Thread: Lau Bun Stories

Hybrid View

I think he meant in instance(s) of self agrandizment or promotion. When someone more or less names themselves "Professor", in contrast to someone like Lau Bun who was given the name by his peers and/or students. You (Sifu McCarthy) are the de facto historian of your lineage on these boards so you would know, but I'm willing to bet that the late Sifu Lau Bun never called himself "Professor".

On the flip side many or even most people here have probably come accross a crop of people who promote themselves "GrandMaser" or "GreatGrandmaster", or "Great GrandPubaShortyMoneyGripZipTightJeans" especially after "creating" their own version of Jeet Kune Do, or just flat out BS.

Hello hskwarrior. I'm enjoying all the Lau Bun stories (I love martial arts history), but I'm confused about something you said. You refer to Bruce Lee's "student" the "green hornet". Are you referring to Van Williams, the actor who played the Green Hornet in the TV series (in which BL co-starred as Kato)? That wouldn't make any sense. Williams wasn't a student of Lee. He also wasn't a fighter or martial artist, he was an actor. Could you provide any clarification on this? Thanks in advance.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Blog Entries
    that was according to my sifu, who was there, and he said at the time van williamas did learn gung fu from bruce.

im just recallilng the stories.

if any one knows.

what was training like at lau bun's school?
    what did a typical training session consist of?

great stories on this and CTS thrreads!

thanks

very motivational these stories (of all the diffenert masters and teachers)...

i was just about to ask if Lau Bun had dit da healing skills.. but ur post beat me too it..

do u know what areas of healing he was proficient or majored in eg needling, herbs, massage, cuppingm moxa, etc or all of the above?

any stories related to healing skills also welcome....

good luck with your book and thanks for sharing these interesting stories. i know u have to keep stuff in reserve for the book so double thanks

http://www.jewleong.zoomshare.com/

thanks!

nice website and great photos

im not choy lay fat but love martial arts and historical stuff...

well i did clf for about a year as it was the only decent school in the town i was staying.. i like clf though.

anyways just saying good site! and good stories

PS:

"The American Hung Sing Kwoon. copyright 2001."

has this been published already then? do u know the isbn?
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 01-13-2006 at 03:47 AM.