View Poll Results: What is the main reason you train?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • To be the best fighter ever!

1 2.38%
  • To be the best fighter I can.

14 33.33%
  • To be able to defend myself against the average bully.

6 14.29%
  • Hobby/culture

4 9.52%
  • other

17 40.48%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the main reason you train?

What is the main reason you train?

You can vote annonmously or state your reasons, but please vote.

I'd like to see the statistics of this forum, by percentage.

Edit: to clarify the catagories...

'to be the best, ever!' = competitive

'to be the best I can' = self-competitive, desire to improve fighting ability

Hobby/Culture = you wish to idulge a culture, share an interest with others, etc.

Other = fitness, watched too many Shaw Bro's movies as child, forced to by gun-point, etc.
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 01-19-2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

when i started it was lik yeh kik the crap out of people but theres no need its just a good by product i do it coz its great for mind body and spirit and keeps me in good shape fighting comes rfta wards.

At first, it was to be a fighter and get in shape.

Now, I train to get better, and to not get worse or stay the same.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Adaptive immunity.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

In the beginning I was totally selfish and all about me and learning something I was very very interested in. I loved the training and the energy I felt in the class and was always eager to see what was next. As I learned more, and understood more about Wing Chun, I realized it was something special and that the people that I was involved with were high quality instructors. Eventually I started to teach and now I find this gives me the most satisfaction. Underlying all of this is also the fact the sh!t works, and that it is very effective if you can use it right, I find this the most fascinating part of the Science of Wing Chun. If I was teaching something that just looked good but wasn't effective in a fight, I know I would not be teaching it today.

James

I voted for other since my reason is not included . . . enjoyment . . . yes I want to develop my fighting skills . . . yes I am interested in health benefits . . . and so on . . . but top of list is enjoyment . . . if I did not enjoy the training I would not be doing it. The poll was good idea I am thinking.

Thanks,

Ghost

Justin,

Good thread. I think the answer to this question puts a lot of people's statements in their proper context.

For me, I train to develop my-self on a physical/emotional/mental/spiritual level.

I view martial art as a methodology for personal development.

-GFH

I used to train for fighting. Since I haven't had a fight in years and kept breaking my hands and wrists training for fighting. I changed my focus. Now I train for fitness and self preservation.

I find it funny that fitness isn't one of the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofwingchun
    I voted for other since my reason is not included . . . enjoyment . . . yes I want to develop my fighting skills . . . yes I am interested in health benefits . . . and so on . . . but top of list is enjoyment . . . if I did not enjoy the training I would not be doing it. The poll was good idea I am thinking.

Thanks,

Ghost
    That would probably fall under 'Hobby' then.

I realize the many benifits that can come from training in MA. The question is asking the Primary reason for choosing MA.

(oh, and I should of had a selection for 'watched too many shaw bros. films as a child', but please use the Hobby choice for that.)
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    I used to train for fighting. Since I haven't had a fight in years and kept breaking my hands and wrists training for fighting. I changed my focus. Now I train for fitness and self preservation.

I find it funny that fitness isn't one of the choices.

Again, select Hobby or other for this.

Martial Arts are a poor choice for 'fitness', IMO. Some better 'fitness' ideas would be pilates or yoga (if you want a little culture as well, and the meditation)....real yoga, though, not a video or trendy yoga class.

Why, if fitness is your choice, would you choose MA over something like yoga or an aerobics class??

BTW, I voted 'to be the best fighter I can'.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    Again, select Hobby or other for this.

Martial Arts are a poor choice for 'fitness', IMO. Some better 'fitness' ideas would be pilates or yoga (if you want a little culture as well, and the meditation)....real yoga, though, not a video or trendy yoga class.

Why, if fitness is your choice, would you choose MA over something like yoga or an aerobics class??

BTW, I voted 'to be the best fighter I can'.
    I would choose Martial Arts over yoga or pilates any day. It is a full body workout with health benefits included(chi kung, breath control, meditation, etc..). Plus even if you don't practice sparring, you will at the least learn something about self defense which may come in handy someday. You learn none of these extra's with the other things. I've played many sports, and none of them have given me the same workout fatigue as Martial Arts training has.

James

I look at it as a lifestyle. Doing it for seven years. Two diferent styles. Talk about it constantly with the many martial arts friends I have made. To me it is much more then a hobby.

You are troll baiting. In other words if you aren't training for fighting it is a hobby? Sorry I answered this thread.

Martial arts is a poor choice for fitness? Are you for real? Whatever dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    I would choose Martial Arts over yoga or pilates any day. It is a full body workout with health benefits included(chi kung, breath control, meditation, etc..). Plus even if you don't practice sparring, you will at the least learn something about self defense which may come in handy someday. You learn none of these extra's with the other things. I've played many sports, and none of them have given me the same workout fatigue as Martial Arts training has.

James
    Mr James I am thinking that often we do not appreciate what others do especially if we have no experience with what others do . . . so I think it is fine and dandy to be happy with what you do but there is no need to compare it to others. It has been my experience that different physical activities can give entirely different work out . . . wc does not give workout that grappling or yoga does . . . many top grapplers swear by yoga . . . and I have seen martial artists drop from exhaustion in aerobics classes . . . lol.

Thanks,

Ghost

Exclamation Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    I would choose Martial Arts over yoga or pilates any day. It is a full body workout with health benefits included (chi kung, breath control, meditation, etc..). Plus even if you don't practice sparring, you will at the least learn something about self defense which may come in handy someday.
    James
    I think that this speaks directly to what Justin is asking. Specifically why do YOU train? Not the benefits that others could/would/should get from MA training. However there are some issues that I feel should be addressed:

Speaking as a certified trainer who had his own personal training business for 5 years...

Yoga IS a full body workout if you seek a qualified instructor. Also the practice of pranayama (breath control/meditation) is integral to any practice of yoga.

I agree with Justin that martial art is a poor choice for fitness. The reason is because fitness is activity specific. Just because you can spar 5 - 5 minute rounds does not mean that you are healthy and fit. If you train in MA's then that is what you will be fit in. It doesn't mean that you can go run a 5k. (how many overweight/out of shape black belts have you seen? I myself have seen plenty in my day). Most martial artists that are healthy and fit are because they cross train in running/cycling/resistance training/etc..

It takes much more training and technique to learn how to safely perform a kick than it does to run or pedal a bicycle. Not to say that you can't get a good workout. It's just to say that for the general population I would not suggest martial arts as an "effective" fitness routine.

Also, if a student is training merely for fitness I rather doubt they have the mindset (killer instinct/guts/aggression) it takes to prevail in a serious street altercation.

IMHO, I feel that too many 'recreational' martial artists have a false sense of security.

-GFH