Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Q about UFC from back in the day.

Q about UFC from back in the day.

Does anyone know how to find old fights from the early years of UFC? I am looking for one in particular from the mid 90's, but since I don't know the guys name, it's pretty difficult. Their website is great, but I don't know if they archive anything.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

http://www.noholdsbarred.tv/ufctapes.html

I think you can get them all right here. I remember the first 5 or so. What are you looking for?
    Always learning

Give some more info about which fight you are looking for. You know white guy/black guy mulllet/no mullet musclar/fat guy... that sort of stuff. What was the fight intersting for? A big KO...., a guy carrying a cross into the ring...some huge nut puches?

Thanks

Ok, tall, lanky black guy, first round KO (if I remember correctly). The thing I will never forget (this is why I want to see it again) is at the start, the first thing he does is a front kick to the chest which actually connects and throws his opponent halfway across the ring. It was pretty amazing to me, because you hardly EVER see high kicks work in the ring, but he pulled it off. Big gamble too IMO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I beleive that was Pat Smith who landed that kick.

Great, thanks guys, will do a search and get back if anyone wishes. I do apologize for the lack of information, it's just that back then I had no idea how UFC would explode into the force to be reckoned with as it has become. I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention at the time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

Checked out the site, but the links take you to Amazon buy the DVD. Pat Smith is indeed listed for UFC 1, but I am not interested in spending any money on it (go figure). I am just looking for the footage to view online.

Again, much thanks for the effort.

BTW - watching UFC Unleashed Live as we speak.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Back in the day
    before clocks and gold.
    I used to go to the show
    and sit in the front row.
    Hopin' and prayin' someday
    I'd get on a roll
    so I could Fila's in the summer
    and a mink when it's cold.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Thanks Lueb, but that's not the one, even though it is pretty badaaass.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

Quote Originally Posted by tug
    It was pretty amazing to me, because you hardly EVER see high kicks work in the ring, but he pulled it off.
    http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41005

Ok, so Crocop has amazing leg work, I saw that, but that's not what I was looking for.

(His hits are brutal, though, anyone know why he doesn't fight UFC?)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    I beleive that was Pat Smith who landed that kick.

Upon further review, don't you mean Maurice Smith? Not doubting, just still trying to nail this one down.

Thanks,

TuG.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

who could ever forget fred ettish's fetal fighting style.

or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training and was just an all out badasssssss.

the debut of the gracie choke out was another highlight of the evolution of ufc.

suffice it to say, it is better now than it was then. before it was a circus of nutjobs and anger management candidates for the most part.

Nowadays, it's mostly technicians who are mouch better to watch and dissect.

s'all good though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

hey david

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    who could ever forget fred ettish's fetal fighting style.

or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training and was just an all out badasssssss.

the debut of the gracie choke out was another highlight of the evolution of ufc.

suffice it to say, it is better now than it was then. before it was a circus of nutjobs and anger management candidates for the most part.

Nowadays, it's mostly technicians who are mouch better to watch and dissect.

s'all good though.

I saw a LONG fight on cheap seats one time on espn classic. One guy was named tank and he was 100% muscle and you could literally tell a minute before he was going to throw a punch but he was one of the biggest badasses I have ever seen. He was fighting a guy who was way taller and had to kick tank about 200 times in the fight. Is this the tank you are talking about because that is one of the best fights i have ever seen.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."