Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTV2's FINAL FU

Hybrid View

MTV2's FINAL FU

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It sounds like a very good program to showcase different MA styles across the states.

MTV is martial TV or musical TV?

Well... lots of "Do", but not enough "Fu". The cast is the usual MTV formula. I wonder how they'll work in a secret relationship and a hot tub... I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and turned it off.

TV bad... I'm gonna go train.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

.thats like 20 or 30 blows landed each.....and neither one got hurt...WTF?
    boxers go through 10 rounds and often neither get hurt or knocked down, wtf.
    Last edited by Hieronim; 08-04-2006 at 12:37 AM.

Final Fu...PooPoo?

Wow that def takes my vote as worst show ever. I would rather watch the kung fu k-9 on the family channel.
    With everyone being TKD and Karate shouldnt they have called it Final Do(rk)?
    And they threw in a Wing Chun "master" as a fight judge. well thanks for the thought Reyes, but no thanks. I guess you had to be able to do 10ft spinning back kicks to get on the show. Cause if you cant kick bigfoot in the face your not a Martial artist.
    what a stupid challenge "bull in a china shop" well the bull part is right. These guys didnt even have to kick the targets. I think i saw that same challenge on family double dare!
    In the fight in the end the points were like 75 to 86....thats like 20 or 30 blows landed each.....and neither one got hurt...WTF? They should have just had a breakdance battle.
    I wish I had four hands, So I could give it four thumbs down!
    MTV2 should stick to reruns of punked and the Andy Milanocis show.

I am sure i will watch it again.....its like slowing down for a car crash. Kinda the same way i get stuck watching benny hinn perform his christian healing majic. Its so horrid but i cant make myself look away......

I caught the last ten minutes of an episode last night. The two guys with the lowest points had to "spar." They called it light contact sparring or some such, but when one guy made the slightest of contact with the other guy's head, they warned him, then deducted a point. It looked like an old school girly girl slap/pillow fight. One guy had the other one backing up the whole fight, was totally dominating him in their little silly game of tag, and still lost on points.

There's an XMA guy on the show, and they actually list that as his style. Nuff said.

I've said before on these boards that point sparring is the devil (more or less). It actually trains people to be worse fighters than if they had no training at all. Just watch an episode, and my point will be made, you'll see guys wading into each other throwing rapid fire strikes without any structure (because raw number of hits is all that counts), and without any effort to protect their heads.

My favorite part is the collective delusion among the participants. It takes me back to some of my very early training. The people participating really think that their performance in this competition represents some indication of genuine martial prowess, like the guy that can do a flying spinning back kick the highest and ****hest is the most dangerous person on the planet. I just can't believe there are still people who are so naive.

This show sucks ever so badly, because I also can't look away from such a trainwreck.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

I feel like if this show goes on for another season, its ratings will mostly be contributed to 8 year old kids and people who can't stop watching its atrocity.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

Martial Arts reality shows

I haven't seen FINAL FU because it's MTV and I don't get MTV. But I think the concept of a martial arts reality show is intrinsically interesting. Didn't some American network do some sort of action star/stunt person reality show? And wasnt' Chuck Norris going to do something? Or did that morph into his team NHB show? I've heard there's one going in the UK - is it called FIGHT CLUB? China has a very popular one going right now called K-STAR. It's been going since April 2006 and they just held auditions in LA.

Are there more martial arts reality shows? I don't watch a lot of TV and I generally hate reality shows, um, except for America's Top Model .
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I friend of mine was telling me of a fight club type show that features sillicon Valley type nerds beating each other up with key boards and/or other equally absurd weapons of choice. Has anyone else seen such a show?

Quote Originally Posted by dwid
    I caught the last ten minutes of an episode last night. The two guys with the lowest points had to "spar." They called it light contact sparring or some such, but when one guy made the slightest of contact with the other guy's head, they warned him, then deducted a point. It looked like an old school girly girl slap/pillow fight. One guy had the other one backing up the whole fight, was totally dominating him in their little silly game of tag, and still lost on points.

