Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cultural bias and "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Kannai's food mostly sucks! You musta been lagged!

Yeah, most of the time.

I recall a good (by my admittedly pedestrian palate) German place near Ebisu and a good Italian place waaaay over in Toyohashi. Ok, both of those dining experiences may have been somewhat biased by the bosomy babes dining with me at the time!

But I'll take Kyoto cuisine over anything else!!!

Back OT.

I've finally seen "Geisha." I liked it, but that may be a product of my expectations being lowered by the tepid reviews. It was beautifully made. Great production value and cinematography. I didn't not have a problem with the Chinese actresses playing Japanese Geish. Neither did my fiancee (who is more sensitive to these things). She didn't like Ziyi in her part, but loved Gong Li and Yeoh's performances.

I did have some logical concerns with the plot. (How did Geisha suddenly learn to speak english to American soilders?) but a better movie than I expected. Probably way off on the acutal going ons of traditionaly Geisha, but good entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    In the one I'm thinking about, she was cast as a male all the way through, just like Linda Hunt in Year of Living Dangerously. There were three heroes and it started at this inn, where they were serving human buns, akin to the old Dragon Inn story (actually out of Outlaws of the Marsh for those of you who are literate). But it wasn't Dragon Inn; that was my mistake. Maybe it'll come to me. It wasn't that great of a movie and I saw it a very long time ago.
    and the answer is 絕代雙驕
    Starring Ms. Lin and Andy Lau