Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incomplete?

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73
    One word Marketting!! The most successful systems are not always the best for combat. Oh, but they are the best marketted ones around.
    Dave, That certainly wasn't the case with Beta vs. VHS. Beta had two serious drawbacks, first is was a proprietary technology owned exclusively by Sony. VHS was more of an "open source" technology.
    But more importantly, Beta tapes had a taping time limit of less than one-hour, which is the standard time that most people wanted to tape since that was the time of many shows on tv.
    What has this got to do with WC or martial arts?? Only that "successful" arts pander to the mass market. Most people want to learn a martial art, they just don't want to work too hard for it, and they certainly want instant results. Don't tell them that they may have to wait a few years to get some decent skills.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

T.k.

Don't get your panties in a knot dude!

I heard that from Sunny Tang. At least I thought I did. Anyways big deal, you seemed to have missed the point behind what I was saying. It certainly wasn't a cheap shot at Moy Yat.

I didn't miss your point. Feel free to spread any other vaguely recalled second hand information you may have overheard from my SiHing, Dunn Wah, or at least the disjoint tidbits you thought you did.

This type of stuff doesn't get me annoyed, it makes me laugh. That's all I was expressing. If you thought I was coming to defend some sort of slight, then my apologies for not making myself clearer. My panties aren't in a bunch and I avoid thongs.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Well, I didn't hear anything about you wearing a thong, so i left that one alone!

BTW bro I don't spread anything I "overheard". Your Sihing Dunn Wah was trained by Moy Yat back in Hong Kong, so as far as what happened back in Hong Kong I'll take his second hand version over your second hand version any day.

We hear lots of stories from our sifu's and sometimes we may lose track of them all. Perhaps it was someone else who started teaching after chum kiu, I thought it was Moy Yat. OOOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by snakebyte8
    Well, I didn't hear anything about you wearing a thong, so i left that one alone!

BTW bro I don't spread anything I "overheard". Your Sihing Dunn Wah was trained by Moy Yat back in Hong Kong, so as far as what happened back in Hong Kong I'll take his second hand version over your second hand version any day.
    I don't have a problem with that and I would encourage it. If you want second hand information, many of my SiHings are much better sources. [BTW, you should be able to verify the dates I gave you with the VTAA.]

Still, when you repost what you think you may recall my SiHing said, that would now be ... third hand, wouldn't it?

It might be worthwhile to contemplate the origins of the "BiuJee does not go out the door" folklore if you are looking for that ChumKiu teaching milestone. (I'm just trying to round out the myths so that you have a "complete" picture. )

If you want second hand information, many of my SiHings are much better sources. [BTW, you should be able to verify the dates I gave you with the VTAA.]
    Well bro we'd all like to get the info from the source but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon now is it.

Still, when you repost what you think you may recall my SiHing said, that would now be ... third hand, wouldn't it?
    Actually I was trying to be nice by pretending to have been mistaken about my recollection of what was told to us by the man who was actually there (unlike you, me or anyone else around here). Besides you should be proud of the fact that he understood well enough what Ip Man had taught him, well enough that Ip Man would let him teach after only learning the Chum Kiu.

Quote Originally Posted by snakebyte8
    Well bro we'd all like to get the info from the source but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon now is it.

Actually I was trying to be nice by pretending to have been mistaken about my recollection of what was told to us by the man who was actually there (unlike you, me or anyone else around here). Besides you should be proud of the fact that he understood well enough what Ip Man had taught him, well enough that Ip Man would let him teach after only learning the Chum Kiu.
    Finally! (*whew*) I thought I was losing my touch. There is no need to pull any punches by pretending. This is why I continued to needle you. (It's a somewhat nasty quality I possess which gets the better of the control over my words from time to time. Sorry.)

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, just a few thoughts:

- My sifu, Moy Yat was also "actually there", too. (Okay, that's the last "jab", I promise.)

- I strive not to be proud of whatever Moy Yat may or may not have done. He considered pride a poor quality for a student to have, and I agree. Regardless, how much a teacher thinks they know when they start to teach is hardly something which should fill them or their students with pride.

- If you reread what I wrote, I neither confirmed nor contradicted your claim. To be fair, I did belittle it for pulling its context to post it here. But, hey, if you can't flame people over the internet for no particular reason, would there be any posts at all?

- When Sifu started teaching was unimportant. Although not to some, as he saw it, starting to teach is a beginning, not an ending milestone. It didn't (and still doesn't) have a "complete" correlation to understanding things well enough; what matters is where it took him.

[BTW, Moy Yat's first student was Greco Wong, who is alive and well in Canada. He would know better than just about anyone where Sifu's skills were at the moment Moy Yat started to accept students. If memory serves, one or two of Greco Wong's students post here from time to time. And, one or two other SiHings from that era just lurk.]

Finally! (*whew*) I thought I was losing my touch. There is no need to pull any punches by pretending. This is why I continued to needle you. (It's a somewhat nasty quality I possess which gets the better of the control over my words from time to time. Sorry.)
    Dirty bugger!