Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gao-Style Bagua Zhang Seminars--April/May

Gao-Style Bagua Zhang Seminars--April/May

The North American Tang Shou Tao Association will be hosting open seminars in April and Maywith the three highest-ranking members of the Gao Yisheng Bagua lineage. These one-and-a-half day seminars will include forms training, linear applications, throws, and much more. This seminar is open to all levels and all styles--
    No previous Bagua experience necessary

Learn more about the instructors, Liu Shuhang, Ge Guoliang & Li Xueyi, and download registration forms at:
    http://www.natsta.org/AboutUs/events.asp

Early registration $175.00 by March 15, 2006
    Eastern Seminar
    D.C. Metro Area, April 22-23, 2006
    Southwestern Seminar
    Tucson, AZ, April 29-30, 2006
    Western Seminar
    Oakland, CA, May 6-7, 2006

"the three highest-ranking members of the Gao Yisheng Bagua lineage."

Of Liu Fengcai's lineage. Not of Gao Yisheng baguzhang.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy
    "the three highest-ranking members of the Gao Yisheng Bagua lineage."

Of Liu Fengcai's lineage. Not of Gao Yisheng baguzhang.
    Do you know Liu Xing-Han? I've got his book. He's like 90 going to 101! talk about long life.

BaGua is this new age art isn't it. Helps me relax.

http://www.discountnewagebooks.com/i...OD&ProdID=1561

Liu Xinghan died. He was of the Nine Palace lineage not Gao style.

Liu Xinghan died. He was of the Nine Palace lineage not Gao style.
    Does the Nine Palace coven get on well with the Gao coven? Do you all have spearate covens where you do your own thing and is there a special time of year for a gathering.

Just a reminder to everyone--

The early registration deadline for these seminars is fast approaching:

March 15, 2006

Space is limited, so sign up early!!

--NATSTA Organizers

Just FYI for anyone who wants to know a bit more about these instructors--

the current (May) issue of Inside Kung Fu has an article on the history of the Tianjin branch of Gao-style bagua.

John G.

"Does the Nine Palace coven get on well with the Gao coven? Do you all have spearate covens where you do your own thing and is there a special time of year for a gathering."

What the hell are you talking about?

article

Hi John-

Cool bios of the Tianjin Gao Ba Gua teachers in IKF. Looking forward to their visit, they seem to have spent their lives reseraching and perfecting Liu Fengcai's Ba Gua and I'm stoked that they want to share it! It's rare that Ba Gua teachers are open and teaching widely, this is a great thing.

-Jess O

Went to the DC Metro area seminar and it was really good. Li Xueyi is not only an absolutely amazing practitioner (duh of course) but he is a really cool dude too. I really enjoyed it. If any of you are able to catch the other seminars its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by green_willow
    Does the Nine Palace coven get on well with the Gao coven? Do you all have spearate covens where you do your own thing and is there a special time of year for a gathering.
    There aren't many people teaching 'nine palace' in the U.S., certainly not as many as the Gao style, so as to how they get along, they probably never see each other. Andy Dale teaches some 'nine palace' in Seattle and John Bracy used to teach in Southern California. I heard he lives in France now.

Yes, teacher Liu passed away a few years ago.

Indeed. One of Bracy's asst instructors studies with me, so I've seen a bit of the 9 palace stuff. I prefer the Gao "coven.

Indeed. One of Bracy's asst instructors studies with me, so I've seen a bit of the 9 palace stuff. I prefer the Gao "coven.
    Not speaking of anyone in particular, but when one studies with a master who is over 80 years old, and studies for a short time, it is not to be expected that he would have learned very much or very well. You shouldn't judge a martial art by the student of such a student. Of course, I also wouldn't judge from someone who never learned the applications (not naming any names, of course).

Not judging, just stating my preferences. Gao style is very systematic. I prefer that approach.

Not judging, just stating my preferences. Gao style is very systematic. I prefer that approach.
    I have Allen Pittman's 24 stem video, and I think that's your lineage. It seems some tacit applications are made explicit in those exercises. (More systematized).

Does your Gao style have any weapons? I know very little about your Gao style lineage. You don't do piercing palm with the fingers spread wide open like Erle Montaigue does, do you?
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 04-25-2006 at 03:31 PM.