Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Tai Chi Sweat Different??

Is Tai Chi Sweat Different??

Hi All,

I've been practicing Tai Chi for about six months and I've noticed that the sweat that comes from a Tai Chi workout feels different than any other kind of workout. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and why that is? or am I just imagining it?

Quote Originally Posted by MuayTaiChi
    Hi All,

I've been practicing Tai Chi for about six months and I've noticed that the sweat that comes from a Tai Chi workout feels different than any other kind of workout. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and why that is? or am I just imagining it?
    Yes it sure does. Have you got a copy of this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188...lance&n=283155

no i havent...does it mention it in the book? what does it say?

You're kidding, right?

What biochemical process in the human body would cause a new kind of "sweating"? Maybe you should lay off the cheesy poofs before class as diet is the only thing I can think of that has an effect on what you perspire.

No, I'm not kidding....btw i'm a fan of ur site...

sweat removes toxins from ur body...and its well known that the stuff you sweat out can change due to different things you do to ur body. If you fast, for example, your digestive process has a chance to clean itself out and detoxify; a biproduct being toxins released in sweat more so than normal. i'm not suggesting, as some might, that tai chi has mystical powers...i was just wondering if anyone experiences what i see for myself when i practice.

and i like cheesy poofs so no i wont lay off

Not so ridiculous. It's a subjective experience so I don't know what to make of it. The process of sweating can't possibly change much but the particular toxins and stuff that you excrete can. I mean, the feeling from sweating from it being just hot and stuffy is totally different from the sweat you get from a work out. I can't imagine why Taiji would produce different results from just any other training but it might.

Different biological processes produce different wastes so that's probably something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuayTaiChi
    no i havent...does it mention it in the book? what does it say?
    I don't but I've heard that its very good. It describes doing tai chi as a new sense of being. so what you said about sweating it out seems to make sense.

I always get funny little sensations when I practice. If it's not painfull, and it's not detrimental to your practice, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. Some people sweat, some people get the tingly feeling, some look at everyone else like they're crazy because they don't feel anything.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Greetings..

Different organs/bio-systems contain different toxins.. different Taiji movements/sets affect different systems.. so, it is plausible to assume that depending on the Taiji or QiGong set there may be different qualities of toxins present in the perspiration.. hence differing smells, colors, textures..

I am a profuse perspirer as i pass the half-hour mark in my routines.. my mentor comments that my system is functioning well, the perspiration is normal and a good indication that the Taiji is doing one of its jobs, cleansing.. he also says to focus on the Taiji, not the sweat..

It's interesting to do do Taiji in cool weather and watch the steam rising off the students, in the right light it's almost ethereal..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
    Greetings..

Different organs/bio-systems contain different toxins.. different Taiji movements/sets affect different systems.. so, it is plausible to assume that depending on the Taiji or QiGong set there may be different qualities of toxins present in the perspiration.. hence differing smells, colors, textures..

I am a profuse perspirer as i pass the half-hour mark in my routines.. my mentor comments that my system is functioning well, the perspiration is normal and a good indication that the Taiji is doing one of its jobs, cleansing.. he also says to focus on the Taiji, not the sweat..

It's interesting to do do Taiji in cool weather and watch the steam rising off the students, in the right light it's almost ethereal..

Be well..
    Is there any actual peer-reviewed scientific research backing all of this up, or are they just subjective observations leading to such conclusions?

Greetings..

Phrost: Yes, there is great data out there.. i've done my homework.. and, i'm not going to do yours.. look it up, make up your own mind.. I stand by my post, i'm not in the habit of posting unfounded statements.. or, if i do, i will qualify such statements as such.

Be well..

Greetings..

Phrost: Yes, there is great data out there.. i've done my homework.. and, i'm not going to do yours.. look it up, make up your own mind.. I stand by my post, i'm not in the habit of posting unfounded statements.. or, if i do, i will qualify such statements as such.

Be well..
    You made the claim, it's not my job to prove it; it's yours.

And I don't know you well enough to take your word as any guarantee. Appeal to Authority (even your own) is a fallacy often used by people who have little-to-no proof to support their claims.

Greetings..

Phrost: The statement stands. You are the challenger, the burden is upon you to discredit (with facts, please) the statement(s).. you can accept the statement (recommended), reject it without cause.. or challenge it with evidence.. i have no interest in your action on this matter, i've already done the work and formed well-reasoned conclusions.. i have no intention of debating this issue, at least not until evidence is produced that causes me to doubt my own research (unlikely).

Be well..

Greetings..

Phrost: The statement stands. You are the challenger, the burden is upon you to discredit (with facts, please) the statement(s).. you can accept the statement (recommended), reject it without cause.. or challenge it with evidence.. i have no interest in your action on this matter, i've already done the work and formed well-reasoned conclusions.. i have no intention of debating this issue, at least not until evidence is produced that causes me to doubt my own research (unlikely).

Be well..
    Sorry, Science does not operate on the Gong Sau method. It operates on the Scientific Method and Empiricism. The burden of proof is on the person who is claiming X as true.

This is because you cannot disprove a negative; it's impossible. Prove there isn't a 5 legged green tiger that reads Sartre... go on, prove it.

Your reason for not debating this issue is more than likely because you have no solid facts you can point to to verify your claims. And until you produce such evidence to back up your statements, I'll be like you and continue claiming I've already done all the work to prove the existence of the green tiger.

His name is Larry.
    Last edited by Phrost; 02-02-2006 at 03:17 PM.
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    No BS Martial Arts

Personally, my sweat has allways felt like sweat (no different than any other workout). I think you're probably imagining things, but I really don't know anything about sweat chemistry Meditation can sometimes cause you to percieve the same things differently though.