Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed is not important

speed not

Hey wong fei hung
    I haven't seen lots of styles but I'd agree with what you say. Some seem close like wing chun, closer still like cimande or sera, and ****her away like Eagle Claw/Northern Shaolin but the idea that when one is good one uses his technique to enter , control, and smack is a common denominator for all styles. And I think all styles that concentrate on fighting and not K2/cage fighting ( and those folks are really strong and in shape)end up being close in for the balls styles.

Liked I've said in an earlier post, I'm guilty of using provoking statements to start threads , at least in regards to strength, speed, whatever is not important.

And it would be cool for more Sifu's to give their inputs.

Pilgrim

Speed

Still think at my level of ability that position is more important then speed. If I have position I'm less likely to fish when blocking,you know -try to block but miss or block too fast and miss. You know, the first one I get hit cause I'm slow and the other I get hit cause I was too fast and miss, in both situations I still get a bloody nose or a pain in my groin.

I'm basically talking about being in a place where I don't rely on speed and timing to block. Cause if I have position I can hit.
    Pilgrim

Dude what your saying is right in the beggining you have to learn positioning, then you add speed to it with control, then you start doing it with power and less control. Then you do away with control and play full speed full power full contact.
    The hardest thing to get right is the timing,it comes last. if everyone could get the timing down correctly all boxing matches would last under 30 seconds.

If you start off with speed it all becomes a big mess. because you are trying to do something fast and you dont even have it ingrained what you want to do