Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lama Pai Video Clips

Wood Dragon that is a traditional Lama form, It's not Sifu Parella that is influencing the form. CLF and Lama are nearly Identical exept one focuses specifacaly on anti trapping and was developed to be an anti Shaolin style.

I don't think that you are far off, CLF was definatly influenced by Lama tech as it has been influenced by many other styles from the Clear Cloud Monestary aka ( green cloud monestary).

C'mon with the (AKA) stuff.....

lama form

thanks for the very cool form demo.
    lama pai is a very interesting system with a cool history....
    ~doc
    "he listened to the devil and learned that EVIL KUNG FU... but he saved the temple"

-arhats in fury

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    C'mon with the (AKA) stuff.....

Most people don't know it's called the Clear Cloud, We just started to refer to it as CL recently since we always called it GREEN CLOUD!

Blog Entries
    mike,

you know what i mean by stuff.

but the applications, not bad. want to see more. ..............stuff

frank

Sifu K.,...I know what you mean.

Then can we call it "the Monastery formally know as GC", just like Prince/Artist - whatever the hell he calls himself now.

Yes, we all know that we made an error in calling it Green Cloud. Actually, Innocenzi knew about 15 years ago, but said no one listened to him! Ha!

We all just made an innocent mistake, Laurette and David R. had always called it that, so I just assumed..

But it's good that we cleared it up (no pun intended)!

Did you know that I'm taking the group in April to the temple grounds? We don't know what they look like now, most likely the forest has taken over the remains, but it'll be cool to see what it looks like now.

If you have any students who want to go....let me know. I hope you let them know about the trip already.....it's going to be a great experience for anyone in our family.

Take lots of pictures

Again, here are some basic/conceptual applications.

Here are Lama's 'bread and butter' techniques.

Gwa-Kaph, Pao Choih, Biin-Chuyhn.

Just one example on a basic level of how they are used.

Lama Pai Applications Video #3

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Wood Dragon that is a traditional Lama form, It's not Sifu Parella that is influencing the form. CLF and Lama are nearly Identical exept one focuses specifacaly on anti trapping and was developed to be an anti Shaolin style.
    Do you mean lama style was designed to the anti-shaolin? Do you mean that it evolved specifically to be anti-shaolin or was that particular evolution largely the influence of Wong Yan Lam?

Is the clf, the style which is supposed to be anti-grappling? If that's the case, could you provide an overview of clf's strategy against clinching, takedown, and throw?

thanks

Lama Pai is considered and 'anti-grappling' style. It is also many 'opposite' strategies/philosophies as compared to Shaolin styles.

Although we do not know what Lama Pai really looked like 200 years ago while it was still in Tibet, we can assume that most of it's basics are the same.

As far as which style influenced which? We might assume that Lama influenced many styles, especially since it is older and was made quite famous through the exploits of Wong Yan Lum (#1 spot on the Ten Tigers of Canton- Guangdong Sup Fu). There are parts of Hung Ga's Sup Ying Kuyhn that are exact combinations that appear in almost every Lama Set. They do not duplicate themselves in Hung Ga.

Did Lama influence or give some tech to Hung Ga? Who knows for sure. But we do a five animal form that we are told is learned from Hung-Ga during the time of the Ten Tigers. Both Wong Fei-Hung's dad and Tiit Kiu Sam occupied spots in the group and it's reasonable to assume they shared info.

I'm not influencing one style or the other. They are done as they were taught to me. But on another note, influencing styles....isn't that the reason we have so many? Each generation, more and more forms are created, styles are merged, borrowed from or forgotten. It seems to be the spirit of CMA.

Does it make one style better than the next? Hardly. As we all know, it's the guy (or girl) who makes the style. It matters not how much you know, but how well you know it.

I'm happy I learned and get to make a great living teaching cool Kung-Fu. Personally, I'm a little more focused on how to use it well, then exactly which came first.

No disrespect to the question, just a matter of opinion and focus.

Again, here are some basic/conceptual applications.

Here are Lama's 'bread and butter' techniques.

Gwa-Kaph, Pao Choih, Biin-Chuyhn.

Just one example on a basic level of how they are used.

Lama Pai Applications Video #3

Enjoy!

On the 1st app (which ends in a strike to the temple/mastoid). Are you using some form of (don't know the CMA term) ridge hand or is it a paw-fist (leopard fist?)?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Blog Entries
    Sifu Parella-
    Great clips! Does Lama have a form called Lo Hon Kune?

How do you differentiate your Kup Choy and Sow Choy? I ask because with your Sow Choy, I noticed you struck with the same surface area as the Kup Choy. Typically, in the lineages of CLF that I've studied, Sow Choy strikes with the back foreknuckles or the inside forearm bone.

Thanks very much for sharing these.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Our So (Sow) Choih uses both (all three) parts. It can use foreknuckles (like Kahp), Top of fist -turned over, or the forearm. All different but the same.

No disrespect to the question, just a matter of opinion and focus.
    If you were referring to my question, I was kind of confused by what Sifu Gus had to say.

First, I wasn't sure which was to be which. Lama as the ant shaolin style or anti-grappling style.

If lama was supposed to be the anti-shaolin style, that would be sort of difficult because lama style originally have little contact with shaolin style (my assumption) in Tibet. so, it would have to be the influence of the Wong Yan Lam because he was the propagator that saw the earliest interaction with chinese stylists.

If clf was what he meant as anti-shaolin, then I am also quite confuse. Didn't clf evolved from three shaolin derivative styles or shaolin based styles since clf founder reputedly studied under two layman shaolin student and one shaolin monk. so, unless he mean that it evolved to become anti-shaolin style because shaolin derivative style were its peer competitors.

I just thought his comment was puzzling because it didn't jel with my understanding of clf and lama style's histories. when I read "anti" I am thinking it is a style designed to counter something. so, if he mean to use anti as something which is different or just opposite, than I just don't usually see the word "anti" in that usage. so, my whole line of question is moot.