Thread: Gracie gets beat...

Hybrid View

Gracie gets beat...

No more perfect record...what do y'all think about that?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Glad to see Matt win. He's a Human Pit Pull, LOL
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

Props to him for continuing to put it on the line in the ring, rather than basing his reputation on schoolboy fights on HK rooftops mid last century. Props to Matt also.

Whether his record is "perfect" is open to argument ... Wallid Ismail choked him out once in a gi match, and Sakuraba and Yoshida gave him a tremendously hard time in MMA.

Whatever, everyone gets beat eventually. Everyone has bad days, everyone gets old. Muhammad Ali got hammered toward the end of his career, but IMO there are few if any fighters who command the same respect.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I have to agree that Gracie deserves props for even stepping in the ring, instead of resting on the glory of his past. And, he took defeat like a real stand-up guy (no pun intended)

Besides, he said he has a few fights left in him.

BTW...anerlich, are you guys getting the Henry Rollins Show down there???
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 05-28-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

For anyone who is interested in seeing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tXpd...ughes%20gracie
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Jeff Bussey

Thanks for the link. Kudos to both the contestants. Hughes' athleticism is very evident- a champion college wrestler who adjusted to ground and pound. Royce's patience and grace under pressure is also evident. He did create that house-though now there is a new and younger generation. Bound to happen eventually in spectator sports- whether its the ring or the octagon.

joy chaudhuri

What exactly does this thread has to do with WC

Quote Originally Posted by jesper
    I practice WC and I wanted to start a thread discussing the last UFC.

Is there a problem with that?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper

Well there was a bit of a lineage war here.

Check this out...

This is the first page of a thread on the UG entitled:

Western Wrestling + Boxing =

Date: 06/01/06 10:49 PM
    171 Total Posts Ignore User

the winning fighting combo. Along with a little sub defense, of course. Kicks are worthless for non-genetic freaks like Cro-Cop, IMO, and everyone is increasingly becoming wary of subs, IMO.
    On TUF, the deaf guy sucks at boxing, but is still dominating the BJJ ace in the fight right now. Countless others have the same style, but more refined- Liddell, Hendo, Rampage, Couture, Gomi, etc....

Great wrestlers that know how to throw hands and have basic submission knowledge will rule MMA in the future.

Opinions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADMIN: [ Delete Message : Warn User : Warn Super Admin ]
    Date: 06/01/06 11:03 PM
    95 Total Posts Ignore User

If you think that, then you should drop by my gym

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 06/01/06 11:05 PM
    207 Total Posts Ignore User

in the future you mean in the present, in the future you will have to be good at every aspect of the game.

Date: 06/01/06 11:08 PM
    797 Total Posts Ignore User

"but is still dominating the BJJ ace"
    2 1/2 years of jiu jitsu is hardly a BJJ ace, plus his jiu jitsu sucked ass. He is probably a beginner blue belt at best.

Date: 06/01/06 11:09 PM
    13318 Total Posts Ignore User

The boxing/wrestling combo is great and has done wonders for the Liddels, Gomis, CCs, Kids, Hendos, Jens', etc but if they get taken down, you need bjj/the guard (though both the wrestling/bjj aspects help them get back up).

Date: 06/01/06 11:09 PM
    557 Total Posts Ignore User

Opinions?
    Basically that you know very little about the fight game.

Date: 06/01/06 11:11 PM
    25897 Total Posts Ignore User

If you choose to ignore either of the 3 points of the MMA triangle - striking, takedowns and groundwork you are only fooling yourself.

Date: 06/01/06 11:12 PM
    1048 Total Posts Ignore User

If you think that, then you should drop by my gym
    I will send Couture, Baroni, Hendo and Gomi right over, what the address?

Date: 06/01/06 11:55 PM
    1465 Total Posts Ignore User

I think that what the initial poster is saying the MMA'er who realizes the greatest success as a fighter, in the shortest amount of time, is the one who comes from a Wrestling and Boxing background, who supplements his pre-existing skills with submission defense and "Muay Thai" (i.e. kicks, knees, and elbow strikes) defense; he does not necessarily need to learn submission or Muay Thai style striking, he only need to defend against it.
    I don't necessarily agree with the initial poster, but I think that that is basically what he is saying.

