Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FORBIDDEN KINGDOM: the movie

I appreciate that the monkey king story has a new life/twist on the big screen.

the original writer of the novel, wu cheng en

he would appreciate that, too.

http://www.china-on-site.com/monkey.php

forbidden kingdom: jacki chan & jet li

one is wearing white, one is wearing black. its on.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0865556/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7ny2bfXF0
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post

I'm looking forward to this, thanks GDA

cjurakpt Guest
    actual movie website

http://www.forbiddenkingdommovie.com/

looks very cool...

BTW, anyone notice that the young boy's character's last name is Tripitikas?
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 02-18-2008 at 06:52 AM.

cool.

looking forward to it.

I just hope Michael Angarano's kung fu doesn't suck.

As far as I know he doesn't have a Martial background.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I just hope Michael Angarano's kung fu doesn't suck.

As far as I know he doesn't have a Martial background.
    so what? I mean, Ralph Macchio didn't have a karate background and he was...oh...I see your point; never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    so what? I mean, Ralph Macchio didn't have a karate background and he was...oh...I see your point; never mind...
    Haha. I thought I was the only shlomo who dogged on The Karate Kid.

Jackie and Jet might do some OK stuff in this flick. Jet seems to hate being in hollywood films, so I dont expect his performance to be very inspired. I'm going to be watching to see what Wu Jing does(yes, as much as I think this movie will stink, I will probably still see it) Maybe he will play a villain. He was good as a villain in Sha Po Lang.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-18-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Haha, just looked at IMDB, this Michael Agnarano kid was the main kid in Sky High. He is a Shia LeBoeuf clone. Oh well, I'm just glad they didnt get some super pretty boy, stuck up A$$-hole.

As much as I hate to admit it, I kinda want to see this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    Haha. I thought I was the only shlomo who dogged on The Karate Kid.

Jackie and Jet might do some OK stuff in this flick. Jet seems to hate being in hollywood films, so I dont expect his performance to be very inspired. I'm going to be watching to see what Wu Jing does(yes, as much as I think this movie will stink, I will probably still see it) Maybe he will play a villain. He was good as a villain in Sha Po Lang.
    wu jing being listed in the cast of this film is actually a typo because he's actually in mummy 3 not forbidden kingdom. as for the kid from what my source tells me he was casted because he looked like shia, who was the person they originally wanted in the film.

11. Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post

Awesome, that is just what I wanted to hear! Can't wait to see these two go at it on film.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    I appreciate that the monkey king story has a new life/twist on the big screen.

the original writer of the novel, wu cheng en

he would appreciate that, too.

http://www.china-on-site.com/monkey.php

Have you seen this? Monkey King manga

Slightly OT

But it mentioned Jackie and Jet (Jaa too, but we won't dwell on that), so I decided to put it here.

Where are all the heroes?
    Joe Queenan
    February 29, 2008

A JUMBO-SIZED Sylvester Stallone prowling through the Burmese jungle in search of captive missionaries is surfacing in movie houses everywhere. The fourth instalment in the Rambo series, this one fusing violence and religion with a deftness and delicacy no one has approached since the Son Of God went head to head with the Roman Empire in the Passion Of The Christ, Rambo IV: This Time I Mean It has been released a full 20 years after the last one lifted our hearts and buoyed our spirits. In Rambo III, it will be remembered, Stallone achieved his physical apotheosis as the most muscular muscleman in the history of muscular muscularity. But 1988 was a long time ago - so long ago that Rambo and the mujahideen were fighting on the same side in war-torn Afghanistan. So long ago that Stallone did not immediately elicit guffaws in the theatre when his vengeful alter ego appeared on the screen.

For better or worse, the motion picture industry is now experiencing the disappearance or extinguishing of certain stars it is going to have a tough time replacing. This is particularly serious in the action hero genre. Just as there are franchise movies - Spider-Man, Shrek, The Matrix and, apparently, Rush Hour - there are franchise actors: Cary Grant, Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise. These are bankable stars who so completely dominate a genre that when they fade away or die, it's hard to replace them. There was never another Steve McQueen. We are still awaiting the second coming of Sean Connery. We may not even be able to find a replacement for Keanu Reeves.

