I showed up at Emin Boztepe's seminar a little early this Sat. and waited for him outside. As soon as he rolled up I requested a match.

He was curious as to why I wanted to fight him, so I told him it was strictly business, that he had a big reputation and just happened to be in NYC at the same time his picture was on the cover of an industry magazine. I also added that his reputatation for what he did to Master Chueng made it a little easier.

He did invite me up. He did say he didn't want to fight me because he had no hate for me and needs that to fight but also said he didn't want to put me in the hospital.

Now, this was different than some folks who say they're worried about insurance and being sued. He didn't mention anything about his welfare, he truly was looking out for mine, believing he could seriously hurt me.

I assured him I knew all of these consequences when I woke up and decided to have a friend come film me challenge him on a NYC street corner.

So what to do?

He started his seminar and gave me some face, telling his students that a "brave young man" came to challenge him .... and alone for that matter. He set them up for some drills and we chi saud but it was more like clinch work/grappling.

I have to say, this man now has my respect. Though we didn't fight he didn't dodge me either. He was very open, and told me Master Cheugn was 43 when he fought him, the same age he is now having invited me up to play. He also sai Chueng insulted his master. That's why he did what he did and I can't fault him for that either.

In the end, I have to say the man has power and technique. It was wise for him not to fight me because with all his students their he'd have to hold nothing back, and I didn't go there with the camera to lose. It probabaly would have left someone, if not both of us, injured. I don't feel I was good enough yet to take him out cleanly, that I would have eaten something for my efforts.

It's hard to say, and I do have a bit of regret because I'll never know how I'd match up without actually fighting him but wnated to be fair. The man has talent and deserves what he gets out of martial arts. Actually, he deserved more .... there was only about 10 folks at his seminar and his wing chun was good. Usually I find it week and unstructured. Maybe his work with Judo Jean La Bell has helped. But power and structure was there. I was impressed with his technique, but more so with him. He's a real martial artist and carries himself with dignity and respect.

I went to fight and left with a friend.