Date: 06/02/06 12:17 AM
    25903 Total Posts Ignore User

"I don't necessarily agree with the initial poster, but I think that that is basically what he is saying."
    And that's precisely where I disagree. If you look at grass roots level shows, still many fights are won by submission...

It's the veteran wrestlers at the top of the food chain that get the most accolades... Which is to be expected.

I personally think Wrestling is the best base too, but it absolutely MUST incorporate submissions to be successful, so you could argue they are as important as each other.

Date: 06/02/06 03:05 AM
    5471 Total Posts Ignore User

Submissions are absolutely necessary. And I'd argue that Muay Thai leg kicks, elbows, and knees are too.
    But yeah, boxing and wrestling are a solid base to start from.

Date: 06/02/06 03:12 AM
    638 Total Posts Ignore User

"but is still dominating the BJJ ace"
    "2 1/2 years of jiu jitsu is hardly a BJJ ace, plus his jiu jitsu sucked ass. He is probably a beginner blue belt at best."

Nickels IS a blue belt

he's no kind of standard bearer for BJJ fighters

tell Sakara that all he needed to beat Lister was boxing & wrestling

Date: 06/02/06 03:17 AM
    3127 Total Posts Ignore User

Wrestling+ boxing= ground and pound

Date: 06/02/06 01:15 PM
    1061 Total Posts Ignore User

tell Sakara that all he needed to beat Lister was boxing & wrestling
    He doesnt have any wrestling he is a boxer/JJ guy.

Date: 06/02/06 01:21 PM
    267 Total Posts Ignore User

When will people stop using examples of cross-trained fighters, and intentionally chosen wins of said fighters to prove their "points" and "theories" about which style/base is best?
    Give it up. You're making yourself look stupid.

Date: 06/02/06 02:29 PM
    894 Total Posts Ignore User

It is simple. You must have bjj,wrestling,Muay Thai, and boxing. That is the best combo. If you do not train one of these, you will eventually be exposed.

Date: 06/02/06 02:34 PM
    1065 Total Posts Ignore User

It is simple. You must have bjj,wrestling,Muay Thai, and boxing. That is the best combo. If you do not train one of these, you will eventually be exposed.
    Shut up

-Chuck Liddell

Date: 06/02/06 02:42 PM
    205 Total Posts Ignore User

So which one of those four does Chuck not train in?

Date: 06/02/06 02:44 PM
    1066 Total Posts Ignore User

MT

Date: 06/02/06 02:45 PM
    1067 Total Posts Ignore User

Fedor says shutup also.

Victor-
    Why aren't you over there telling them how important WC is in the MMA mix?
    That should liven up the discussion.

actually something thats been talked about a bit recently in mma is the difference in fighting strategy from boxing or thai to mma. the big changes in stand up are 1. be more aggressive always attack dont let up when you get the advantage eg you cant spend time figuring them out like early rounds in boxing or thai 2. hitting in the clinch etc is more important eg dirty boxing 3. watch for level changes and other takedowns eg trips

now to me 1 and 2 are what wing chun is! the wing chun people in mma so far have sucked at 3 tho but take a stripped down to the basics simple direct efficient wing chun very pugillistic hitting at every chance not playing chi sao games and i think that could make some moves in mma. just my crazy idea of course but i believe it could....

^^ thanks you know who you are

Thumbs up Bottomline Folks!!!

Bottomline is that both MMA and WC can benifit greatly from each other. Most MMA and BJJ people, from a WC stand point, have lousy hands period! (Haven't seen not one MMA or BJJ guy ever cover their face upon entry). And WC people need to address grappling more in their Kwoon (either to administer, or to counter agains, or both). As good as some WC guys may be, accidents do happen. (You can be faked into a takedown, you can slip and fall, your chain punching may even be rendered ineffective agains someone who can take it cause he's built solid or he's on the juice!, you can get tired, you can get careles, etc...).

In any case, we must all be able to adopt to change, and constantly familiarize ourseles with all possible counters and different approaches others will have and can offer so we as martial artist can be better prepared in any given situation.

Remember too that WC is more of a method, a concept, a scientific approach to fighting rather than a fixed and rigid style. WC theories and methods can be applied to almost any other system for added efficiency. IMO, It's the universal donor of all martial arts! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun

Great wrestlers that know how to throw hands and have basic submission knowledge will rule the future.

------------

These words should be repeated as often as possible.