http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90guNZ_QhjU
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Part 1 went up this morning, Parts 2 & 3 will follow during the week:

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0

Here's the teaser:

Emei Connection: Wing Chun and the Twelve Posts

"A few months ago I found out Grandmaster Fu Wei Zhong, the 13th lineage holder of the 800 year old Emei tradition, was coming to Boston. I contacted a few of my friends who study Alchemy/Qi Gong/Martial Arts to ask if they wanted to come with me to meet the Grandmaster of this science. One of my teachers and one of my training partners decided to sign up. The event was five days, 9am-5pm, with an hour for lunch (and lunch turned out to be some of my most memorable moments). What follows is a discussion of my experiences with this exceptional man..."

Good stuff. I wonder what the VT Museum and HFY108 have to say about this?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hi Jim R.

I look forward to reading the whole article. Hopefully you will go into what corrections were made in your stance by the emei master.

Incidentally there are different kinds of yoga that originated in India and I think became part of different transmissions which were adapted and adopted locally in different ways and places. Yoga at its best is also a physical/mental/spiritual discipline. The old Indian martial arts included some versions of yoga in their disciplines.

But coming by analogy and metaphorically to the snake and crane- yoga standing postures include the concept of the central axis- in my language(Bengali)-the seerda(n)ra-
    the spinal standing energy channel...and esoteric Hinduism and Buddhism and Tantra- adds the kundalini- the serpent power- the coiling and uncoiling energy-which first using the axis and then other channels works its way through the entire body. The fusion has health and martial implications. Thanks for sharing your encounter with the emei master. Look forward to reading the rest.
    Joy Chaudhuri

I apologize for the delay in posting, I was without electricity for a couple days (and unlike where Joy lives, Montreal is *not* a dry heat )

I've put up a few more sections, and will hopefully have it done later today. (In between catching up on, ya know, real work...)

Hello,

A-lich!

I am sure some will enjoy it and some will not. Its all good!

Joy,

The corrections made were directed towards the Snake Hand stuff and not the YJKYM. The YJKYM and GM Fu's Wu stance were the same. Thanks for the info on Yoga stuff. GM Fu's art is not Martial Art synthesis but rather physical/mental holistic balance. The art is very Chinese! Comparing it to Yoga was the best way to bring the point accross of its practices. I dont want people to think these guys are Snake Boxers with combat training. This is not the case.

Look forward to more comments!
    Jim

Jim's theory is not mutually exclusive to what has come before--it's complementary.

If you personally believe in the Ng Mui/Yim Wing-Chun version, with Ng Mui being the White Crane mistress, then this just helps clarify what the Snake element could have been.

If you personally believe in the Jee Shim/Shaolin account, this just helps clarify why Wing Chun Kuen is different from other types of Southern Fist.

And the same holds true for other theories. Whatever the "next step" or "shift" might have been, this is a candidate to help explain and elaborate it.

Snake and Crane

Rene- agreed. The metaphor of the snake finds a root.

In some versions of the interesting Ng Mui story- she finds a refuge in a temple.

As discussed before-these are not definite histories in the "modern" sense of a documentary history of the New Deal etc. But metaphors can be important sources of insight.

Jim-Not a "martial synthesis"....perhaps not in fighting by the emei monks- but the
    emei drawings that Hendrik has, that I have seen clearly show martial postures which suggest both martial structure and function. One I recall- has two person interaction- the stance is there with a palm to the chest. The paths of martial energy are quite apparent if seen in a non dualistic way IMO..

joy chaudhuri

Hey Joy,

Certainly if someone watched the 12 Way or Emei art they would indeed think it was Kung Fu proper. All the elements of Kung Fu proper are there but the emphacis is directed towards the Healing/Enlightment.

Its similar to when someone see's some part of our art and says that is a technique. Someone else see's the same thing and says that is cultivation. And so on. My only concern with this info was that WC people may think these guys are Snake fighters and look to them for that. Its not the case.

Yet! We have something very very interesting to think about with that in mind.

How about our Bai Jong?

Most south fist and Fukien Crane arts use the Open Door type policy yet Wing Chun align the wrist on centerline. In the Emei art, when the practitioner performs his sets, the hands line up in front of the chest or heart area, elbows relaxed down and wrists lined up on centerline with the front side of the back hand (pinky edge) lightly touching the Back of the lead hand on the Thumb side edge. This pretty much forms the Bai Jong of WCK. Is this how Miao Shun possibly took the Hut Yee Sao (beggar hand) open door policy of South Fist and concetrate it to a different approach? His Snake and Crane way?

Lots to think about with this stuff. GM Fu's generosity opens lots more room for future research.

Jim

Snake & Crane

Hey guys,

Emei Snake

Is this our Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma roots?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3782601&q=Emei

What if the above was blended with the below:

Fukien White Crane

http://www.fujianbaihe.com/fujianbaihe/index.html

Would the results possibly be our Snake and Crane?

Jim

Hey RR,

Jim's theory is not mutually exclusive to what has come before--it's complementary.

If you personally believe in the Ng Mui/Yim Wing-Chun version, with Ng Mui being the White Crane mistress, then this just helps clarify what the Snake element could have been.

If you personally believe in the Jee Shim/Shaolin account, this just helps clarify why Wing Chun Kuen is different from other types of Southern Fist.

And the same holds true for other theories. Whatever the "next step" or "shift" might have been, this is a candidate to help explain and elaborate it.

I agree!

I also think this can show an important possiblity of why mutual friendship between the two families! If Lee Man Mao was a White Crane guy who lead the troups and the Soft Crane family shows up and are accepted in as friends to the Junks. Why? Chinese are very tribal and different clans do not get along. Heck! People from different towns dont even get along! Why then did the Lee Man Mao White Crane and the Soft Snake & Crane of the Yim family become friends? Was it because they Both Share the Same Root? From the same Family? Is this why the two arts stories are so intertwined and have been associated in some ways for many generations including today?

The Soft Crane art and the White Crane boys may have used their ancestral roots as grounds for friendship and sharing.

Peace,
    Last edited by Jim Roselando; 08-04-2006 at 07:28 AM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando
    Hey guys,

Emei Snake

Is this our Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma roots?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3782601&q=Emei

:

Looks more like the pee pee dance !
    just put him outside of a long line at a bathroom ,,,,he would fit right in !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hey E,

ROFLOL

Too funny! Hey! An old mantis friend used to call our YJKYM:

The woman p1ssing stance!

So, your not the only one with that thought.

Jim

HAHAHA Ernie ...good one....I do the same chi gong in a bar in the line....

Rene... here in ottawa no problem of electricity ...but very hot this last week ...

I have to read more ur article to be able to comment ....but the goal is to demystify from where WC came..right ? The legend of Ng Mui like the pere Noel(santa claus) here ...I really like ur work...

Does U could find some reference between yes the shaolin(hard style) and the internal style like Hsing I or pakua in Wing Chun?

came back soon

Steeve