There's an XMA guy on the show, and they actually list that as his style. Nuff said.

I've said before on these boards that point sparring is the devil (more or less). It actually trains people to be worse fighters than if they had no training at all. Just watch an episode, and my point will be made, you'll see guys wading into each other throwing rapid fire strikes without any structure (because raw number of hits is all that counts), and without any effort to protect their heads. And find me one clip of a kung fu fioght on the net that doesnt look like a *****/slap fest, esp with wing chun.

My favorite part is the collective delusion among the participants. It takes me back to some of my very early training. The people participating really think that their performance in this competition represents some indication of genuine martial prowess, like the guy that can do a flying spinning back kick the highest and ****hest is the most dangerous person on the planet. I just can't believe there are still people who are so naive.

This show sucks ever so badly, because I also can't look away from such a trainwreck.

first off it isnt point sparring, because they dont stop after getting hit like in those old karate tourneys they kep going so its full contact. And secondly hitting to the head is also illegal in kyoukishin and almost any karate style. Watch that movie fighting black kings where thos ekung fu guys get killed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronim
    first off it isnt point sparring, because they dont stop after getting hit like in those old karate tourneys they kep going so its full contact. And secondly hitting to the head is also illegal in kyoukishin and almost any karate style. Watch that movie fighting black kings where thos ekung fu guys get killed by them.
    Full contact? You're an idiot. Ever hear of "continuous point sparring." There is nothing full contact about final fu.

As far as your comments about boxing. Strike two. Nobody goes 10 rounds boxing and is not hurt. They maybe don't show it during the match because of adrenaline and whatnot, but those guys are like walking bruises for the next several days. The difference is that the final fu peeps, being so unused to any physical contact at all in their combat simulations are just gigantic p@ssies who treat minor contact as the end of the world.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

there is no such thing as continuous pioint sparring. if its ocntinuous its not point sparring. Just because they dont hit hard doesnt mean they cant, or what you see on tv could be deceiving. How do you know they arent bruised up too afterwards? And most kung fu people are pussies btw that dont do anything regarding contact, and fight like nothing out of their style.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    I am sure i will watch it again.....its like slowing down for a car crash. Kinda the same way i get stuck watching benny hinn perform his christian healing majic. Its so horrid but i cant make myself look away......

I agree with the Benny Hinn comment; but it's not like watching a car crash.

It's like watching 2 retards driving bumper cars made out of nitro glycerin with babies strapped to the front.... I just could not stop watching.

I've only watched maybe 1 or 2 full episodes. From what I've seen so far the girls had the best fight, with the young latina scoring a knockdown off a nice body shot.

I'd love to get an audition by kicking like a TKD/XMA dweeb and then show up to the taping, bust out a full ram muay, and break some of them metro-lookin dudes.
    "WARNING! No head contact! uhhh i think we're gonna have to wake him up.... Can anyone call a doctor?!?"

Poor Ernie Reyes man... He's fought under Saekson & can really go... I guess it's karma tho... i mean he did help bring about the era of the sport karaddy...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I don't have MTV

I feel like I have to support it even though it sucks.
    I hear ya, Shaolindynasty. MTV is a novel platform to showcase martial arts. It's an interesting sign of our times. But I haven't seen anything yet beyond the youtube stuff. That looks entertaining, but it's only a few minutes long. A whole episode might not be so. I'll withhold judgement until I see it. It reminds me of this old episode of Fantasy Island where these two martial artists had to duel through a breaking obstacle course. They were actors so it was totally fake. I saw it with my cousin, the one who actually got me started in kung fu, and we laughed our heads off. We found it very entertaining, even though it wasn't 'good.'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

final do

i remember when this came out, i got a call from one of the producers, who i met a while back, they told me they got alot of mmixed ma and other style but no kung fu! when i sent them some guys i knew who were good at kung fu, they didn't want them cause it didn't look like tkd! suck right!!!! that shows you they don't even know what they want