Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Kung fu in a standup street fight?

Real Kung fu in a standup street fight?

Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

old news.

my answer is no.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Please use the search.

If the definition of kung fu is 'hard work', doesn't that mean that any effort that anyone gives in a streetfight is kung fu?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    If the definition of kung fu is 'hard work', doesn't that mean that any effort that anyone gives in a streetfight is kung fu?
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

out of context
    - 45 street cred
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

No.

The words mean different things in Chinese and English.

the winking smiley at the end indicates a joke...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Alas our smiley fu is weak.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SevenStar

"No.

The words mean different things in Chinese and English."

Not from the books I've read, but okay.....what is the difference between the Chinese and English definition or the word "Kung-fu."

i think hes indicating how the average english speaking population sees kung fu as chinese martial arts.

and how the literal definition in chinese is not that.

but again totally out of context so...

-345 street cred
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel
    Alas our smiley fu is weak.

How's that for smiley fu?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

How's that for smiley fu?

+83 street cred
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

i think i've seen that guy giving homeless people hand jobs in the park.
    where's my beer?

Dude! That was like... totally weak!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Blog Entries
    I disagree on weakness, I've used my kung fu in street fights to knock out a few dudes and it probably looked similar.

This vid has been discussed on a few diff. boards.

Most people saying that it's not kung fu because of various reasons.

Mostly the:
    Stance preparation and it didn't look like when people do forms or kung fu movies.

Which are both big Peeves of mine. (Movies are fantasy!)

I had said this previously,

Posted: June 24 2005,2:07

As funny as the whole stance preparation is,

For the life of me, I hate when people associate kung fu from tv to real life. What I mean by this is...people thinking that real life use of kung fu (meaning hard work) should look like a movie.

I think the kid did pretty good. It was totally obvious what he was setting up on the homie kid. If he was Tae Kwon Do, it could have been a RidgeHand strike, although impact was the arm.

If it was kung fu...such as Hung Ga or Choy Li Fut, it looked most certainly like a basic inner forearm strike or a Sow Choy that just connected with his arm. This is a basic move.

If you delete everying else in the video and just watch the last 8 seconds. You'll realize that the Martial arts guy attempted the throw and set up the "SAID MOVE" 2 times before connecting on it on the 3rd time.

**That was the real fight, the last 8 seconds and it wasn't sloppy at all.

In anycase, it was clear, that he was intending to use this method and he clearly set the kid up for it.

But the whole stance thing was really not needed, too funny.

"O"

P.S.

Why is it that boxers get 12 rounds to set up an opponant and nobody calls them sloppy?

But a Martial arts guy (input ANY style here) can win in a fraction of the time and he looks no good.

It isn't a fair comparison. I repeat, last 8 seconds.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"