Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are chinese stylists selling out?

Are chinese stylists selling out?

It seems many kung fu styles are selling out to the "modern" UFC and san shou style combat. People are ditching thier forms and traditional techniques and moving towards wrestling, BJJ, kickboxing and even TKD strikes.

People want a quick fix that is easy to perform. If your going to sell out, then don't call it kung fu. Kung fu is for the street. These sport styles may increase your skill faster, but they won't take you as far in the long run.

It's painful to watch Cung Le do double leg takedowns. Kids in highschool do that. I want to see a chinese martial arts master perform traditional kung fu techniques. And he has a black belt in TKD? He even got a black belt in BJJ. Cung le is a joke and has sold out to sport styles instead of using his traditional kung fu.

What really makes me mad is that he was a black belt in TKD and throws fancy head kicks. That may work in his sport situation but try that in the street wearing blue genes, shoes to slow your foot down, no time to strech first, and a cold day.... and your head kick may lead to you falling down. In his sport falling down is no big deal becuase the ref will just stand it up. Try that in the street and you will die.

He's really just a TKD black belt riding the kung fu name. I don't give him any traditional kung fu credit.

Yeah I kind of agree with you. Kung fu is for the streets, and that's why sometimes it doesn't work well in the ring.

You can't jab someones eyes out or rip there neck apart. Kung fu was design for combat situation where you take out many attackers. That's why it's eye jab, groin kicks, and stuff that will maime if not kill someone.

You can't do that in the ring so many kung fu guys loses, and have to adapt to other styles so they can be effient in the ring.

I think it's funny when people join an online disuccusion board and immediately start trash talking people.

Especially a person who has worked his ass off to get where he is. Which, by the way, is the true meaning of Kung Fu.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i dont think he claims any traditional roots. just basic san shou training...

a seasoned martial artist (h3ll even me) is able to throw a high kick without a warm up stretch. thats what all those years of stretching are for, to permanize the ability for instantanious use when needed.

if its all about cung le, hes a sport fighter first. he never "sold out" traditional kung fu. can you beat him at his game? didnt think so.

and if he has decided to start in with kung fu after other arts, can you really blame him for seeing the light and error of his ways?

anyone who fancy's high kicks should not be wearing tight blue jeans in the first place.

I wear kwons everywhere i go, and pants that resemble my kung fu pants, minus the tight ankles and add in some pockets.

generally i see it differently. traditional styles are not selling out. people who have not made it past the first 5 or so years of a traditional style are switching thier methods/styles. its not the styles, they remain the same as always. alot of people just dont have the dedication and desire to stick with a traditional chinese style. If your impatient you will never make it.

by the way, how are the 3 billy goats gruff doing these days? want another cookie?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

San Shou is a chinese martial arts competition. They sell out by not using traditional chinese systems. These guys are selling out to wrestling and kickboxing.

And the biggest insult is letting a TKD fighter become the champion of a kung fun event.

Thumbs down

Wow, I've got a lot of traditional Chinese martial arts masters I've got to call up now and tell them that their double legs aren't CMA!!!

Poor Liang Shou Yu for example, he even shows double legs in his Tai Chi and Bagua applications!

Sadly, as is well documented, there are too many deluded trolls who think you've got to dance around in a circle calling out animal names to do traditional kung fu..

These sorts of "traditional" plus a street fight = tragedy in the making....

Oh, and as a troll, I give this a 0.05
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Ya fool, what he ^^ said!!!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Hey wow! Look! A dead horse! Let's kick it.

People want a quick fix that is easy to perform. If your going to sell out, then don't call it kung fu. Kung fu is for the street. These sport styles may increase your skill faster, but they won't take you as far in the long run.
    STUPIDEST POST EVER.

Do you do "street" in the kwoon? Do you break arms? Surprise attacks resulting in deaths? Concrete? Guns? Full speed application of eye gouges, groin kicks and knee stomps? You bite, tear and break skin and muscle and fat? Smash people into windows and glass and posts?

You mean you don't do these things full speed?

Oh...well, then it's just a simulation....with RULES.

Everybody plays by a set of rules. You happen to like your set better, but to argue that something is for the street while something else is sport based on the idea that there are rules is a bull**** copout - end of discussion.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

We were working on deadly techniques the other night in class and I acidentally killed my instructor and two of my classmates. I figure, it's the only way to truly learn and practice these techniques for the street.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i hear that, just last night sifu was showing us how to properly execute a couple of apps in a form and he used me for demonstration.

unfortunately i now am missing my left eye, and i have a broken elbow and got my shoulder dislocated.

but thats all part of learning traditional kung fu right? ill probably ambush one of the newer students tonight with bat to see how well they can handle my street style kung fu, and to let them know how to really practice.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

what this thread should be
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

instead of banning trolls they should be re-routed to that page.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout
    It seems many kung fu styles are selling out to the "modern" UFC and san shou style combat. People are ditching thier forms and traditional techniques and moving towards wrestling, BJJ, kickboxing and even TKD strikes.

It's painful to watch Cung Le do double leg takedowns. Kids in highschool do that. I want to see a chinese martial arts master perform traditional kung fu techniques. And he has a black belt in TKD? He even got a black belt in BJJ. Cung le is a joke and has sold out to sport styles instead of using his traditional kung fu.

San shou is great - it's one of the best things to happen to CMA. It's going to help everyone in CMA I think. Don't knock san shou. Consider shuai chiao - it is CMA & wrestling & sport at the same time. Shuai Chiao competitions are cool. Both of these competition formats will help people to understand their CMA better IMO.

I think you should rethink your position. And Cung Le is wonderful - he's a great athlete who does everything in CMA - da, ti, shuai etc. with speed and power. I wouldn't want to fight that guy - I wouldn't want to fight any of his students. Another san shou guy who is awesome is Marvin Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    I will pay you one MILLION dollars to say that to his face...

Well, he doesn't deny it. His wrestling is not Shuai Chiao, it is American folkstyle wrestling (high school style) that he has been training in all his life. His fancy kicks and scissors takedowns are from Taekwondo (ask him to his face he won't deny it).

Call me a troll if you like. But your using a TKD guy to promote your kung fu. Have you lost your mind? I remember when TKD was loathed. TKD goes for flash. He goes for acrobatic Taekwondo techniques. He is not a traditional CMA fighter and I refuse to acknowledge him as a CMA. He isn't even chinese.

It's really sad that you are following TKD like this. Of course i'm the troll becuase your all to brainwashed and blind to see that your letting a TKD stylist dominate a CMA competition. We need to get a CMA master in there to restore honor and credibility to CMA. You see someone win and are willing to worship TKD to promote your style.