Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: Kung fu used in a street fight

Agreed.

I swear.... the number of times you say EXACTLY what I was about to say on a thread... uncanny.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

oh the pain...the PAIN

GDA & MF: Apologies accepted. I'm thinking of banning 'gollydarn' now.

Personally, I've always hated that whole "he used such-and-such technique." I remember trying Chinese weapons sparring in the early 90's. I managed to dominate one of my first opponents completely. I found his flinch reflex pretty quickly and the bout was quick and decisive. After that, one of my classmates asked me if I used my kendo, my western fencing, or my kung fu. "I just hit him" was my answer, and it's true.

I'd be interested in knowing what that guy in the video used, just out of curiousity. The funny thing is that when I first watched it, I thought his stance looked like wushu nanquan. It seemed a little too wide for traditional kung fu. Wouldn't it be hilarious if that was his style?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If it were wushu it might also explain the silly hand gestures as he first entered his stance.

Me? I'd just get my hands to the appropriate position as fast as possible.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

A break

I think this clip is really cool. I think that people need to give the guy a break with the wild flailing hands thing.

Although I don’t do it anymore, I have done a little CLF (very little) and one of the techniques we used to practice was that exact thing; swinging you arms like ropes with your body as the pivoting force, generating maxim force to the end of you fist. (i.e. being hit with the end of a baseball bat, as opposed to the part nearest the hand, off a swing) And that looks exactly like what he did to end it.
    Ok it looked a little messy, but this was a REAL fight. My teacher says that anyone who thinks they wont miss, or look messy when the **** hits the fan is kidding themselves big time.

I think that looked like kung fu. Just under pressure. I think anyone who wants to post criticisms should post a vid of themselves fighting in a REAL fight, then let others criticise your form.

Just what I think,
    Cheers
    W

I think anyone who wants to post criticisms should post a vid of themselves fighting in a REAL fight,
    william - nothing wrong with criticising. Whether or not I could make better use of my kung fu in a fight is irrelavant.....the point still stands, he flaied.

And its more of an observation than a criticism.

If it were wushu it might also explain the silly hand gestures as he first entered his stance.
    Lol I know. It reminds me of when Neo fights Morpheus.....

craig

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    Agreed.

I swear.... the number of times you say EXACTLY what I was about to say on a thread... uncanny.
    you didn't know mma guys were psychic?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

wushu flailing

I'd just get my hands to the appropriate position as fast as possible.
    If I knew I could kick my opponent's ass, I could see doing some wacky stance just for the intimidation/humiliation factor. I think a lot of people fall into the mind trap that your opponent is a trained fighter. In schoolyard fights, which is what this looks like, I seldom encountered seasoned fighters of any sort. Anyone who has sparred knows that sometimes you know you have full control of your opponent - it's the most delicious feeling in the world. Psych ops are key. If you can win on psych ops, you don't even have to throw a punch. So I hear what you're saying, SimonM, but in my mind, the dude won with his silly hand gestures. In this case, whatever it takes to win *is* appropriate. There's nothing like winning. It's even sweeter when you're 'too busy looking good'
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by william
    Ok it looked a little messy, but this was a REAL fight. My teacher says that anyone who thinks they wont miss, or look messy when the **** hits the fan is kidding themselves big time.

I think that looked like kung fu. Just under pressure. I think anyone who wants to post criticisms should post a vid of themselves fighting in a REAL fight, then let others criticise your form.
    there is a difference between an ugly fight and flailing. that was simply a guy that has little fighting experience. like gene said, psy ops is what saved him. the opponent had in his head that the guy was a fighter trained in something. On my job, we're not allowed to strike, so If I do manage to get hold of a vid to post, you won't see me doing anything but restraining a guy (locks, chokes, etc) and dragging him out. now I just need to find someone to follow me around the club with a video camera...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    you didn't know mma guys were psychic?
    I thought they were psychotic...that's 2 different things, isn;t it???
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I understand where you are coming from Gene.

I'd just personally try and not do anything that would make my sifu wince if I were on videotape and the little dragon ball Z / matrix / raver doing the ball dance thing at the beginning would definately count.
    Simon McNeil

i know what you mean simon. my old sifu would have kicked my ass out of principle had he seen me do something like that. i do not mean that he would be upset with me. i would litterally hurt. probably pretty bad.
    where's my beer?

I remember early at my time at NBDMA I saw master Chau chase one of the assistant instructors all the way around the Kwoon with roundhouse kicks. They kept coming in so fast.....
    Simon McNeil

People- Watch the vid with a player that has good slow motion. Those wer long punches. Two missed before he ducked a punch and sent the knock out shot. Sure it looks like flailing. But it was not. I'd bet the poeple saying otherwise probably have not seen themselves on video....

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    People- Watch the vid with a player that has good slow motion. Those wer long punches. Two missed before he ducked a punch and sent the knock out shot. Sure it looks like flailing. But it was not. I'd bet the poeple saying otherwise probably have not seen themselves on video....
    i've seen myself on video...but if I posted it Gene would ban me...and my wife would kill me
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I've seen myself fight... when the person I've been fighting has lots of room to run I do look a little flaily... I'm a close fighter. But when it's a small venue it generally goes - deflect punch, jab, elbow or clothesline, grab by neck, takedown, gnp.

I hate it when my sparring partner tries to play tag instead of fighting... of course when you are tall, heavy and relatively slow you want your opponent to stand and fight...

ME: "Oh! Don't make me chase you! This isn't the 100 meter dash, it's a fight!"
    Simon McNeil