Ok, we've all seen it. It's a UFC bout. The fighters are introduced and we are all informed about how much they've trained in a certain style. Most times it's Juijitsu (sorry about the spelling). The fight starts and we see two guys who are wildly trading blows. Very few kicks, some ground work but most of the fight is the two guys just trying to knock each other out.

The other fight we see all the time is the one that immediately goes to the ground and the two fighters roll around on the mat for a while until they are pulled apart or one taps. In my opinion, a very boring fight.

So why is it that these ground fighting experts try to do stand up when it looks like all they can do is stand toe to toe and trade punches? What do they have to prove by doing stand up?

I watch these fights and the whole time I'm yelling "LEG KICK, LEG KICK, HIS LEG IS RIGHT OUT THERE, KICK IT." But they don't. They trade blows and "try" to box. And most do it very poorly.

Maybe I'm wrong but the most popular mix of training these days for MMA is, juijitsu, muy tai and boxing. From the looks of the fights though, there are plenty of guys who can fight on the ground but when it comes to stand up, they're pretty bad. There are exceptions of course but most times it's just a very sloppy slug fest with no kicks.

So the typical UFC MMA fighter is well versed in ground fighting but in my opinion is lacking in the boxing/muy tai area.

Just an observation. For all of you MMA guys out there LEG KICK!