Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A Bruce two-fer

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce Lee

I did a search of all the bruce lee threads, and they all seemed pretty specific, rather than just a generic 'bruce lee' thread. Move this as you see fit.

I'm a fan of bruce lee much like i am of jackie chan, jet li, and donnie yen, arguably these 4 guys are the most famous of all kungfu action stars. as far as i know (correct me if i am wrong) bruce lee is the only one of those 4 that set up a standard kung fu school, open to the public.

I came across this today and thought it was neat and interesting. Its some of the original plans for how bruce decided to operate the jun fan gung fu institute.

Shannon Lee's Vlog
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Anyone got $23 mil?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 04:53 PM EST
    Bruce Lee’s Former Hong Kong Mansion For Sale; Live Like a King fu Master for $23M

(Photo : Reuters) The owner of the palatial residence, philanthropist Yu Pang-lin, said he was planning to sell the property for $23 million after talks with the government for the museum collapsed in 2011.

Legendary actor and master of Kung fu Bruce Lee's former Hong Kong, China home will be up for sale following numerous failed attempts to transform the property into a museum dedicated to the icon, according to the New York Daily News.

Lee's former home had fallen into a dismal state in recent years, and had been operating as a rundown "love hotel," the kind of hotel where couples pay by the hour, if you catch our drift.

The owner of the palatial residence, philanthropist Yu Pang-lin, said he was planning to sell the property for $23 million after talks with the government for the museum collapsed in 2011.

Like Us on Facebook

Lee's former home is a 5,000 square foot two-story house in Hong Kong's upscale residential district of Kowloon Tong.

Speaking to the South China Morning Post, Pang-lin said he originally wanted to see residence turned into a museum dedicated to Lee before he died. He also said he would only rent, not sell, the land on which it stood. The Town Planning Board rejected Yu's plan to build two floors under the Kowloon Tong house for formal exhibitions.

Pang-lin told the Singtao Daily the government rejected his proposal to expand the by adding three floors to include a cinema, library and martial arts training centre, which were his conditions to donate the property.

"I'm no longer considering (the museum plan) since the government is not supportive," the 90-year-old billionaire told Hong Kong's Chinese-language Singtao Daily in an interview.

"I'm running out of patience, I don't want to wait anymore," he said. Proving that even the oldest profession isn't recession proof, he added that the hotel owner hadn't paid rent in two-years because of poor business. The property is in disrepair and is in urgent need of renovation, he said.

(Photo: Reuters) Lee's home had turned into a rundown "love hotel" in recent years.

Famous for bringing martial arts international acclaim and recognition with classic Kung fu films like "Fists of Fury," and "Enter the Dragon," unsurprisingly, Lee's rabid army of fans have demanded a hometown tribute to the martial arts star since his untimely death in 1973 at the age of 32.

For whatever reason, the local Hong Kong government seems utterly apathetic to preserving Lee's legacy in a formal museum. In June of 2011, it said the group failed to reach a consensus with Pang-lin after two years of negotiations, without providing further details.

Lee's fans have vowed to not stop fighting for a monument worthy of their hero's legacy.

"If the house is sold and re-developed or demolished later, I think the Hong Kong people and Bruce Lee fans worldwide will be very disappointed," Wong Yiu-keung, chairman of the Bruce Lee Fan Club in Hong Kong, told AFP, according to the Daily News.

"We hope the government can try to persuade Yu again," he added.

Lee died in Hong Kong after a sever reaction to medication. The star's fans have long criticized the city for not providing a larger memorial than the statue that is currently on the town's waterfront Avenue of Stars.
    Bruce Lee - A Rare Look Inside His House - RARE FOOTAGE
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Alexander Fu Sheng later bought and lived in Lee's house. Fu Sheng died in a car accident 10 years after Lee died. Maybe that house has some bad feng shui?

Jimbo, don't get me started on feng sham...

...but a garden would be nice. Nothing like a nice garden for good feng shui...

Originally published Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    Latest snag for Lee garden: money

After years of planning and resistance from the University of Washington, organizers face one last challenge to creating a garden in honor of Bruce Lee and the Duwamish Tribe.

