Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: Kung fu used in a street fight

I think this clip will never die in my memory as one of the coolest things I've ever seen on video. So many attack it, citing cheesiness and such, but the fact remains that this is the one and only video clip that shows what ALL of us want to see- kung fu working in the street.

AFAIK, nobody has pinned down what style this guy is doing, or who he is. I'm thinking it's Shaolin Long Fist with som CLF mixed in... Anyone want to corroborate that? As others have expressed as well, that footwork is pretty darned cool. The gallop is jumping front kicks cancelled halfway through the step- hard to do in such a low stance.

I say kudos to the dude. I deeply hope that I can meet that guy someday and buy him a beer.
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 02-27-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    I think this clip will never die in my memory as one of the coolest things I've ever seen on video. So many attack it, citing cheesiness and such, but the fact remains that this is the one and only video clip that shows what ALL of us want to see- kung fu working in the street.
    QuaiJohnCain- I have to agree with you, cheese or no cheese, the bottom line is - he succeeded. What I appreciated was that he tried to stay true to his training…what ever it was. I give him his props even if he did end it with a wild bolo.
    Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 02-27-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    "Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything." Mr. Miyagi

Long Fist with some CLF is my guess too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    ...it's having my boss say "I just got this email complaint about swearing on the forum. Do something about that now!" Come on, guys. Keep it clean. This is a family show. There are plenty of places to swear on the internet and plenty gets through here, but that doesn't mean you have to add to it. Thank you for your cooperation.
    im sorry gene.

tell your boss that a weird little dude with a chip on his shoulder appologized and even bought mad merchandise because he felt so bad about it all.
    where's my beer?

apology accepted GDA

bought mad merchandise
    true or not, we appreciate the sentiment.

Now back to the post at hand, I usually wait until after I've knocked the guy down before I go into my Bruce Lee kung fu dance. It adds insult to injury. In my school daze, I remember leading with it a few times, perhaps not intentionally, but you got to win if you're going to showboat like that. Imagine if he got his ass kicked on that video - imagine what this thread would look like then. If you're going to represent, you must also impress. That being said, it's clear that the person in the video was confident with what he was doing. It totally psyched out his opponent. That dude was lost from the beginning - you can see the fear in his posture.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    ...it's having my boss say "I just got this email complaint about swearing on the forum. Do something about that now!" Come on, guys. Keep it clean. This is a family show. There are plenty of places to swear on the internet and plenty gets through here, but that doesn't mean you have to add to it. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Gene, I aplogize too...and I like the creative editing....I sound all manly saying "Gollydarn"
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

love the sparkling dialogue...

but if nothing else he prevailed over the mouth-fu of his ****y little antagonist.
    The lil shave-head guy learned everything he knows about fighting from MTV.

i like it when the belligerent guy gets ktfo'd by the more modest one. to paraphrase the Snicker's commercial, who doesn't appreciate a satisfying crunch lol.

i agree with the previous comment that red-shirt set up a current of doubt within Curly, and he exploited that. and yeah, it looks like when they finally closed the gap with the natural stances, he was flailing with that hook punch that downed the other guy.

but yeah, a real laff-riot.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Talking

good to see he won. you would want to be able to fight after pulling out those stances in a large crowd

To be honest, his "flailing" does appear to be legitimate longarm techniques if you look at it properly, he does a kind of Dot Choy, Pao Choy Sow Choy combo. It does kinda look like a mix of CLF and Songshan Shaolin, but if I had to put money on a style I'd say it's something like Hop Gar. His delivery of Dot Choy and Pao Choy/Jong are more consistent with Hop Gar or Lama than the main lines of Choy Li Fut (could be Bak Sing Fut Gar maybe, some lines of that do those big vertical fist Pao Choys).
    ANYWAY, I wish my stancework was that good I'd say he's done more than "a few lessons", I think he just lacks a bit of experience at the sharp end of things (and he really needs to learn how to close with his opponent, although if he didn't really want to fight I suppose there's value in setting a strong defence and waiting). Most importantly of all though, his Kung Fu worked!
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

gene, I too apoligise... I bet its a pain in the ass to control this forum

Anyway, the vid. I personally think we're delving to much into 'what he did'. You can say 'he used this punch and that punch' but in the end it wasnt intentional.

Yes the stances showed he had some training, but once the turd hit the fan, he hit panic mode and just lashed out

craig

lol. if there's a term for flailing in our curriculum, sifu has not yet revealed it to me.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Anyway, the vid. I personally think we're delving to much into 'what he did'. You can say 'he used this punch and that punch' but in the end it wasnt intentional.
    He missed, it happens. It was obviously a fairly decent Wang Sow Choy that he used to finish it. That's the thing with longarm strikes, they often don't look like much until they hit something.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

wtf was that? I just looked at the clip. he did a good job of using his hands and footwork BEFORE the fight (no maatter how odd he looked), but IMO that was the wrong thing to do, even though it happened to work for him. Where I'm from, they wouldn't have cleared the path - they ALL woulda rushed him.

Once the combat started, he was flinchy and flailed a lot. you can tell he had like zero experience...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks for the feedback. I find all your observations very cool. Keep it coming.
    "Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything." Mr. Miyagi

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    gene, I too apoligise... I bet its a pain in the ass to control this forum

Yes the stances showed he had some training, but once the turd hit the fan, he hit panic mode and just lashed out

craig
    agreed. you can prolly take ANY vid of a streetfight and liken wild, circular flailing to SOMETHING that can be seen in hop gar, clf, longfist, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter