Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what are the rules of the UFC & Pride & other championships........?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    I don't know but if anyone knows of a venue that allows headbutting and unrestricted use of elbows let me know.
    I've heard that thai boxing in colorado is full muay thai - you can elbow, even to the head. Don't know of any that ALLOWS headbutting, but it happens all the time anyway. I've been intentionally headbutted in judo matches.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

www.ufc.com has the rules on there im pretty sure.
    lazy people dont even want to do searches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    UFC Fouls I don't agree with (because I've either done them or had them done to me):

1. Butting with the head.
    8. Small joint manipulation.
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.

Pride Grounds for Disqualification I don't agree with (for the same reason):

1: No head butting
    4: No small joint manipulation (control of four or more fingers/toes is necessary)
    5: No elbow strikes to the head and face.
    6: No intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring. I mean come on! In traditional Lei Tai matches this was one of the main ways to win!!!

The rest of the rules are no problem. I'm not one of those "if we could tigerclaw and eyegouge we could win" types... I'm just a bit of a brute in close combat, the clinch and the ground.
    small joint manipulation is easier to do in a ground grappling situation where I have you controlled. Due to the nature of the small joints and the sutation you are in, the result would be more breaks than tap outs.

As for the le tai, traditionally, how high is it? and what was below them? If the ring platform is three feet of the ground and you are intentionally throwing them out (there are ropes, so it's unlikely that you will just kick them out - you will have to throw them over the top) you are talkin about droppin someone about 7 or 8 feet onto concrete.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Talking Paraphrasing Bruce Lee...

Small joint manipulation is effective (providing you know what you are doing including understanding ground fighting with positional control) but don't make a plan of SJM or it's a sure way to get yourself choke out!

Too many people in TCMA make that assumption/plan and that's why ... Huston, we have a problem.

Now, let the stoning begins.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I think vale tudo allows headbutts and unrestricted elbows.

maybe not..

strike!

I believe the International Vale Tudo Championships is the currently only public fighting event with the classic no-holds-barred/vale-tudo(anything goes) rules of everything but eye-gouging, fish-hooking and groin strikes allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    small joint manipulation is easier to do in a ground grappling situation where I have you controlled. Due to the nature of the small joints and the sutation you are in, the result would be more breaks than tap outs.

As for the le tai, traditionally, how high is it? and what was below them? If the ring platform is three feet of the ground and you are intentionally throwing them out (there are ropes, so it's unlikely that you will just kick them out - you will have to throw them over the top) you are talkin about droppin someone about 7 or 8 feet onto concrete.
    I don't see SJM as a main line of attack. But it can be a good way to escape a choke, find one finger and twist hard... Yes I have pressure tested this. No I didn't break the guys finger, he was smart enough to let go and I used the out to maneuver rather than trying to submit based on SJM which is hard at best.

Lei tai were of variable height and variable surface below them. I doubt any were as high as the one in Fearless... Generally, I think, they were between 2 and 5 feet off the ground and the surrounding surface was either dirt, stone tile or occasionally water.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by truewrestler
    I believe the International Vale Tudo Championships is the currently only public fighting event with the classic no-holds-barred/vale-tudo(anything goes) rules of everything but eye-gouging, fish-hooking and groin strikes allowed.
    Tell me more...

When I was back in Canada my brother and I used to spar a lot. This was EXACTLY the rules that we played by. Groin shots, eye gouging, fish-hooking and biting were all against the rules. Anything else went.
    Last edited by SimonM; 02-16-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

oh yeah, I forgot no biting

Not much more to tell. Those were the original rules that the UFC and other MMA organizations start with, though some early events allowed groin strikes. Slowly, for fighter safety and to appease opponents, they added more rules. IVC in Brazil just never changed their rules.

There is no groundfighting, but Burmese bando kickboxing allows elbows and headbutts (along with punches, knees, kicks, and throws)

Beware the science of nine limbs!
    Monkey vs. Robot

oh yeah, I forgot no biting

Not much more to tell. Those were the original rules that the UFC and other MMA organizations start with, though some early events allowed groin strikes. Slowly, for fighter safety and to appease opponents, they added more rules. IVC in Brazil just never changed their rules.
    Is there a Chinese Vale Tudo association?
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    Small joint manipulation is effective (providing you know what you are doing including understanding ground fighting with positional control) but don't make a plan of SJM or it's a sure way to get yourself choke out!

Too many people in TCMA make that assumption/plan and that's why ... Huston, we have a problem.

Now, let the stoning begins.

Mantis108
    Can't u just sacrifice a little finger and go on and win the fight? samll joint manipulation LOL

SJM is stupid in a sport fight. All it does is **** people off and we all end up with annoying broken fingers. In a real fight...sure, as a short cut to help me out of a bad situation, but if someone with 1/2 way decent ground fighting skills has a RNC on you, twisting their fingers isn't going to get you out unless you also know what to do with the small window of opportunity you opened up by twisting that finger.

Mitch is right. A guy I trained with was in a pit fight with somebody else. The style of the fighter (if he had a style) eludes me because this was nearly 7 years ago. To make a long story, he was about to sink the rear naked choke. His opponent decided to sjm his finger and break it. He immediately switched from the RNC, straight arm-barred the guy, cranked the hell of it until the guys elbow snapped.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a Vale Tudo fight with Chuck Liddell where he was trying to stomp on his downed opponent's nutz.

The opponent was on the grownd defending with his legs. Liddell was basically alternating with leg kicks and attempted groin stomps. It made me cringe more than just about anything else I've seen in MMA.