Thread: Ruan Dong...

Threaded View

Okay everyone... lets have a reality check before the mud slinging continues.

The truth is, the year is 2006 and the internet is well established and there is a lot of information movement going around. It is also true there are people out there who want fame, respect and money. It is the natural way of things that someone will come along and steal something claim it as their own and try to gain these things from it. Although I haven't got an example I would happily place a bet that this has happened since the dawn of human civilisation. It is a negative part of human culture that we have to accept.

With regards to chinese martial arts, in the "old days" if people thought you were a fake, it would be up on the lei tai for a punch up and basically whoever lost was wrong. (Guess you are lucky to live in more civilised times Mr Goninan with the number of enemies you make, you'd either be constantly eating dirt or the best thing that ever claimed to be white crane.)

Anyway what it boils down to is, unless you are going to keep a style completely secret with no video footage and teaching in closed schools with handpicked students, people like Mr Goninan will keep popping up. There are probably more like him claiming to be white crane but have the sense to keep quiet and just do their own thing.

We cannot protect everyone in the whole world from charlatans like Mr Goninan. We must accept it happens and just go on protecting what we know and make sure it gets passed on to the next generation in the correct way.

As with regards to charlatans, its impossible to stop them. Best thing is just laugh at them, and if people believe him so what, do you honestly care what other people think when you have the real stuff. Personally I don't, its all hot air although very entertainng hot air. People who are experienced in CMA will be able to see whether they have it or not. Will Mr Goninan be able to perform forms with correct use of the waist and intention. Probably not but even if he does, Good luck to him, because at the end of the day he will never have what you have.
    Last edited by FunkySage; 07-14-2006 at 08:32 AM.