Thread: Hung Gar special issue

Hybrid View

Hung Gar special issue

Anyone get the latest Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine? It's a special on Hung Gar. As a Hung Gar nut, I thank all you folks who put it together.

Just got my copy and loved the tribute to the Kiu Sau and Buck Sam Kong's 12 hands article. Nice perspective.

Thanks for the props, hasayfu

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

Gene
    now that's a cool issue.

a nice balance of : History, Theory and Application.

Whats with the Wing Chun, thought it was a HG issue? (still a great article).

Think Chen can do a follow up article on the applications of the 5 element pole?

again, great issue, a template worth continuing

Thanks again for your kind words, ngokfei

The Wing Chun article was in there because we have so many Wing Chun articles in the queue. Wing Chun is the most prolific community for article submission for our magazine at this time. Since we have so many, we almost always put a Wing Chun article in. I figured it was still a southern style and still in the ballpark. The kicking theory presented there was general enough to apply to Hung Ga kicks (or any style for that matter).

As for Sifu Tony Chen, we could do an applications article but it would be really hard to shoot. Long poles are just that - long. We had a tought time squeezing his image and the pole into shot. With two people and long poles, it gets really hard to see the details because we'd have to be so far away to shoot it. I have a few other Xingyi things up my sleeve with Sifu Tony, though. After all, he is my teacher now, and you don't know how rewarding it is for me to be able to write articles from the inside, as opposed to covering wushu or some other style I do not train in. The Xingyi long pole was somewhat related to the Xingyi Da Dao article I did in the previous issue (see the internal forum thread and the Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine forum thread - both short).

We can only do specials when they come together and they come together organically. It's sort of a push-pull because some specials are more successful on the newsstands than others. Hung Ga is pretty secular, so such a special might not appeal to those outside the system. But still, it was a fun issue to work on. We saw the opportunity to do a special and just went for it. I'm glad at least two of you appreciated it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

careful ~G all this talk of long poles will get our female posters into a tizzy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

We need more female posters...

We *especially* need more female posters in a tizzy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

WFH issue

I loved this issue. Passed it on to my instructor, who has read it over with pleasure several times. Thanks from allof us for a full Hung Gar issue!