By Sarah Freishtat
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Jamil Suleman has fought for almost five years to create a community garden on the University of Washington’s campus commemorating minority contributions.

The self-described social activist has faced skepticism from the school’s administration. He’s changed the garden’s focus from a memorial to actor Bruce Lee to a garden promoting the teachings of Lee and the Duwamish Tribe.

Now he faces one more hurdle: raising the money for it.

“There is never going to be a true unification of people” as long as certain peoples and histories are ignored, said Suleman, who graduated from the UW in 2007 and now works as a freelance artist and tutor. “This garden is kind of a holistic effort to shine light” on those contributions.

The idea for the project originated during a class on the comparative history of ideas the 28-year-old Suleman taught at UW the fall after he graduated. Since its inception, the idea has gained support from the Bruce Lee Foundation, Lee’s family, community members and UW students.

The school, though now supportive of the effort, has declined to fund it.

Supporters hope to raise $100,000 by March; they say that would be enough to build and maintain the 2.5-acre Community Peace Garden on an untouched patch of land that houses native plants and animals, just south of Drumheller Fountain.

Initially, the UW resisted the effort to create a memorial to Lee, an action-movie star and martial-arts instructor who attended the UW and was buried in Seattle after his death in 1973.

A university spokesman questioned why this memorial should be on the UW campus, and why now. The official pointed out that Lee attended the UW for three years but did not graduate.

Supporters, however, argued that the school doesn’t adequately recognize its minorities. They maintained that Lee was one of its most famous students, so the school should honor his teachings and also that Lee had met his wife at the UW.

Suleman wanted to publicize Lee’s philosophical side as well. Lee preached unity and acceptance, teaching “under sky, under leaves, but one family.”

The garden’s organizers found a similar philosophy in Duwamish teachings, and incorporated the tribe into the plans. University officials began supporting the project, and landscape architect Katherine Kenney worked with Suleman to select a location.

During Suleman’s 2007 class, students originally wanted to honor Lee with a statue, but they decided Lee’s teachings would be better served through a meditative garden for students. They planned a garden that would intrude as little as possible on the native soil.

Shannon Lee, of California, the youngest of Bruce Lee’s two children, said she is happy about the choice to create a garden, saying it reflects her father’s lifestyle and teachings.

“I’m passionate about the depth and meaning of my father’s legacy, above and beyond the fact that he starred in a few films,” said Lee, who runs many companies and charities dedicated to her father. “This project speaks to that.”

Suleman approached Duwamish Chair Cecile Hansen last fall, wanting to provide a memorial to the region’s original occupants. While Hansen didn’t see exactly how her tribe fit into a Bruce Lee memorial, she was happy to accept Suleman’s offer.

“It doesn’t fit together, but any time they remember the tribe we love it,” Hansen said.

Suleman’s efforts have supporters outside the UW community. Stefan Grunkemeier, who works at Simply Rocks landscaping in Seattle, volunteered to design the garden, wanting to encourage his friend’s efforts.

“Jamil brings people together who normally wouldn’t be together,” Grunkemeier said. “That’s his persona. That’s the theme behind this project, and that was Bruce Lee’s philosophy.”

Sarah Freishtat: 206-464-2373 or sfreishtat@seattletimes.com
    Also, there's a museum fundraiser coming up...
    Bruce Lee Supporters Unite for Bruce Lee Action Museum Fundraiser
    Giant Fundraising Kickoff for Bruce Lee Action Museum in Seattle on February 9 Sponsored by HKAW Foundation
    Seattle, WA (PRWEB) February 01, 2013

A fundraising kickoff for the highly anticipated Bruce Lee Action Museum will be sponsored by the prestigious HKAW Foundation, on February 9th, 2013 at the Sheraton Hotel in Seattle. A record 1,000 people are expected to attend.

As a tribute to Bruce Lee, the seminal figure in the world of martial arts and a major figure in Asian American relations, Enter The Dragon cast members Bob Wall and John Saxon, UFC star Cung Le and other celebrities will be in attendance. Additionally, Bruce Lee’s wife, Linda, and daughter, Shannon will speak at the event.

Acclaimed Seattle-based couture fashion designer, Luly Yang will showcase a selection of her beautiful ****tail and evening creations for the event.