The fact that Rambo IV is out and the fact that Harrison Ford will soon light up the screen in the fourth Indiana Jones escapade, indicates not only that Ford and Stallone are in bad need of a hit, and are loath to exit gracefully but that Hollywood has not found anyone to replace them. Yet, just as Daniel Craig was recently commandeered to replace Pierce Brosnan, Hollywood should have recruited someone to move into the Rambo franchise years ago. The problem has been apparent for some time. After all, it has been years since Arnold Schwarzenegger's dwindling box office appeal persuaded him to launch a second career in politics, and even longer since it became obvious that Stallone and Ford were no longer credible action heroes. At the moment these careers were imploding or, in Ford's case, winding down, two young stars emerged who looked like they might have what it took to replace Arnold and Sly as the kings of the action genre: Vin Diesel and The Rock. But, so far, they have not seized the crown. The Rock, who has a warm, self-deprecating style, failed to take the world by storm in films such as The Scorpion King, The Rundown, Last Man Standing or Doom. And even though he stole the show out from under John Travolta with his winning turn as a disoriented, gay bodyguard and country and western singer in Be Cool, no one actually saw the film, so it didn't do much to advance The Rock's career. The Rock's biggest hit to date is the recent The Game Plan, an inane ball of fluff that purports to be a heartwarming comedy. The fact is, the public hasn't had a chance to weary of The Rock as an action hero. He's never had a hit as an action hero

Diesel, anointed the next big thing after The Fast And The Furious and before xXx, has mostly been in a string of duds since then. More a sight gag than a performer, the bovine, robotic Diesel had his most recent success with The Pacifier, a not-especially-funny comedy in which he played a Schwarzenegger-like bodyguard charged with protecting a family of demonically annoying children. What this means is that The Rock, in making The Game Plan, was not only following in Schwarzenegger's footsteps; he was following in Vin Diesel's. This is embarrassing.

Some people still don't think that Arnie and Stallone ever had much to offer, that their success was more the result of good scripts, good directors, good timing and good luck. This may be true. But if they didn't have much, Vin Diesel doesn't have anything.

With only Bruce Willis, and, to a lesser extent, Hugh Jackman to fall back on as action heroes not yet collecting social security, the industry is facing serious problems in this sector. And elsewhere. A few years ago, it became apparent that Jet Li was starting to wind down his career as a star of top-shelf martial arts films. Never more than an adequate actor but a charismatic screen presence, Li had been sharing the martial arts marquee with Jackie Chan for some time. But unlike Chan, a gifted comic actor and amazing stuntman, Li is a true master of the martial arts, whose gyrations are breathtaking. More classically appealing than the legendary Bruce Lee, Li had gradually turned himself into a bona fide international movie star whose films actually enabled him to break out of the kung fu ghetto. But Li is now in his 40s and probably knows it's time to exit the martial arts cosmos.

Speeding his departure are unexpected successes such as Ong Bak, a martial arts extravaganza starring the 32-year-old Tony Jaa. Jaa's non stop aerial stunts were so breathtaking that he seemed at the time to be a natural to replace Li, particularly because he also has a boyish aura that makes him credible as a hero, unlike Norris, Van Damme and Seagal, who always seemed a bit sinister. But Warrior King, the follow-up to Ong Bak, did nothing at the box office, suggesting that even if Li is prepared to surrender his throne, Jaa is not ready to occupy it. Jaa might also think about working on his English; it never hurts to master the language of the people most likely to make you rich. Though, come to think of it, Schwarzenegger never bothered to master English and it sure didn't hurt him.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

They may be trying to add the teen male demographics (Hannah Montana male crowds!) with the parents=family 4-6 people, you have a larger money making weekend vs the 1-2 buddies out to see an action flick with Li and Chan.

The buzz is beginning...

...in New Zealand...
    Jet Li and Jackie Chan square off (+video)
    11:51AM Monday March 10, 2008

Two titans of the kung fu world Jet Li and Jackie Chan square off in China's most expensive film ever made.

Jet Li, born Li Lianjie in Beijing, started practicing the martial arts, or Wushu, when he was eight. He won several national championships as a teenager before he gained instant fame for his role in the 1982 China-made movie Shaolin Temple. He is now the most paid Chinese actor in Hollywood.

Jackie Chan is arguably the most famous Chinese kung fu movie actor, famous for his comedy-style kung fu fighting. Starting a career from early 1970's, he has played roles in over 100 films.

Li said the opportunity to square off with Chan was a life-long dream come true - for both of them. "After 15 years, we finally have the chance to fight each other. We are very happy. We have some 27 or 28 years of fighting experience and it was easy for us to work together."

The film tells the story of a young American boy who finds a magic stick in Chinatown. He gets transported back in time and to China where he's destined to save the mythological figure, the Monkey King.

The Chinese action blockbuster premieres in April.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart