Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Seven Star Women's Kung Fu"

"Seven Star Women's Kung Fu"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3xzCbAsio

Is it kung fu?

Comments anyone?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I vote No.

That look kind of "Kenpoish" to me. Maybe she was nervous but she didn't do her form very well.
    Always learning

looks like krotty.

That just makes me sad. Poor girl.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

I didnt see and Mantis hand or foot work at all.

http://www.slate.com/id/55898/

http://www.judysbook.com/members/349...2006/3/280770/

They were the only place that had open sparring when I first moved to Seattle.

Of course, they don't allow men. Not sure that's so smart considering then the women won't know the strength required to fend off a real male attacker, but whatever.

Not just Karate, made up Karate. Even Karate while holding a fan.

Supposedly it's Kajukenbo ... not krotty.

Looks to me like some kind of Chinese style, but done with all the character and style of karate, i.e. some Karate student learned some Kung Fu forms but not the essential character that went with it and hung up a shingle.

ka-ju-ken-bo

karate-judo-kenpo-boxing.

Or something like that. A mix of things from Hawaii.

Well at least we all know what we're missing, I guess. It doesn't look like they have a clue as to what would be required to pull their techniques off on a resisting attacker.

http://www.7starwomenskungfu.org/instructors.htm Its a japanese system trying to pass itself off as kung fu, or at least they say they do kung fu there. its not a seven star mantis school.

Hey if it empowers women and has a good training regimen then more power to them. of course they should really call it something other than seven star. i thought i was going to see some mantis work in there. NOT. TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    http://www.7starwomenskungfu.org/instructors.htm Its a japanese system trying to pass itself off as kung fu, or at least they say they do kung fu there. its not a seven star mantis school.

Hey if it empowers women and has a good training regimen then more power to them. of course they should really call it something other than seven star. i thought i was going to see some mantis work in there. NOT. TWS
    Well it seemed pretty much like if they only trained with women they'd be clueless as to how to apply it against a resisting attacker.

And if the demo is any indication, she might as well be taking sewing for all the self defense she's not learning. But there's actually a lot of that around Seattle, non-martial martial arts.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    OMFG...i pretty much agree with neilyholt.

they are just as bad as any, ANY, school that isolates itself. they are not introducing enough variables to make their training valid.

empowerment of women is a good thing to a point. beyond making them comfortable enough to even think about training hard...they need to train against the hardest opponent they are likely to encounter...and it's not likely that's going to be another woman.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it is definately NOT a karate school passing itself off as Kung-Fu. Karate isn't that bad. They say they are from Kajukenbo, but I have seen much better stuff from them. These people are like bad kenpo-probably some beginner in a McDojo who got to green belt decided they were a master and created their own system. It is * udder nonesense.

*udder is intentionally misspelled