Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector

Yes. Tarantino should leave the martial arts genre alone. It was bad enough at it's full running length. Cut down the plot and it's probably even worse.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Yes. Tarantino should leave the martial arts genre alone. It was bad enough at it's full running length. Cut down the plot and it's probably even worse.
    Sorry Simon but I have to waive my finger at you. This is a realy good mvie. A movie doesn't have to have a great story(though I wish it made sense) to be a good movie. Next thing you are gonna tell me that Ong Bak, Shaolin Temple Strieks back, or Jackie Chan's Young Master are not worth a watch.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Didn't like Ong Bakh (what it comes down to is I don't like Jaa and I don't like Thai cinematography)

Liked Jacky Chan's young master

Haven't seen Shaolin Temple Strikes Back
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

My point is that thoise are alll movies that really have trouble telling a story. I would rate Young Master the best fo the bunch becasue of the comedy but I rate the Protector ahead of them all. There is nothing like going to the movie theater and yelling and screaming becasue what is playing on the screen is so amazing.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

As much as anything else it's the cinematography and coreography. I could put up with the hokey "trying to save the elephants" network of holes called a plot if they filmed the movie better and I don't particularly like Jaa's style.
    Simon McNeil

What don't you like about Jaa? He can't act but can kick some serious ass! After watching District B-13 and then watching Jaa in action, B-13 looks like they are playing patticakes when fighting. Jaa should be arrested if he didn't show off all those moves and stunts on the movie screen.

For what it's worth, Tony Jaa has the type of (movie stunt) style that most likely won't last too many years. It requires extreme athleticism that depends on youth and having all your parts working perfectly. I myself will watch however many films he'll be able to do for the (probably few) years he has to raise the bar on a physical level.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, he's not really a good actor when he isn't fighting. Sort of like Tan Tao-Liang seems almost uncomfortable and unnatural when he isn't lifting his left leg and kicking with it.

Bumping this to remind everyone that the movie is now available (well, in the States anyhow) for rental/purchase -- I saw that there is a version available the soundtrack and there is also a version out with an additional 27 minutes of footage and deleted scenes...
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I have way too much to say about this movie and the new DVD release so here a link to my review. http://www.amazon.com/Protector-Tony...170985-7435957

BTW-click on 'see all customer reviews' and look for Morgoth. This just came out today and there will probably be many reviews ahead of mine. I could just post in on here post if you want but it is like 2 pages long.

Thumbs up three bonus movies

on disc 2 of the americain release of the protector there are 3 bonus movies that were from a contest. these were the top picks and made it to the dvd. my personal fave was the second one with the two swordsmen. prison fight and the movie on the subway car i didn't care for. i'd like to know other peoples thoughts on these amatuer flicks.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

I liked the prison one the best but the sword fight was cool. It was like a mini anime type movie. The fight on the train has to be pointed out just for the fact that it would be hard as hell to do a fight scene on a moving subway train. Also illegal.

Overall I have to say it is the best special edition DVD I have ever seen. And I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan!

My favorite special feature has to be the one where they show all 5 takes of the stariwell scene. Before and after each 4 minute take the director talks about how everything was planned and how it turned out. Pure martial arts movie fan heaven. I think I have watched this like 30 times.

when i watched the special feature on the 4 minute fight scene in my opinion they should have kept the fourth take. many of the fights had a faster real feel to it and the reasoning for using the fifth take didn't make any sense to me. who cares if the jar didn't break like they wanted it to. the shot with the guy tripping over the seat was great, the dresser broke when tony threw the guy into it, and the final guys face going into the vase looked more brutal. that guy had his head up his @$$ when he picked that take.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Like I said, best special feature OF ALL TIME. There are hundreds of things I loved about it. I think the part I like to watch the closest is where he throws that guy from the second floor down into that little house thing. The part we see in the movie he lands right in the middle of it. In the first take he lands a few feet to the right and crashed into the side of the house. One more foot and he would have landed right on the ground and probably died! Another take he lands a little to the right and the support beams don't break! I can't even imagine the pain that would be. I think it was the same stunt guy who did all 5 takes. No way he went on to be a stuntman after this!

Now I have to go watch this again. I don't think I will ever get tired of it

Since I got the DVD, I have only watched the Tom Yum Goong version, as it makes more sense to it. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that even in the bone-breaking sequence, there are a couple guys he takes out in TYG that have been cut out from The Protector version. Oh, and I love the special features.

I wonder why the American version made the trannie out to be a woman? It was already known that Jin Xing is a transsexual dancer from China, and the character Madame Rose is very obviously a transsexual as well. They said so in Mandarin, but in The Protector, at the dinner poisoning scene, the old guy says, "You're only a woman." In reality, he'd said, "You're neither a man nor a woman." When I saw The Protector in the theater, I was wondering what else might have been purposely mistranslated in Thai, which I do not understand at all.