An auction that evening will feature rare Bruce Lee memorabilia, a special jewelry donation by Tiffany and Co., as well as amazing travel opportunities sponsored by Hainan Airlines, United Airlines, Park Hyatt Beijing, Park Hyatt Shanghai, Grand Hyatt Taipei, among others.

"I applaud the Bruce Lee Foundation and the Hong Kong Association of Washington for working to preserve and promote the life of one of Seattle's great cultural figures," said Mayor Mike McGinn. "I can't wait to visit the new museum."

Benjamin Lee, Chairman of HKAW Foundation says, “We are thrilled that the Bruce Lee Family have selected Seattle as the home for this fantastic museum and we are putting all our resources behind supporting this important future landmark for Seattle and the Asian Community.”

Says Shannon Lee, Chairperson of the Bruce Lee Foundation, “We are delighted that HKAW Foundation has chosen to support The Bruce Lee Action Museum. This museum will explore all things Bruce Lee and the richness of his legacy of meaningful action in such a complete way.”

For ticket information please refer to http://gala2013.hkawfoundation.org.

HKAW Foundation is a Seattle based 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity organization established by a group of Americans of Asian Descent community leaders and managed by world business leaders with the mission to share and support the advancement of arts, literatures, sciences, technologies and humanitarians regardless of race, religion, or political affiliation.
    The Bruce Lee Action Museum is a project of the Bruce Lee Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity whose mission is to preserve and perpetuate the legacy of Bruce Lee for generations to come. The Bruce Lee Foundation seeks to carry out its mission primarily through educational means with the Bruce Lee Action Museum being the ultimate expression of this mission.

HKAW Foundation
    Rudy Huang
    CIO/Program Director 2013 Chinese New Year Black Tie Gala
    206-552-9237
    Rhuang(dot)PR(at)hkawfoundation(dot)org

Bruce Lee Foundation
    Charlotte Parker
    Parker Public Relations
    818-990-2252
    CParkerPR(at)aol(dot)com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My my, what they can do with CGI nowadays....

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

EA Sports UFC: Play as Bruce!

I didn't see any threads related to this yet, anyway - be water my friend.

Nice jumpsuit

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BRUCE LEE: SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON 11/3-11/25 Sketchpad Gallery, San Francisco

BRUCE LEE: SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON

Friday, November 3, 2017 - 6:00 to 9:00

The Bruce Lee Foundation and Sketchpad Gallery are proud to present "Spirit of the Dragon", a Bruce Lee tribute art show. Featuring local and international artists who have contributed to work from companies such as Marvel Comics, DC, IDW, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Sony and others, this exhibition will showcase their interpretations of Bruce Lee and his teachings.
    Aw man, I should check this out. It's about three blocks from where I used to work in SOMA. I wish I had known because I was in SF last Friday and I'm not sure I'll be back before it closes. I'm scheduled to be in SF next Thursday, and not too far from there, but I'm on a schedule so I'm not sure if I'll have the luxury to check it out.

Also I could've sworn I already split 62 posts above into an independent Bruce Lee Museums and Gallery Exhibits thread from the Bruce Lee Memorials thread. But I can't find it so maybe it's just something I've thought about doing for a while and finally got around to it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boost Lee

Bruce Lee memorial or imitator?

You must follow the link to see the embedded vid because this Snap LDN isn't smart enough to place this on a platform that I can share virally easily (or I'm just not smart enough to find it this morning).

Boost "Finger of fury" by Snap LDN
    Added 8 hours ago

Boost, a new pay-as-you-go energy supplier, introduces Boost Lee, a character inspired by martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

Boost Lee stars in the brand’s launch campaign by Snap LDN and is meant to embody the power that the energy service provides. Boost soft launched in September and is an evolution of Ovo Energy’s Smart PAYG+ platform. Snap won the account after a pitch and developed the character in collaboration with the Bruce Lee Estate.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Bruce Lee: The Authorized Visual History by Steve Kerridge! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 3/15/2018.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In honor of the 45th anniversary of the passing of Bruce Lee...

...our first meme for our current issue.

THREADS:
    Summer 2018
    Bruce Lee: A Life by Matt Polly
    Bruce Lee Memorials
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips