Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royce vs Matt Hughes

My landlord just told me he read that MMA is the fastest growing sports market for males 15 to 25.

The Contender never got cancelled. It moved around from slot to slot, which affected its ratings. The season finale still did very good numbers and season 2 is about to begin on ESPN, a network with much more money and influence than Spike. MMA is more popular in Asia and Brazil. Boxing is still HUGE in Latin America, including Brazil, and Asia still produces many professional boxers and events have decent ratings over there. Manny Pacquio is an ICON in the Phillipines.
    Will MMA eventually pass Boxing, maybe. But that day is still a long while away.

By the way, TUF season 3's ratings have dropped significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by hjt
    they didnt invent MMA, since its been around in Brazil long before the UFC, they just market it here and look at it now, you have everyone trying to be an MMA fighter. i think thats what he meant.
    Actually the Gracie's introduced MMA to brazil too. Gracies have been doing their thing since the 1920's.

Did they invent minimal rules fighting? no.

But they did create what is now known as "MMA".

im shure the gracies didnt itnroduce mma to brazil, bjj isnt mma. mma is standup and gorund and clinch, not just ground.

I agree with Hieronim, Gracie Jiujutsu has become its own martial art, and from my limited understanding, was Japanese Jiujutsu modified for a smaller man and for the type of fight culture in and around Rio, but didn't seem to include a conventional method such as boxing, for ending a fight standing up.

The most common elements, or disciplines if you will, that people consider MMA are BJJ, Thai boxing, and western boxing, and very often people seem to have a background in wrestling. Ofcourse there are a bunch of others that are substituted or represented as well. These were just, in my opinion, the most common right now.

Having said all that, I'll pay the PPV fee to see this fight. Matt Hughes is a beast and has better stand up than Royce, especially at the age Royce is now, and has a great ground game as well. Just the same, Hughes as never faced some with the ground arsenal, knowledge, patience, and stamina that Royce has, and Hughes has never faced anyone that can submit men from positions and opportunities that very few others can recognize when upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by quickjab
    By the way, TUF season 3's ratings have dropped significantly.
    Actually, episode 2's ratings dropped, but episode 3's rebounded back up to the previous (very high) levels.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33820

plus it doesnt matter, most people just watch the ufc hardly any of them train and without training blood and sweat you cant learn nything, ppl have been watching martial art movies for years yet hardly any of them can fight just from watching the movie.

My wife and six year old son have a bet on the fight. She has to clean his room for a month if Matt Hughes wins. My son walked over to the coach and picked up a pillow. He threw knees and punches into it as he annouced that he was Matt and the pillow was Royce.
    As for me, I'm pulling for Royce for the first time.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching