2 MINS READ
Scallion latte: A controversial twist in China’s coffee craze
APRIL 27, 2024BY THE ASEAN DAILY

26-4-2024 (BEIJING) In recent years, China has witnessed a growing trend of specialty coffee, with unique combinations like beef balls and baby octopus finding their way into lattes, captivating the public’s curiosity. However, a new contender has emerged on the internet, causing heated discussions and raising eyebrows – the scallion latte. Could this mean that onions will become a mandatory ingredient in our coffee in the future? The unconventional taste has left many coffee enthusiasts and scallion lovers at a loss for words.

The recipe for a scallion latte involves blending a large cup of chopped green onions with milk, followed by the addition of espresso. Finally, the concoction is garnished with chopped green onions for decoration, resulting in a completed cup of green onion latte. This peculiar practice has gained significant attention on mainland China’s Douyin platform, eliciting mixed responses from netizens. Some wonder if they will have to bid farewell to onions even when enjoying their morning coffee. Coffee lovers and scallion enthusiasts alike found themselves in a perplexing situation. Mainland Chinese netizen Zhang Xiansen, who dislikes cilantro, simply commented, “Scallion latte.”

While the scallion latte may be visually striking, its taste is an acquired one. Many people have experimented with various spices to create unique lattes in recent years. Seafood, meat, and even spices have found their way into coffee creations. With the coffee market in mainland China growing increasingly competitive, small coffee shops are compelled to take unconventional routes in order to stand out against chains like Starbucks and Luckin Coffee.
I'd try this. I love scallions and enjoy a latte now and again (although I'm more a cappucino kinda guy). I can't imagine them going together well, but I'd be open minded about it.