Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q about UFC from back in the day.

There is and has only been one Tank - Tank Abbott.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I remember that fight

UFC 6- Pat Smith vs. Rudyard Moncayo
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training
    Except for his ten years of wrestling and amateur boxing.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

actually, tank has been doing boxing training for some twenty years or so, but back in the day, he wasn't training in any sort of regular way.

To attribute 10 years of boxing to him is a bit generous just because he worked out in a boxing gym that he even admits he gets bored with.

There's training, then there's training.

Tank's Crazy is mostly all natural. Sure, he trains now, but back then? Nah. NOt with any seriousness, he'd rather fight than train.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would tend to agree with your observation of Tank's abilities, and I would also tend to believe that he is an exception to the rule as it applies to MMA - he's just a crazy brawler that you will never forget you messed with, win or lose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I got no response, so I guess I'll assume I'm just supposed to know who tank is

Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    I saw a LONG fight on cheap seats one time on espn classic. One guy was named tank and he was 100% muscle and you could literally tell a minute before he was going to throw a punch but he was one of the biggest badasses I have ever seen. He was fighting a guy who was way taller and had to kick tank about 200 times in the fight. Is this the tank you are talking about because that is one of the best fights i have ever seen.

I am only 22, so getting my hands on videos of these is kind of hit and miss. But IF you are talking about the tank I saw, then I have to mostly agree with you. But I would go ****her, he's not just a brawler. He's more extreme than than. He will start out like every round just coming at you with recklessness you would only see from komodo dragon on crack. He comes out swinging so hard that within 30-60 seconds into the round he is ready to fall over he is so tired. But then he gets hit and he starts throwing way more wildly and somehow makes it to the start of tyhe nextround so he can wail on dudes again and hopefully take em out quitck. Great fights no matter what tank fight it is, but tyson would have put him down by the second round.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Sounds like the same Tank, 'cept he has never been accused of being 100% muscle. He was more of the deceptively strong fat guys. You know, like that weight lifter that looks flabby, untill he wins a competition with out really trying.

This is the Tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Sounds like the same Tank, 'cept he has never been accused of being 100% muscle. He was more of the deceptively strong fat guys. You know, like that weight lifter that looks flabby, untill he wins a competition with out really trying.

This is the Tank.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

That is not it.

The guy I am talking about may not be from ufc, i'm sorry I couldn't really follow this back in the day. The guy I saw I believe was fighting in the world kickboxing championship. SO ALL OF MY PAST COMMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT BIG WHITE GUY. The guy I'm talking about was black, I'm not sure if his name was tank, but when I saw this thread I thought it had to be him, no training, total badass, and the name tank seemed like the only name that fit him.

Teh fight I saw was the longest fight I have rever seen since vargas vs. quartey where guys are KILLING eachother the entire fight. And if anybody is familiar with cheap seatsm, then you know it kind of like mystery science theater 3000. THIS FIGHT TOOK UP THE ENTIRE EPISODE AND WAS TRULY ONE FO THE GREATEST FIGHTS EVER. So the tank I am thinking of was like 5 foot 10 and was ALL muscle. But like I said, this guy is black and may look more muscular than he actually is, and even though i haven't ever seen the real tank fight, I would still throw a couple bills down with good odds for my tank to win, cause this is THE crazaiest fighter I have ever seen. ANYONE KNOW WHO THIS GUY IS, TANK IS A NAME THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER IF THAT'S HIS NAME, BUT IT IS THE ONLYONE THAT FITS.

And Becca, thanks for the link, I don't get many websites at work, but sherdog.com looks pretty cool...
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Yeah, Sherdog is my favorite site for trying to find fighters.
    Speeking of which, Zane Frazier kind of fits your discription. I actually went to Clash of the Titans to see him and Jake Hatten fight. I'd seen old IFKA footage of Zane and had a feeling it would be a good fight. Which it was, BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    actually, tank has been doing boxing training for some twenty years or so, but back in the day, he wasn't training in any sort of regular way.

To attribute 10 years of boxing to him is a bit generous just because he worked out in a boxing gym that he even admits he gets bored with.

I didn't actually mean "ten years of amateur boxing". I should have said "Ten years of wrestling, and some amateur boxing". He had ten years of wrestling before he stepped into the UFC, and some amount of amateur boxing experience.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Exclamation becca, close but no cigar

Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Yeah, Sherdog is my favorite site for trying to find fighters.
    Speeking of which, Zane Frazier kind of fits your discription. I actually went to Clash of the Titans to see him and Jake Hatten fight. I'd seen old IFKA footage of Zane and had a feeling it would be a good fight. Which it was, BTW.

This guy is too big, the guy I am thinking of is WAY more muscular and shorter and uglier. Trust me if you find him you will kno wwho I am talking about. And if you don't recognize him, you will find a gem of a fighter I would buy the cheap seat season 1 or something, but I don't think it is out

Ok, it will take awhile before I can go through my tapes but I recorded a lot of fights back in the early televised shootfighting and ultimate fighting championship.

I know I have the first one. I'll let you know what I find.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

don't know if yer talking to me, but

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    Ok, it will take awhile before I can go through my tapes but I recorded a lot of fights back in the early televised shootfighting and ultimate fighting championship.

I know I have the first one. I'll let you know what I find.

it was a kickboxing championship, pretty sure not ufc and he was the 260 pound muscle man with the shaved head was going up against a tall tough black guy who kicked A LOT.

The fight itself is epic on every level and again one guy is black, huge and all muscle, other guy is muscualr tall, black, and really tough, but somehow looks about half the man as muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by tug
    Ok, so Crocop has amazing leg work, I saw that, but that's not what I was looking for.

(His hits are brutal, though, anyone know why he doesn't fight UFC?)
    Since no one picked up on this, I will.

Most likely because he's already fighting in both K1 and Pride which both carry more prestige and pay about 5-10 times what the UFC does. Also, the restart rule in Pride works in his favor as his groundwork is very mediocre for that level of competition.

Thanks, guys.

Jethro, the fight I'm talking about is definitely old school UFC. It was one of the ones that I was actually able to get some friends and money together for the PPV aspect, and that's part of the reason I want to see it again. Good times...

Ou Ji, it would be greatly appreciated if you could find that fight between Smith and Mancayo and post it, because no matter where I look, I am coming up empty handed. I suppose if it comes down to it, I can buy it. Please let me know.

Omarthefish, thank you for the clarification. I am aware of the other sanctioned MMA tourneys, but didn't know the requirements/specifics/preferences of entering.

On that note, I would tend to agree that Crocop is probably better off elsewhere besides the UFC.

TuG.
    Last edited by tug; 04-10-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel