Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lau Bun Stories

"so they stayed silent during practice."

nice :P

inter-racial marriage is still some problems for many peoples... black people - white people, chinese peopels - white people etc are among classical scenerio among other.. even sub groups in the same race group... even today!.. very sad...

as my teacher taught us as children... "we all bleed red" red blood.. we all humans... cut the skin and we all bleed red...

at the same time.. i still respect people's choice.. lau bun never teach white people i belief? why was that? if any one knows?

please any racial debate another seperate threadi. but if anyone knows what was the reasons he was against teach white people? it may be as simple as persecution against chinese but .. ?clinically ( i don't know the corrent english word) and comment on his choice. im guessing in that time frame it was ... so that chinese can protect themselfs against gwailo (excuse any whiote peoples dun like that teerm) hope u know what i means - dun let the enemy know ur skill kinda thing...

sorry for off topic questions...

(V) - all rights violated! :P that way cannot offend any 1 group :P mayeb (N) - Neutral is better :/

PEACE

I posted a comment online a while back noting how Foshan (Fatsan) seems to be some kind of kung fu Mecca. I know of:

Wing Chun
    Choy Lay Fut
    Bak Mei

But I'm sure there are more. What makes Foshan so special?

thats an interesting point FutSan like ToiSan and several other places seem to be a Mecca... even Macao also..

i wonder why is that!?!

or is it just that these places are well known in the west?

to add to list... hung gar (i think) have futsan major point of influence?

maybe its geograhpical?

interesting question

i hope to learn also

yumseng~

Quote Originally Posted by 5thBrother
    to add to list... hung gar (i think) have futsan major point of influence?
    <Slaps forehead> Of course Hung Gar!

The legendary Wong Fei Hung hailed from Foshan.

DOH!

i should of know that! re: the -i think- ... i blame the friday night beer! :/

:X

Not teaching Gwailos?

If that is the case, then how did GrandMaster Dino Salvatera learn CLF?

Seems like a contradiction if neither Lau Bun or Bing Chan would teach non chinese.

What gives?
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

hi all.

Leo T Fong made a book in the early or mid 80's called "choy lay fat" its stored away at my family home somewhere so i dont have it here...

but i recall somewhere in theback of my mindthat leo t fong studied lau bun 's hung sing clf?? if so.. there is a form in da book lin wan kune i think or maybe that was his sil lum book :x .... what ever the case is the form in that book Lau Bun line lin wan kune (or what ever the name of it is) form? ie. is that an example form of lau bun choy lay fat?

thanks

Blog Entries
    5th brother,

Leo Fong did learn from Lau Bun, but somewhere went on to do his own thing. the set he was doing in the book was Cheung Kuen (long Fist). I've only seen the book, and i wasn't impressed at all. I've never seen him perform the set so i cannot comment on his execution of the moves, but in no way shape or form is leo fong to be a representative of Lau Bun's Choy Lee Fut.

The name Wah Keung was the name of his school, which means roughly "strong Chinese".

Leo Fong is one of those types of guys you say....oh, he too learned from Lau Bun?"

but again, please don't let the leo fong book be some form of representation of our lineage.

hsk

Blog Entries
    ttt

Blog Entries
    i just found a website of Ed Parker's Kempo karate and have tried to contact a Master Hawkins. Now always knew that ed parker used lau buns choy lee fut as a model to create his kempo, but from what the forum said was that their forms 3-5 were from lau bun.

Im interested in finding out what their forms look like.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Was Lau Bun ever living in Hawaii? On William Kwai-Sun Chow's original patch, there were the characters Choy Li Fut on it. Also, who did James Ibrao study with? James Ibrao was also instrumental in the creation of the kenpo forms, especially Tracy's Kenpo, which was from Parker, and shared many forms.
    Many people had said that William Chow;s father, Chow Hoon, studied Hung Kuen, but I see alot of CLF as well, especially some techniques which utilize been choy, sow choy combinations, as well as many techniques using jit fu(?)

Hello Sifu McCarthy and all,

I am not a CLF boxer, however I am very intrigued by the legends of Lew Bin (Lao Bun). I look forward to the book! Just out of curiosity, how are you listing your sources in the book? Sounds like it's going to be a collector's item for Scholar Boxers.

This may or may not be of any help, but it would be interesting to cover the story of the Taoist woman who scarred Lew Bin's hand. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Lew Bin migrated to LA via Mexico through San Diego. He came over during the "Paper Sons" era, and took up a job washing clothes (a job delegated to minorities only). It was here where he became good friends with the Fire Chief, who in turn gave him a ride to SF after ducking from the police. Lew Bin never visited Hawaii, because "he didn't have a passport" (Lew Bin initially thought Hawaii was another country).

I beleive it was Ed Parker who first referred to Lew Bin as "Professor" due to the term's popularity in the Kenpo system. During that time, foreign language was not respected at all, so Caucasian Americans simply used english terms to describe their rank (non-Asians thought words like "sifu" and "Sensei" were "cheenky" and alien). "Professor" was much easier to pronounce, and was at the time, more respected than foreign tongues.

It may be difficult to dig for info., because asking about Lew Bin to the Chinese is like asking about a Yakuza to a Japanese person, or a Mafia boss to the Italians. It's a small, tightly-nit community, and no one wants to "snitch" or tarnish someone's public reputation.

Again, my information may be inaccurate because I'm simply regurgitating the "word on the street". Anyway, keep us posted on the book's progress.

Good luck to you!
    M.Dasargo
    Last edited by Michael Dasargo; 01-16-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    michael,

thanks for the info. i never knew that lau bun was scarred by a taoist lady.

the fire chief is something no one in hung sing talked about.

but there is a story about Lau Bun saving the life of a LA police officer.

Lew Bin, wow, there's only a few people (and they're all from southern Cali) that call him lew bin.

if i may ask, where did you get your info from?

thank you for you input.

Blog Entries
    i see where your information came from. is this right, Share Lew is your nephew?

i tried to contact share lew a few years back, now i heard that sifu lew learned from Lau Bun, and i also heard that Lau Bun had a nephew, but i was never told it was share lew.

another chinese guy from Southern LA came down with his student ( a black guy) up to our school and vistited, he claimed to be Lau Bun's nephew.

michael, pls feel free and jump in to share some of the stories of Lau Bun. I personally would love to hear what you have. it's a blessing to lau bun for us to remember him. so jump on in. if you know about the police officer he saved let me know the story.

thanks,

frank---hsk

Blog Entries

a fighter and a healer

Professor lau Bun was more than just a fighter, he not only knew how to kill, but he knew how to heal as well.

One of my escrima students who was once a student of Professor Lau Bun would always tell me how when he was a kid he broke his ankle and his father brought him into see Professor Lau who reset roger's bones then slapped on some black tar plaster around his ankle and roger was able to walk out of the school on his own.

i believe he passed his dit da medicine recipe's down to my sigung Jew Leong. Our Dit Da Jow is some of the best stuff out on the market. but my sigung limits me to how many gallons of it i can buy. but the stuff is off the hook. this is the same stuff Ed Parker used to buy from Professor Lau.

i guess you can say he was a perfect example of ying and yang.

hsk