Thread: Schools in washington dc

Schools in washington dc

Hi everyone. I'm moving to DC for work, and I was hoping someone could recommend a school down there. I'm currently doing northern (long fist) shaolin, and I would like to stick with a northern style even if there are no long fist classes down there.

I'm probably going to be working fairly late on a regular basis, so a school within the district would be the most useful since it allow me to actually get there for weeknight classes.

Thanks in advance

My recommendations for DC area is Team Lloyd Irvin. BJJ/MuayThai/MMA/etc so not exactly what you were requesting but go in for a couple free classes if you get a chance.

Arlington: http://www.novamma.com

http://www.lloydirvin.com/adult/bjj/affiliates.html

Sifu Olthal Thomas teaches northern mantis in DC (actually might be silver spring, MD), he posts as Seung Ga Faat on this board and is a real cool dude. Northern mantis has some roots in northern longfist so you'd definitely have quite a bit of carry over in addition to picking up some new mantis stuff.

Tien Shan Pai is another northern style that teaches in and around DC but I'm not sure who's still active and teaching in city limits; probly CC Liu in Chinatown, but I think he mainly teaches internal these days.

Wong Chinese Boxing is the place to go for Southern Longfist- it's got a lot more northern influence than you might assume.

The bad thing about DC is that what part of town you live in makes a HYUGE difference. Schools in Arlington and Herndon which are only a few miles away can often be out of the question due to the traffic. Might be better to get situated, check this site for a tournament date, go and talk to whichever school impresses you the most to find out if you can train there.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I know Sifus Wong and Thomas personally. Both are staunch hardcore traditionalists, and work very hard at training their students to the best of their ability.
    Sifu Thomas and I met in SVA in NYC in about '78 and we used to hang out and train together, and have been friends ever since. He is a very giving, caring Sifu, and I am proud to be aquainted with him.
    Sifu Wong has been an inspiration to me in his total devotion to his students, and in carrying out the daunting task of maintaining traditional Chinese Martial Arts in his annual tournament. His students are all very well mannered,and of high calibre.
    You should also check out the other Jow-Ga schools=Hoy Lee does some amazing stufff with his guys. Ask Tailik-Johnson-Sifu is one of the top guys in his field. These guys rock!
    BTW-this is coming from someone who really doesn't care too much for people who try to pass themselves off as TCMA-call me a snob, but deal with it. There is just so much bullsheite in CMA and these guys stand apart from the crowd.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-24-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    I know Sifus Wong and Thomas personally. Both are staunch hardcore traditionalists, and work very hard at training their students to the best of their ability.
    Sifu Thomas and I met in SVA in NYC in about '78 and we used to hang out and train together, and have been friends ever since. He is a very giving, caring Sifu, and I am proud to be aquainted with him.
    Sifu Wong has been an inspiration to me in his total devotion to his students, and in carrying out the daunting task of maintaining traditional Chinese Martial Arts in his annual tournament. His students are all very well mannered,and of high calibre.
    BTW-this is coming from someone who really doesn't care too much for people who try to pass themselves off as TCMA-call me a snob, but deal with it. There is just so much bullsheite in CMA and these guys stand apart from the crowd.

i agree with you on this
    Sifu Wong is a good man. i call him up and tell him my school name and hes like oh adam lueb how you doing? or i tell him my name and state and hes like pioneer valley right? and your sifu is yada yada yada. great man, teacher and his students are nice people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check all that out once I get down there in a couple weeks.

Cheers

There is also Wah Shing on 7th Street just off the corner of H st. right bye MCI center. The metro (subway) has a stop right on the corner of 7th & H. They are above one of the only martial arts stores left around there. I never went there or have seen them demonstrate outside of CNY, but I understand they teach northern longfist/wushu.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    just a 3rd or 4th opinion on Sifu Thomas and Sifu Wong...won't go wrong with either one you choose.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"