Thread: MTV2's FINAL FU

Hybrid View

You auditioned?

Tell us more about that, Eliver! We'd love to hear details.

Here are some links I just poached off jiayo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kDGadsbvQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mjcRVnJV4

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well, I was finishing up my last month studying abroad in Taiwan last december when I saw the ad. I was going to return on the 20th, which was a little bit past the end of the auditions, but they saw my resume and were willing to give me a look and said they'd call me. When I got back, I didn't have any messages on my cell phone. Apparently, they left me a message the night before on the 19th. But I didn't get it until the night of the 21st. So when i finally called them back, they told me they already closed the auditions but would be willing to give me a look if they do this another season. I didn't feel too bad though. I'd actually like to get even better if I'm going to be representing wing chun. Showing from the clips, I think if i learned the dragon pole training, it might help.

so i watched the trainwreckof a show last night too. the one guy's style is EMC (extreme monkey combat). he said he and his friend made it up and he is a master of it. when these words came out of my television i actually punched myself in the face. i hope i gave myself a loud and clear message in case i am tempted to watch it again. furthermore, i feel as though any style that has the word extreme in it should automatically pull a jim jones (that would be so EXTREMEly awesome).

Thumbs down Extreme Lameness...

Everyone that has anything to do with that show deserves an "extreme asswhoopin'.

I think its would be a bad idea for any real fighter to go on that show.
    Wing chun especialy. The challenges and more so the sparing would be super stacked against you i.e. jumping kick worth 3 points. How much do we train ariel kicks in wing chun. And these challenges. you really dont need and fighting ability at all. Not to mention i just know that I would get kicked off first time i tried to fight because when the fists start flying i am going to punch one of them dudes in the face without thinking about it and knock thier ass out.
    The only challenge i kinda wanna see are the one where they have to hold the bowls on thier arms and keep em stait long as pos.....who wants to bet these TKDers all drop it in no time.

yeah, that's one thing I don't like. They're encouraging a lot of spinning and flying with the 3 point shots. I've done TKD for a long time as well, so I have no problem flying around if need be. But I'd probably feel like a kid in a toy store for the very first time if they allow leg kicks. Especially with all these guys flying around. In close range, like I said, all the guys we've seen just spasm out like they're having a seizure or they start running away. It looks like they'd be pretty screwed against someone who can hold their centerline (without grabbing) and start tapping away at their ribs. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the black guy who does boxing and kenpo just so i can see someone who will use his hands.

You'd also have some guys who try to turn it into full contact like that one white TKD dude (wow, that really narrowed it down didn't it?) last night. The second you try shoving your ego onto me like that with just kicks, i'm taking your leg out.

In the end, it's 25 grand. That's a lot of money I can use for tuition with my sifu and sihing and even possibly some BJJ classes on the side.
    Last edited by Eliver; 07-19-2006 at 05:40 PM.

I only have local TV channels. May be I will update my cable subscrpition.

There are many ways to have "game shows" on the TV.

May be call it fighting game show and not final or ultimate fu!

1. jepardy for MA history, theory and philosphy.

History for 200.
    Dong Hai Chuan. Who is the creator of Ba Gua Zhang.

Zhang Sen Feng. Who is the daoist priest theoried Tai Chi Quan.

--- who is the first teacher/ o sensei of Aikido.

--

2. pushhands, Shuai Jiao etc etc game shows.

3. look at the move or posture and name the move and the style.

white crane spread wing, yang tai chi.

Shun Shi Zhang the third old palm Cheng Ba Gua.

4. watch a clip and name the actor and movie. listen to a theme song and name the movie.

Shaolin soccer, Zhou Xing Chi 2001?
    --

etc etc.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-19-2006 at 07:37 PM.

It's a pretty sucky show. It makes MA look really lame and nerdy. I doubt it will make anyone want to learn it with those fights. The contact level is extremely limited (I used to think the Taji Legacy refs were restrictive on contact).

Even with all that....I haven't missed an episode. I feel like I have to support it even though it sucks.

Worst show ever. This just gives traditional martial arts a bad name. First they all look like models who could not get a job. None of them could fight for ****. Some of the competitions are a joke. You cant hit to the face. You cant have excessive force even if your just hitting to the body. The show is just a disgrace. I actually put a application in and if I get on the show I'm just going to beat the **** out of the first person I fight. Dont care if I get disqualified. This show could of been great too.

The idea of Final Fu is a good one.

But maybe it's not that great in its current form.

The idea, I believe, is to find the best all around martial artist.

How do you do this? Through certain physical challenges that measure speed, strength, endurance, flexibility, balance and warrior spirit. You also do this through sparring matches.

Final Fu does well with the physical challenges. It falls short with the sparring because it is downgraded with restrictions to level the playing field. This leveling of the playing field actually allows a lesser martial artist to excell if they play by rules better than their opponent.

Another place where MTV has come up short with Final Fu is in the selection of the martial artists. The field is domminated by Tai Kwon Do and Karate practitioners. There is very little representation from other arts. To me, this gives a lopsided view of what martial arts are.

I sorta understand the light contact rule. This is a TV show. What makes it interesting is all the different players. If a player gets injured on day one they may not be able to participate in the rest of the show. I think this is why they went with light contact. Maybe there were insurance issues too. Who knows. Still, I believe they should wear head gear and allow shots to the head. It would make the show a bit more realistic. BUT I also don't want to see a 6' guy KO a 5'6" girl.

If I had my own martial arts school, I would have a Final Fu tournament about every 6 months or so with my students. I think it does a good job of identifying weak points in fitness and martial skill.

So how would you bring a Final Fu-esque tournament to your school. What challenges would you have? How would you handle the sprring? How would you handle paticipants of different sizes and abilities?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Based on the "Hung-Gar" guy getting DQ'D for excessive contact on the 4"8,
    95 LB, TKD girl I think the Men and Women should be seperated. A 20MPH gust of wind would be excessive force against the 95lb chick. It should be 15 guys and 15 women and two winners instead of one. You guys are right on the money with the 3rd degree black belt chicks having poor technique in their matches. The Red Dragon Karate chicks walk right in to punches and kicks. Hard to maintain control when that's happening. The Olympic TKD Chick will probably win the whole thing. She was almost in tears during the challenge, but she was racking up points against the karate guy, because Olmpic TKD is all about point sparring. Change the name of the show to the Final Do, not Final Fu. The deck is clearly stacked for the TKD'ers to win it all, or maybe the Monkey Combat guy since he looks flashy on TV. For me the show is watchable but not respectable. They are looking for something other than the best possible martial artist.
    Last edited by jstreet; 08-01-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    Everyone that has anything to do with that show deserves an "extreme asswhoopin'.

I think its would be a bad idea for any real fighter to go on that show.
    Wing chun especialy. The challenges and more so the sparing would be super stacked against you i.e. jumping kick worth 3 points. How much do we train ariel kicks in wing chun. And these challenges. you really dont need and fighting ability at all. Not to mention i just know that I would get kicked off first time i tried to fight because when the fists start flying i am going to punch one of them dudes in the face without thinking about it and knock thier ass out.
    The only challenge i kinda wanna see are the one where they have to hold the bowls on thier arms and keep em stait long as pos.....who wants to bet these TKDers all drop it in no time.
    lol you dont even have enough control to hit someone below the head you have no skill, thats like saying oh if I fought in the ufc I would just use my dim mak and kill them casue when the fists start flying I cant help myself.