Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samurai and Monks

My mate Steve's flat. I sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor.

Samurai and Monks

Right, DO NOT tell me I'm being a sado or a troll or whatever. This is a SERIOUS post so do not be loserish.

If a Samurai (Katana) fought a Shaolin Monk (Broadsword or Straightsword) then who would be the best do you think and why?

I was thinking of learning more sword arts so do you think I should do Samurai like Kendo and Iaido or Chinese like Wudan or Shaolin.

Please don't be sad, and please DO give me a proper answer.

if you want to do a sword art then you have some thinking to do... if you want japanese sword then that is pritty easy as you have kendo and iaido also kenjitsu, while kendo is seen as a more sport veiw, their are schools that are more traditional, just like many different arts. iaido will give you play with a live blade and teach you to draw your sword quickly.

if you are looking into chinese swordmanship by itself then you are in for some trouble as shao lin and wu dang wouldnt teach you sword alone and you would have to do training without weapons to develop first. even if you think you are ready if you go to another school to learn you must leave behind what you know and learn what is taught. so no quick way unless you want to be rude to the master.

i dont think much of a point to write which is better.

if you look at this silly documentrey on "X-treme martial arts" they show the difference between japanese sword and chinese and show them practising there forms, and saying that japanese sword is more direct when the chinese sword is going everywhere.. even though the usage is, somewhat, different from form.

so up to you. not much help here but just pointing out not going to have much luck finding a shaolin or wudang sword only.

Hi everyone, i'm mostly a reader here since i don't practice any chinese MA, anyway Megafisrt, I'll tell you this:

First see what sword arts are available in your area, then visit the schools and see what really is of interest to you, if it's the japanese sword arts(JSA) then i would advise you to ask your questions at e-budo.com or kendo-world, if it's chinese sword arts this forum is obviously a good start.

On a side note the "terminator vs robocop" kind of questions will only hurt your chances of getting an answer from the people that can actually help you, and yes you'll be seen as a troll.

Good luck
    Last edited by Hishaam; 12-04-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Probably the samurai based on experience. Did monks even fight, or did they do wushu all day?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

See what you have avaliable in your area. The pick what seems to suite you best.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

In the old time, it was nin ja that fight the samurai.

Ninja would use throwing darts, gun powder, bow and arrow and many and many secret weapons to fight before the samurai may approach close enough to sway the sword.

If get close, nin ja would escape or disappear into fire, water, wood, air, and earth etc.

---

No fight is fair. Everyone will use whatever is better or give them advantage to fight. Or only fight when you know you will win. such as surprise attacks in the dark, long distance weapons, outnumber, poison etc, if inferior or disadvantage, Ninja always have several escape routes planned and ready, either a tunnel, a rope to the roof, a ladder, a makeshift bridge, or a breathing straw in the pond etc etc.

-

oops, I give away too many secrets of the "dark arts".

---

1.3 on the troll scale.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I scored him a 2.4, but I'm a generous judge.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

subtleness 9.2 offensiveness and topic content 0.8
    Like other people said look for a good teacher not a style, as for which is better its personal preference.
    Styles of japanese swordsmanship in my eyes have a very sound and deep philosophy not only mental but the techniques really really do work !
    Chinese swordsmanship i really cant say much about as most of it is linked to a style of kung fu. So it goes hand in hand with the style, for ex.tai chi sword, now beyond that if you leanr sword forms from something like wushu they really are quite useless unless your planning on acting in movies.

Thanks all of you brave enough to take this seriously. You are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega_Fist
    Thanks all of you brave enough to take this seriously. You are cool.
    It can only be taken as seriously as "what's better an apple or an orange?"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    It can only be taken as seriously as "what's better an apple or an orange?"
    I think your comments might be better suited on this website David Jamieson, http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit/

As for everyone else, thank you. Does anyone know about Akijutsu?

My post actually has hidden messages.

To counter, Nin Ja Fu,

Samurai would carry multiple samurai swords on the back, on the waist. He would also carry short weapons. Samurai train to use both hands at the same time or in sequence while both hands have weapons.

Nin ja would interdict the caravan in the woods. The ambush site will have many gimmicks.

Smart Samurai will leave the scene asap or look for escape routes.

To linger any longer, more nin ja will come.

You have to even the odds.

--

Apples are good for regularity while oranges with vit C are good for combating common flu or colds.

My point was that it is all about training how to use your hands and body.

Each weapon has its uniqueness or advantages and disadvantages.

Short blades, samurai swords, Dao, Jian etc.

It is up to you to train and use them at your advantage.

I mean the samurai would, nin ja would and why wouldn't you?