Thread: 6-6-6

Hybrid View

You know, hate to point out the obvious here, but have you ever considered the alternative translation of apocalypse, which is: A prophetic disclosure; a revelation.

The 'Bible' is a really bad translation. I mean, have you ever tried reading 'Revelations'? How anybody could assume reading that they know what it's saying or anything? It sounds like jibberish.

well, the one good thing about the bible is that it is at least written down.

oral transmission otoh by it's very nature is faulty. at least when it's written down, the chance for error are narrowed somewhat. Mind you, stretch that out over time and language alterations and you are going to get some failure to communicate.

still...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    well, the one good thing about the bible is that it is at least written down.

oral transmission otoh by it's very nature is faulty. at least when it's written down, the chance for error are narrowed somewhat. Mind you, stretch that out over time and language alterations and you are going to get some failure to communicate.

still...
    Well, Revelations may be written down, but the interpretation of it is an oral tradition, isn't it? The theology surrounding it is the theology of an oral (and written) tradition of the Christian church, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    Well, Revelations may be written down, but the interpretation of it is an oral tradition, isn't it? The theology surrounding it is the theology of an oral (and written) tradition of the Christian church, isn't it?
    The interpretation of revelations is all over the map. some take it literally, some attempt to make the passages conform to events that have occured in order to validate it and some try to interpret in the context of the times it was written in and most certainly there is a whole lotta bible quotes that are completely out of context and used for personal agendas and gain and so on.

That's easy enough to see when you watch tv preachers asking for money for tapes of them reading the bible and offering what you should think about what they are reading. lol

All in all, there is some interesting historical information tagged to the bible when it is used in tandem with archeological and anthropological studies. But the idea of cross pollination between fields of science and theology is relatively new.

what comes of it usually starts to make some sense if the study is rational and not based on personal beliefs and instead looks at what there is in the records of the times.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

David J. I certainly do not mean to suggest that the world is going to end on that day when the mayan calendar ends its cyclic winter phase. However i do feel that cyclic changes based on Mayan cosmology are very significant to us all. There is still a mystery surrounding "why" that particular day.

The World will end when it ends, and it will end long after we have dissapeared off the planet, kids. so have a drink and live your life.

oh and count me in on the zombie and vampire fighting thing, i gots me a sword too .

As Always ,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

just pointing it out tws.

and the only mystery of the maya is why don't people just ask the maya? I mean, it's not like there aren't a few million of them still going about there ways of life day in and day out to this day. They're all over the yucatan after all.

I think too many people get there info on the subject from well...crackpots like erick von daniken or his ilk of spacemen did it because humans aren't capable of (i guess erick hasn't looked at any recent engineering achievements that put piling stones and facing them to shame.) lol

the very nature of soothsaying is flawed at the core. it is illusory and false. one could do better by understanding just the basics of human nature and the ramifications of current events. That's futurism and has a more solid footing. Trends and historical facts are indicators both of civilizations and individuals.

I guess people aren't comfortable dealing with realities and instead like to drift into the sea of mystery and such. There is something alluring about not quite knowing after all. It's much less fun to know, because once you know, you take for granted and once you take for granted, you stop thinking about it. and so on.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It is interesting that the solstice for the year 2012 is on december 21 at exactly 11:11 Universal Time

there is this whole 11:11 thing going around too.

I was into it long before I knew it was going around. Then I found out and was like "holy sh!t, other people see that too?"

Obviously the cycle is somehow timed for the returning of the planet Nibiru

now bring on the ancient alien god-like road warrior Zombies!!!

yeh.
    Words!

Just words!

666 is 9 in numerology. Nine is the most finite number. It is always nine in numerology. No matter if it is multiplied or divided it still reduces to nine. "This is the part where John Lennon starts singing Revolution number nine and Freeda people." Okay Gene you've added to Jerusalem being in Jewish hands (1947) and there being a Jewish State. Any other goodies before the locusts start flying?

The Bible's "testaments", both the old and new are based on oral tradition. There are traditions in oration that allow the recital of accurate information (check out millman parry's work). Of course, like everything, there is leveling and degradatoin over time.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now