Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grappling preference: top or bottom... why

Grappling preference: top or bottom... why

For me, I like training from the bottom because usually, that's where you'll be if the other guy is bigger and better than you .... that's how you got your a$$ thrown in the first place.

If I'm bigger and/or better and can beat the guy down, usually I can just keep doing what I'm doing. Though obviously he need to know how not to wind up in a triangle or arm bar.

Thoughts?

train it all. strategy wise, intentionally trying to fight from the bottom isn't necessarily the wisest thing to do, as the person on top may pass your guard, leaving you VERY disadvantaged.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think Ray was suggesting that in a worse case scenario, you'll be on the bottom so it pays to spend some time training on the bottom to know what you can do in these situations. Personally I don't like the top: I train to get off the ground and keep fighting in a stand up situation, I won't follow to the ground unless it is in the process of applying a joint lock; otherwise, I train to get out from the bottom and back on my feet.

Preference: neither. Too many variables that can come into play and limited mobility on the bottom or in the guard. Although a lock of some sort would necessitate getting down there I prefer stand-up grappling.
    A unique snowflake

Well, you always WANT to be on top.

But for training purposes, like you said, learning to work from the bottom is essential, especially if you are primarily a stand-up guy with limited submissions.

I'm the smallest guy in my group (165 lbs), so I'm pretty much always fighting from the bottom.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

From behind Look, I coudn't help myself OK
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

i've only gotten a full mount once i think.

at 135 ... and a newbie ... im placed on the bottom whether i like it or not and i'm learning what to do from there. i manage a few new things each class though.
    where's my beer?

Study Royce Gracie's fights .... he prefers and usually wins from the bottom. He usually pulls guard. Most of those that study under him seem to have the same preference.

This is why I favor Royce over Rickson. Both great fighters, but Royce's style seems to be less based on raw power, and he has proven it by beating men much larger than himself. Very hard to insist on the dominant position when the other has 50lbs+ on you.

Think about it, can a little girl pin you down? Can you pin down a 375lbs man?
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 04-19-2006 at 12:05 PM.

when i get to there i prefer to be on top. if im on bottom i try to reverse it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Think about it, can a little girl pin you down?
    is she over 18?

Can you pin down a 375lbs man?
    375? not sure, it would depend on the guy I guess. but I have regularly pinned a guy who is mighty close to 300, and with me at 175 I have to say I don't like to be under that much weight.

I do prefer the top position, but as has been said you don't always get to choose. I tend to get submissions much quicker from the top and seem to have more chances to break away if it isn't going well. I do a lot of multiple attacker sparring, so grappling very much in those matches leads quickly to defeat. if its one on one grappling, either stand up or rolling, happens at least 50% of the time or more.

getting submissions from the bottom position is definitely a weak spot for me, so its what really should be practicing...
    Words!

Just words!

Study Royce Gracie's fights .... he prefers and usually wins from the bottom. He usually pulls guard. Most of those that study under him seem to have the same preference.

This is why I favor Royce over Rickson. Both great fighters, but Royce's style seems to be less based on raw power, and he has proven it by beating men much larger than himself. Very hard to insist on the dominant position when the other has 50lbs+ on you.

Think about it, can a little girl pin you down? Can you pin down a 375lbs man?
    yeah, but he's royce. he's been grappling most of his life. with less experience - WAY less than he has - the bottom is not favorable. Naturally, you want to learn how to fight from there, but I wouldn't recommend purposely trying to fight from there. .
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If you train grappling, with good grapplers, you will be forced to learn how to at least escape from most bottom positions, and you will probably pick up many submissions from inferior positions.

Back mount is not always 'on top' and having guard or half guard is not always 'on bottom' and quarter/turtle/etc is usually a side to side or some other generally odd position that doesnt fall into top or bottom.

You generally only get to choose when you are winning for some reason, or your way better, or way bigger, or training (and you shouldent get to choose, your trainer should..)
    strike!

On top.

In a fight, I do not want to be on the bottom - and I have a guard that most consider good. Good enough that guard pulling is a common opener for me.

Yes, I've pinned a 300+ pounder. He couldn't get out.

I've had people much lighter than me keep me pinned too.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Royce benefitted in large part from opponents who didn't understand the guard... if you don't know the guard, your basic reactions will all get you killed... so for early UFC's it was a basicly sound strategy to put them in unfamiliar terrirory as oppsed to trying to take them down and possibly get hit

All that being said, it is still better to be on top and most BJJ people will tell you that
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Royce does not prefer guard. He just ends up there because he is smaller than many of his opponents and doesn't have great takedowns. Royce's preferred strategy is classic BJJ strategy- close/clinch to takedown to mount to finish from mount or back mount.

To play devils advocate...... I actually prefer to be on the bottom. You can strike very well from there, you can sweep and you can submit. in fact the surprise element against someone not trained in grappling means you will virtually always catch them in a triangle or armbar IME as they will always over extend themselves,,,,..Telles (oops sorry I dropped a name on your foot) told me when I trained with him that the guard is the most improtant position in BJJ. Other arts guard with the arms, we guard with the legs (the strongest muscle in the body). The basic concept behind BJJ is exemplified by Tome Nage: when he pushes we dont push back...rather we pull him over us and use his force against him. Hope this makes sense.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan