Thread: What is Chuan FA

What is Chuan FA

IS this a generic term in the CMA. Can someone elaborate for me and Just curious.

Bueller Bueller anyone

It just means "Fist Way." You could call CMA "Chuan Fa," but mostly you see the Kempo crowd throwing it around.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Thnaks i saw there was a school at the Marine base in NC adverstising it. Didnt know if it was a CMA or some hybrid karate cma version.

Chuan Fa (mandarin) - Kuen Faht (cantonese) - fist techniques

This would be the general translation. Faht is added to a variety of words such as girk faht (kicking techniques), kwun faht (staff techs), etc....

I remember this name. Back in my hometown my first Sifu, who taught Hsing-I, called the childrens Kung-Fu class Chuan Fa. It consisted of some fairly simple forms teaching the basics (punching, kicking, stances ect.) Sort of the "Building blocks" of kung-fu. What do you hear it being used for?
    Last edited by Hatsuyuki; 12-29-2005 at 04:18 PM.
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee."-William Shakespeare

A style taught in nc.

Chuan Fa or Quan Fa

For lack of a better word, Fa is Dharma (roughly translated as the laws of physical realm). Supposedly the core of Shaolin pugilistic system(s) should be consistent or at least reflect Dharma (see the debate on intelligent design on the main forum); hence, Quan Fa or Dharma in pugilistic form. But nowadays, oh well ... never mind. It has been reduced to physical movements mostly.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

You say it is on a marine base.

To me this would mean that they probably focus most on actual application with striking.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Smile Hi Psycho Mantis,

Well, in the case of Praying Mantis, there is no easy answer. But first I would like to know your frame of references. For example, where does the date 1645 came from? And where can we find the info regarding "burning" of Shaolin Temple around that time? Are you aware that Mainland has resolved that birth place of Praying Mantis Kung Fu is within the Laiyang, Yantai area not Lao Shan, Qingdao area (still within Shandong province though)?

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum