Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Rattan Rings?

Rene

Thank .....for the info....feel fre to send me a email to give me a contact with sifu
    to know the exact time of his class Thank

Do U keep training with sifu or?

Steeve

I don't need to try coprophilia to know it is not for me
    OTOH, coprolalia seems really popular in this forum

We have a supply of rings at my school, and I've fooled around with them a bit. I think there are better ways to spend training time but YMMV.

while the jury is out in the rattan rings, IMO there is no doubt that gymnastic rings are excellent for developing functional strength.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    There have been a few short arguments about this in the past on this board... usually along the lines of people who have never used them complaining about how they train the wrong things...
    That's probably because they do

Well thanks for the video and I rest my case, the non-related energies in the arms are linked so the individuality and sensitivity to feeling and using precise directional energies that we are seeking through Chi Sau is corrupted because they of having to keep in the ring in place, but if you have a clear visualisation in your own mind of what you are trying to gain from their use and you are happy doing it, then who am I to complain.

Take care and keep TJ

from what i see, it develops hand chasing , wrong slt~elbow thinking ....

Unbelievable what are they trying to sell us here!

Energy and pressure outward all the time. Elbows outwards. Although it looks somewhat like Ving Tsun it has nothing to do with the structure and its concepts.

Fantasy can also be an burden sometimes I think. Why always creating something new? Probably when the rest of your Ving Tsun is already perfect?

Not many people can train and appreciate a straightforward system. I have personally never been bored in a single training or felt the need to invent something. I’m still trying to master the ‘simple’ exercises we all know: chi sau, forms, weapons, lap sau, dummy, etc.

Cheers,

GJ.
    "The idea is to hit hard and hit first."

United Ving Tsun Kung Fu Society / Ving Tsun Forum

Can some one link to a really bad JKD wooden dummy video so we could all just ditch as well?

Thanksferthefish...

@ GJ

It is of course entirely possible that I misunderstand the tone in your post, however it comes across pretty aggressive and with somewhat of a condescending air...

Of course this may not be the case, it it is indeed what you intended, I suggest more reservation when commenting on things one obviously doesn't have any idea about - unless of course you wish to be perceived as an arrogant person...

I think good explanations about the tang huen (rattan ring) have been provided by a no. of people participating in this discussion, but these have been been scoffed at by people with lack of vision. Just because your system hasn't preserved this training method (which incidentally is a traditional training method of the wing chun styles originating in mainland China, i.e. that predate the wing chun Yip Man taught in HK), doesn't mean that it is a waste of time - just consider the opposite, what if you are really missing out on a great tool that can enhance your wing chun skills, just because you are too arrogant and ignorant to try to understand it's merits... Where is the open mind, guys?

To reiterate some of the points that have been made, the rattan rings are NOT for practising chi-sau - and no, the "energy", doesn't go in the wrong direction at all if you use it as intended. But as was suggested previously, the best thing to to if you want to learn about the tang huen and it's proper use, would be to seek out somebody who knows this training method.

However, I tend to agree with the general sentiment that the presentation of the use of the ring demonstrated is ...less than optimal... however for other reasons than the one mentioned thus far.

JLQ

Sorry if I have offended you or anybody else, didn’t mean to. To me none of the reasons mentioned in this discussion I think have good enough arguments to use the rings. Regardles to what other martial arts have expirienced.

I guess I am not that open minded then.

Quote Originally Posted by JLQ
    ...less than optimal...
    100 % agree here.

Regards,

GJ.
    "The idea is to hit hard and hit first."

United Ving Tsun Kung Fu Society / Ving Tsun Forum

Hello GJ,

thank you for responding

You are not offending me with your opinions, each person has his/her own and are perfectly entitled to those - opinions are subject to knowledge and experience and change as we grow (hopefully)

If you think no argument poignant enough to change your mind has been put forth, fair enough - however is it because the arguments are bad or is it due to the fact that you have no desire to really change your opinion? If the latter is the case, then why enter a discussion?

And no... it seems you are not open-minded... ;D

Anyways, I care not whether or not people believe the tang huen to be useful or not (it is your loss ), but I just wanted to comment on the negative tone of certain peoples' statements (not yours exclusively) in this and other threads.

regards,
    JLQ

I'm just so glad we have experts on the Rattan rings subject.

Let's talk about the bamboo dummy next please.

Fantasy can also be an burden sometimes I think. Why always creating something new? Probably when the rest of your Ving Tsun is already perfect?

no matter how you cut the cake it still comes out the same...

...Rattan rings train incorrect energy, end of story. Proper energy development is key to success or failure in Wing Chun, anything that detracts from that development is useless and best avoided. This rattan rings (and yes I am familiar with them) train the energy incorrectly due to the nature of the use of the arms in keeping the ring in position. And do not target the area of true energy development i.e. the stance. For these simple yet compelling reasons, it would be my advice for anyone lookiing at supplementing their Wing Chun training with the Rattan, to not use it.

Maybe you could correct the mainland WC forms as well.

Those ignorant yokels need some real teaching. It's all the same right?

no matter how you cut the cake it still comes out the same...

bcbernam777,

another one post hinging on arrogance - you make bold statements based on what? You say you are familiar with the use of the rattan ring, yet you make these silly claims about how it is condtradictory to "proper" energy. Your very statements shows that you know much less than you think about the tang huen it's use and the benefits training with it yields. May I inquire as to from whom (lineage) you have learned the usage of the rattan ring?

Anyways, the rattan ring is a supplementary exercise just like the excercises for the long pole. Speaking of which, how do the movements of the pole form correlate with chi-sau, btw? Saying that training with the kwan yields benefits for wing chun but in fact the rattan ring doesn't is rather ...ignorant.

Granted both the tang huen - and the pole - are supplementary excercises, you don't have to do them to learn wing chun, but training with them develops attributes that can make your wing chun much better. It is your loss if you can't or won't recognize the worth of the rattan ring as that.

On a final note, consider that the mainland China styles of wing chun, that predate Yip Man's version of VT, consider the rattan ring an important training tool and have used it for generations to hone their skills - yet you have the audacity to say all these people don't have any idea about "chi-sau" energy? That is rather arrogant, indeed.

Ah... just one more thing. What then is your opinion about the use of iron rings, like the ones typically used in Hung Kuen? You probably think that they develop "wrong" chi-sau energy as well - and yet Yip Man used them, based on a picture that is floating around, I don't think he was merely posing for the pic... At any rate even the "hung kuen"-rings don't develop "wrong" energy as I believe you might argue, but that is another discussion entirely...

Regards,
    JLQ