Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: WC vs. MMA link

Wing Chun Fight Club

Check our Wing Chun Fight Club sometimes it is getting really good.

Hi Guys

Quote Originally Posted by namron View Post
    question to Alan Orr,

I was curious on whether you found any merit in vertical fist structure (elbow in and down structure) in your system when say jabing or lead hand striking vs opponents attempting to shoot in under the strike or body clinching?

Does it enble a better/quicker defensive reaction such as sprawling whilst wedging the elbow into the neck/shoulder line, or working and over arm under defense, etc.

You see the kind of MMA change of level and shoot attack practiced and executed often from baiting the lead jab to make the entry possible.

Obviously most strikers (or at least the ones I'm familar with) keep a pretty tight guard/defensive hand postion (aka boxing), but due to different mechanics often the lead strike appears to make the elbow extend along a higher line of attack with the elbow facing slightly outwards (horizontal fist). This seems to give a bigger hole/opportunity to shoot/enter than an elbow down lead (vertical fist) strike.

I be interested to know your thoughts on defensive hand postioning given your recent positive MMA experiences.

Congrats on your recent successes and best regards
    Alan:

Thanks for the question and kind words.

re:

I was curious on whether you found any merit in vertical fist structure (elbow in and down structure) in your system when say jabing or lead hand striking vs opponents attempting to shoot in under the strike or body clinching?

Alan:

Yes, of course. The vertical fist structure has many merits as a Chinese Boxing punch, we call our vertical fist jab a spring punch. You just need to use your horse 'stance/footwork' to move in with it. The elbow down means it is harder for a grappler to shoot and take you down as you can use your elbow to strike them.

re:
    does it enble a better/quicker defensive reaction such as sprawling whilst wedging the elbow into the neck/shoulder line, or working and over arm under defense, etc.

Alan:

Yes and you will get better head control quicker.

re:

You see the kind of MMA change of level and shoot attack practiced and executed often from baiting the lead jab to make the entry possible.

Alan:

What has happened is when guys use a boxing jab we can attack a cutting punch attack and hit the ribs or head, taking their side for striking or a counter takedown.

RE:

Obviously most strikers (or at least the ones I'm familar with) keep a pretty tight guard/defensive hand postion (aka boxing), but due to different mechanics often the lead strike appears to make the elbow extend along a higher line of attack with the elbow facing slightly outwards (horizontal fist). This seems to give a bigger hole/opportunity to shoot/enter than an elbow down lead (vertical fist) strike.

Alan:

I agree 100% Wing Chun is a boxing system, but a chinese Boxing system. Often people mix boxing with Wing Chun, to me this is wrong. What is wing chun for? To fight in any range, but you must understand range and structure of distance and so on. The you can fight with your wing chun skills. I think wing chun is great striking system if your have body structure and a correct understanding of these points.

My new DVD series ( and my first series) is all about this. I did them to try to help heal Wing Chun as a lot of Wing Chun is giving us a bad name.

Check out this page the picture as the end of the page is a cutting punch counter

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/produc...mwingchun.html

The elbow, controls the body and allows me to use my body power to link and break the opponents sturcture.

Also a quick thank you to 'Phuc Carem' .

My best

Alan Orr

www.alanorr.com

Wing Chun vs MMA

No problem Alan, because it's the truth. Take care and be well.

thanks Alan

Thanks for your comments Alan

Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to scrape the cash together and take a look at your latest clinch (chi-na) series.

This range has sparked my interest over the last year or so and is warrants exploring on my behalf.

cheers