Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What actually does beat a grappler?

What actually does beat a grappler?

I think I agree that biting and eye gouging are pretty low percentage moves against a grappler, and probably not justifiable in most cases. Hitting him while staying on the move could work if you can knock him out with a punch or two, which is not likely. It seems to me that pressure point attacks are not always reliable. So, what actually would give you a good chance of beating a grappler? Thanks in advance.

Most of it depends on your skill level and your opponents skill level. I don't think that ALL "grapplers" are necessariliy good fighters. A better question would be "What beats a good fighter?" The answer is, "a better fighter". If you're worried about the grapplers then you have to get comfortable in their world. I'm not saying that you have to be a Black Belt in BJJ but learning some techniques to avoid the take down and learning some escapes to get back up on your feet as soon as possible are a good thing.

Here's a little personal experience on eye gouges and how effective they are.

When I was in college I dated this girl. It turns out that she was dating a few other people as well. I went to her house one night to confront her about it and one of the other people she was dating was there. Well her and I got into a huge argument. Eventually the other guy got involved and out of the blue he pops me right in the nose. Broke it, actually. I had no formal fight training at the time but I was p!ssed off and that takes you a long way. So I go at the guy. We scuffle around a bit and end up on the ground. He's on his back, I'm on top of him but he sorta has me in a guilitine. I reach up over my head to his face, I put both of my thumbs right in his eyes and applied pressure with my fingures wrapped around his head. If you've ever had this done to you, you know it hurts. At this point I calmly said, "if you don't let go of me, I'm going to rip your eyes out." He let go. I moved my hands from his eyes to his neck and started to choke him while I was banging his head on the floor.

So the eye gouge along with some "negotiating" has actually worked for me.

FYI, I'm not proud of what I did that night. I shouldn't have gone to her house in the first place. I had been drinking though and my judgement was very clouded to say the least.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    umm, the same thing that beats any other 'style' of fighter:

Being better than they are at the time you fight them.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Takedown defense + clinching = staying on your feet.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    So, what actually would give you a good chance of beating a grappler?
    Training with grapplers.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Most of it depends on your skill level and your opponents skill level. I don't think that ALL "grapplers" are necessariliy good fighters. A better question would be "What beats a good fighter?" The answer is, "a better fighter". If you're worried about the grapplers then you have to get comfortable in their world. I'm not saying that you have to be a Black Belt in BJJ but learning some techniques to avoid the take down and learning some escapes to get back up on your feet as soon as possible are a good thing.

Here's a little personal experience on eye gouges and how effective they are.

When I was in college I dated this girl. It turns out that she was dating a few other people as well. I went to her house one night to confront her about it and one of the other people she was dating was there. Well her and I got into a huge argument. Eventually the other guy got involved and out of the blue he pops me right in the nose. Broke it, actually. I had no formal fight training at the time but I was p!ssed off and that takes you a long way. So I go at the guy. We scuffle around a bit and end up on the ground. He's on his back, I'm on top of him but he sorta has me in a guilitine. I reach up over my head to his face, I put both of my thumbs right in his eyes and applied pressure with my fingures wrapped around his head. If you've ever had this done to you, you know it hurts. At this point I calmly said, "if you don't let go of me, I'm going to rip your eyes out." He let go. I moved my hands from his eyes to his neck and started to choke him while I was banging his head on the floor.

So the eye gouge along with some "negotiating" has actually worked for me.

FYI, I'm not proud of what I did that night. I shouldn't have gone to her house in the first place. I had been drinking though and my judgement was very clouded to say the least.
    On an interesting note, notice you were in a grappling situation when the gouge was used...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    don't fight their fight. I'm not talking about stand up verses grappling-I'm talking about changing your perspective on grappling. Look more towards the Indonesian Silat grappling. They will go for ankle locks, armlocks, and everything breaks. Viscious stuff, but while the other guy is concentrating on mount and submission, you concentrate on breaking whetever is within reach.
    The difference is in your philosophy. Don't think sport, think of survival. Don't defeat your opponent-destroy your attacker. Change your mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    On an interesting note, notice you were in a grappling situation when the gouge was used...
    That's true. Maybe the best time to use a gouge is in a clinch or hold situation when your opponent is very close.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    don't fight their fight. I'm not talking about stand up verses grappling-I'm talking about changing your perspective on grappling. Look more towards the Indonesian Silat grappling. They will go for ankle locks, armlocks, and everything breaks. Viscious stuff, but while the other guy is concentrating on mount and submission, you concentrate on breaking whetever is within reach.
    The difference is in your philosophy. Don't think sport, think of survival. Don't defeat your opponent-destroy your attacker. Change your mindset.
    Without a dominant position, you won't have the leverage to break much.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Chuck Norris.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I grappled Chuck Norris once to get an eye-gouge on him. His eyelids were so tough they choked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash
    Chuck Norris.

Yes I agree - Chuck Norris, David Carradine and other martial art greats will have no problem. But mere motals like us we should focus on using our side kicks to keep grapplers away.

Throw them on thier head, and follow up by stomping them on thier necks really hard!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

My friend told me that jumping out of trees into horse stance is usually enough to frighten grapplers away.

to fight a style, you have to train that style to learn what it is about. simple as that.

find the places where the water slips out and hit them.

I think it's been said, 'train with grapplers'.
    Kung Fu is good for you.