taught whatever you like. This puts your Sifu on the level of a waiter, with your Mo-Kwoon being a resteraunt and you pick and choose what you will and will not be taught.
    Call me a dinosaur, but I tell my students that they are simply buying a membership to the Mo-Gwoon. What do they get? Nothing, but a roof over their heads, and a place to train with quality instruction. Everything else they have to work for. It must be earned-with sweat, and dedication. Just like on a ranch or a farm-"You don't work, you don't eat"
    I suppose I am a throwback to a time gone by. I don't have a huge glitzy school,no fancy uniforms which change with each level, or upsell membership, no patches,karate kid headbands. Just a school t-shirt and sash and pants. Oh, and we wear wrestling boots. We also spar with them on as well.
    BUT-my students are respectful,humble,and hard workers. The younger ones must maintain a specific grade point average, and most of them are honor roll students. The parents think this is the best thing that has happened to their kids, and the adults bring their kids to train as well. Scoff if you want-it's been working so far.
    Your school sounds like a great place.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I think that maybe your attitude is the one that needs work. It seems that general everyday resepct that we show all people (parents, sons and daughters, co-workers, teachers or even just people we meet on the street) is not good enough for you. To assume that somehow my parents (and from your indication, most American parents) are not teaching there children respect and honor is highly arrogant on your part. I know I would not want my children attending your school. If you made certain demands; such as wanting to know my child's GPA or private things about their lifestyle you would be told it was none of your business.

Also, the idea of picking and chosing your students is elitist and snobbish in our society. I would advise you to be careful. In this country you simply cannot refuse service to someone because "they show signs of attitude". You might find yourself on the wrong end of a discrimination lawsuit one of these days.

Finally, I never said I wanted to "pick and choose" what I learn. However if I pay my hard earned money for top notch instruction then that's what I expect.

actually, boulderdawg, a sifu is more than allowed to pick and choose whoever he sees fit to take as a student and he doesn't have to tolerate one minute of anything that is contradictory to the way he wants to do things.

that's the way it is. It is not a pay a fee get a service type thing it is a learning path that is unlike pretty much any other. It is exclusive and at many points it is very elite.

those who endure, can be easily seen in a crowd of pay for service types or what have you.

a "me first" attitude will get you nowhere and get you nothing in a traditional kungfu school and if that doesn't suit you, I wouldn't worry about it because you're not likely to get any anyway. the door is closed to you at the onset.

just sayin
    Kung Fu is good for you.