Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gao-Style Bagua Zhang Seminars--April/May

Buddy, in your Gao style, and in the forms of Liu De Kwan (sp), there's supposed to be 8 pre-heaven palms, and 64 post-heaven palms. I'm assuming the 64 palm form includes variations of each of the 8 fundamental techniques (push, lift, pull, leading, etc.) covered in the pre heaven palms?

These aren't covered in Cheng bagua, are they? I have only run into this in relation to this Liu De kwan form, which is why I ask. Some people say this is the same as taiji, is this true?

I've seen that vid and will only say I didn't care for it. We do the tiangan much differently. Pierce is the first of our jibenshoufa and is done w/the fingers more or less together.
    Try this site:
    http://www.yizongbagua.com/
    for more info about the Yizong branch of Gao style.
    We Have two sets of pre-heaven, tianjin and guanghua. Our 64 is different from Liu Dequan's. One George's site (above) I think there is some translation of our teacher's site that describes the houtian:

The martial arts of our school began being passed down since the time Zhang Zhunfeng arrived in Taiwan in 1947. Zhang Zhunfeng was extremely strict when teaching, especially in fighting and training the body. Every time he had class he led the class on his own and he would pass along the forms on his own. Therefore many of Zhang's students had solid and real fighting skills. Real fighting is the tradition within this school.
    This system has two parts, the first, Xiantianzhang ( Pre-heaven palms ), is done walking in a circle; the second, Houtianzhang ( Post-heaven palms ), is done in straight lines. The research methodology for the system is that of the Pre-heaven palms being the foundation of the Post-heaven palms and the Post-heaven palms being the application of the Pre-heaven palms . The Pre-heaven palms takes the Single Palm Change as the head of the dragon and the eight lines evolve from there, the contents of the Pre-heaven palms are:
    Snake form smooth body palm
    Dragon form piercing hand palm
    Returning body, strike the tiger palm
    Swallow overturning covering hand palm
    Turn the body over the back palm
    Twist the body searching horse palm
    Overturn the body, through the back palm
    Stopping body, move and hook palm

The tail of the dragon is the form of wulongbaiwei (Black Dragon Swings Tail), which ends the form.

Inside the Pre-heaven palms are neigong methods of cultivating the body, the eight large opening hand methods and the eight throwing methods.
    The Post-heaven palm methods concentrate on practicing the forms of attack and defense. They take the eight palms and eight lines of the Pre-heaven palms to become the sixty-four palm methods. Each palm is then expressed alone as a single movement principle. The essential point of single movement practice in the Post-heaven palms is to catch the situation and fajing (emit power). The main point in practice is to catch the situation and then use the situation. The main point behind the practice of each line of the Post-heaven palms is as below:
    The first line – key methods
    The second line – hitting methods
    The third line – skillful methods
    The fourth line – sophisticated (subtle) methods
    The fifth line – elbow methods
    The sixth line – leg methods
    The seventh line – body methods
    The eighth line – stepping methods

I attended the Oakland seminar and was quite happy with the experience. The teachers crammed an extraordinary amount of material into our heads in the short time period. The teachers exhibited good jiben, pleasant demeanors, crisp and precise fighting skills, and joyful willness to demonstrate that they knew what they were talking about. Next time these guys are in town, I recommend Bagua practitioners take a look, regardless of style. I don't doubt they would pick up some good skills from these gentlemen.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    are any of these teachers descended from Hou Ku-Tsai / Ho Ho-Choy?
    He studied Hung-Ga before Gao style, and I was wondering if his Pa-Kua was Hung flavored at all?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    are any of these teachers descended from Hou Ku-Tsai / Ho Ho-Choy?
    He studied Hung-Ga before Gao style, and I was wondering if his Pa-Kua was Hung flavored at all?
    No. I am from Zhang Zhunfeng's line and the guys Joe went to see are from Liu Fengcai's line.