Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    Will be watching it at the cinema if and when it comes to Engerland!
    I've seen it it's excellent. The opening sequence really sucks you right in
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer"-- Bruce Graham

Good call, B.

Already planning to see it more than once.

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The problem is, some of us live in or near Chinatowns, and we get to buy the DVD's almost a year before it is released to the Western world. I had Ong Bak in Thai, as well as Tom Yum Goong, and Fearless. BTW, I thought house of flying dagers was amazing.

i think one of the problems is that a lot of people in america see the oldschool kung fu flicks and expect to see similar action throughout the newer movies. they see these new movies that are set hundreds of years ago in china and expect similar movies. some of the new ones are more, um "artful" i guess then a martial arts movie. Others have fantasy elements to them and not many people like this.
    I liked fearless very much because it had good action and just enough story. i tom yung gong was ok but didn't like the story to much. felt like it was a highlight reel instead of a movie. guess cause it was like ong bak but with an elephant insteas of a statue.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

MightyB, you're spot on

And gwa sow, you're totally right. The problem is that all the people that are fans of the genre pick up the Asian flicks much earlier, and then don't go out to support the film. I confess, I didn't go see Tom Yum Goong or Ong Bak in the theaters for exactly this reason. I'm planning on seeing Fearless, even though I've seen it before on and Asian DVD. You got to support the industry when you can. Marketing Asian films in America is destined to have these sorts of problems. There's really no way around it, unfortunately.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would love to go see 5 Deadly Venoms or Kid with the Golden Arm in the theaters. They should re-release them like Star Wars .... which I just happened to watch last week from episone I to VI (not in the same day ) for the first time. Amazing. And you see the tragety of Anikin in a new light when viewing the stories without much interuption.

every month or two a local theater has marathons for old school kung fu, samurai, and yakuza films

its great to see the classics on a big screen
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I'd be more tempted to go see asian movies in the local theater if I didn't know before hand it was edited again before we see it. If the trailer wasn't blatantly lying about the plot (The Protector). If the American release didn't take over a year to be done.

The last one isn't a big sticking point, but it's a straw. It just irks me to know that if I wanna see the whole movie and have it be fully legal, I've gotta wait upwards of 2 years for the "special edition" to be released on dvd over here.

It's sorta like steriods, except it doesn't give me boobs.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I saw it and enjoyed it. I went into the theatre thinking it was going to be another MA art flim where the fighters were jumping on top of houses and from tree limb to tree limb in a shower of snow or flower pedals but I was surprised.

I thought the girl (Moon)should have had a bigger role.

Overall I would recommend the movie but with reservations. I thought some of the dialog and the overall story line appeared to cater to the strict censorship standards that are enforced by the modern day Chinese government.
    Last edited by BoulderDawg; 09-27-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I would love to go see 5 Deadly Venoms or Kid with the Golden Arm in the theaters. They should re-release them like Star Wars .... which I just happened to watch last week from episone I to VI (not in the same day ) for the first time. Amazing. And you see the tragety of Anikin in a new light when viewing the stories without much interuption.
    I wish so bad that this would happen!!!!!!!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I knew it would be more like Legend of a Fighter! Thanks a lot Jimbo, I don't have any money and now I am gonna have to sneak into the theater so I can see it since I read your comments. Now, I am guessing the production values are a little higher then my favorite movie ever-Legend of a Fighter
    Last edited by jethro; 09-27-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    but the Promise and House of Flying Daggers both were box office bombs.

The B
    Hey Mighty, why do you say that HOFD was a box office bomb? By what standards? HOF Daggers has done almost $90 million USD worldwide with a budget of only $11 million USD.

I know a lot of people said that they didn't like it, but dollar-wise, it was hardly a flop. Even after the distributors take their cut, it has still done over $25 million USD in profit,...how could that be a bomb? Generating 3 times it's investment. Unless you mean it was 'Da Bomb' and then I can understand...LOL

I haven't checked the number on the Promise yet.

Peace

jethro:
    Well, it's not EXACTLY like Legend of a Fighter...but it just reminded me more, for whatever reason. The opening scenes, especially the old footage from around the Boxer Rebellion period. Huo Yuanjia spying on his father practicing and sneak-learning. I do wish it had actual training scenes like the old-school movies, but I guess you can't have it all. And yes, the production values on this one are very good.

Well, it should do pretty good, with all the advertisement its been getting. Every 5 minutes on tv i see a commercial for it, and there are like 3 different ones. Actually those things really bother me, its so misleading. They even did the whole "one man will defy... a nation" thing. Cliche cheezy commercial narrations... And the one thats like "a warrior without fear. a contest that will determine the fate of a nation". Having seen the movie, that stuff has very little to do with it, it makes me laugh. But if thats what it takes to appeal to the audience over here, I endorse it, cause its a nice movie with a good message that deserves to be played worldwide.

I LOVED the movie, and thought it well and truly rocked. I felt it had the right balance of fighting and drama, a nice splash of character development. Like Jimbo, I also wish there were some hardcore training scenes, since those are really my favorite part of any Martial-Art themed movie. I also loved the lack of a "villain" and I feel this was probably Jet's best acting performance. I'm not saying the guy is a great actor (not that there are any in Hollywood anyway) but the sheer passion and exuberance he expressed while playing Huo Yuan Jia was infectious to say the least.

However, I thought he did a good job playing an "arrogant" character. He was tenderhearted and kind, but c0cky, careless, and let his passion to be the best cloud his judgement. The HYJ in the first part of the movie wasn't a great person, and his character had flaws, but he was magnanimous and loved by his students- an aspect I think he pulled off very well. I'll concur with you on his performance in The One though... didn't really like that one.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators