Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tired of so called "MMA" in UFC

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon
    Chief, when you said praying mantis you must mean northern style, I think southern style is unique aka Kwong Sai Jook Lum.
    Anyway, I wanted to chime in and say after watching a lot of K-1 on ESPN, I think it is LAME ! A lot of leg kicks but so weak they are like feints and obviously just meant to annoy by repitition. None of these guys ever do anything, just cover with thier gloves like boxers on qualudes. The ones I saw had to go extra rounds for a decision cause nobody made any points. WTF ?
    I'm not a historian but the way I understand Praying Mantis aka Tang Lang Chuan, is Hand work of a mantis, foot work of a monkey. Then the most effective parts of 18 different styles were put together to complete the system. It then moved to different parts of China and evolved into the different praying mantis styles. To be honest, I don't really care. The only relevance is the assimilation of different techniques into the evolution of a style.

As far as K-1 goes. I've seen some pretty good fights on there. The leg kicks are very effective. I've seen guys get chopped down round after round until they can barely stand and can't continue. Remember K-1 is tournament style. Even if you win a fight it's possible that you may not be able to go on because of injury. I've also seen some pretty good knock outs by high kicks in K-1. However, many of the fighters are really just brawlers with no skill. This is were the lameness comes in.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Why I could beat up Johnny Knoxville

Sorry, completely random thought, I watched the ******* movie about a year ago. During two sequences members of the ******* crew "fought" people. One was Butterbee if I remember correctly. The other was a womens K-1 champ. I was watching it with a few buddies of mine. Only one other martial artist in the group and he was too tanked to stand much less engage in discourse about such a ludicrous fight. I remember she cut down one guy with pretty much nothing but low kicks. Now I LOVE low roundhouses. I also could tell that this lady wasn't even trying.

Like I said. Completely random thought.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    very good, that's your choice.

now what?

What I'm getting at is it's all the same. you train for "street fighting", yet I use my "ring fighting" in real fights. People kill me with the "sport" and "too deadly" delinneations. Good fighting based on sound principles will always be such. period.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs down

Ever been in a rush and simply can't find something that you knew exactly where it was? When you stopped and slowed down, you found it didn't you?

Ever been under stress and had trouble doing a simple mechanical function like sticking a key in a lock?

In the street, if you are attacked, the first second goes

BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM

The very first thing I do in a self defense seminar is walk up to a random person and without warning scream in their face... they always jump...

Whether you want to call it stress, adrenaline, whatever.... it is all the same... the crucial factor in a fight is coming to your senses and overcoming this response

There are no "MMA techniques"... just like there are no "deadly techniques"...

There are simply those who can use technique for real, and those who can not

Personally, I will take a kid raised in a bad neighborhood who has had many street altercations over a kid taking Kali classes in a knife fight.

I'd also more likey pick the competitive Judoka over the "deadly" class room martial artist

It is a matter of who is more used to working in conditions of "stress"

The fact people haven't gotten past this by now is sort of sad
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

So, I'll watch some more K-1... maybe I just watched on a bad day.