Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staves for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by woliveri
    Guys,

Staff > plural = staves?

or

Staff > plural = staffs?

I think the latter.

My brain cells are popping all over the place. Would an English Major please stand up?
    Same difference. It's a preference. If I say staff, sometimes people get confused. Everyone seems to understand that a stave is a long strait round piece of wood with lots of uses...

And no, Oso, I don't have pics. I honestly hadn't thought of taking any. I'll do this the next time I get my digital camra out, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Shipping

Ok, so it looks like it's going to be $35+ for shipping and handling.

frigging pricey which I know is why most companies don't carry them.

for those that PM'd me, I'll contact you this evening when I get out of class.

thanks
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

here they are. sorry for the delay.
    Last edited by Ming Yue; 05-20-2005 at 04:15 AM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Stave is a back-formation from staves which is the plural of staff. Its a very old back-formation though, and all of staff, staffs, stave and staves are perfectly acceptible.

They look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Stave is a back-formation from staves which is the plural of staff. Its a very old back-formation though, and all of staff, staffs, stave and staves are perfectly acceptible.

They look nice.

yea, got in a debate a while back on the pronunciation of debacle....both ways you hear it were said to be ok by a college english professor we ended up consulting, there was money on it

Thanks. I've never used one I liked better.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

they look nice....

35 bucks for shipping though.. wow, that sucks... no wonder no one really carries them.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Got my staff on Friday and had a few days to check it out. Very nice. It is almost as light as rattan. My next one will be 1 1/2 inches thick as I like things a little heavier. There is a certain plasticity to the wood. It will bend a bit a hold that shape, but it is easy to straighten out by hand and it stays straight until you do something to bend it out of true. It can be bothersome, but it is not a show stopper. I am hoping the 1 1/2 inch will have less of a tendency to bend. The octagonal edges are new and therefore kind of sharp. Shouldn't be a problem for most karate and kung fu staff work. If you want to use it for a spear shaft you will probably want to sand the edges a little smoother. In my neck of the woods, you just can't get a 7 ft staff. I think this item is well worth the price.

Joseph Crandall

Thanks for the kind words.

Need to work the kinks out of the packaging and shipping procedure but I think I'm gonna attempt to set up a store on my website and get into full bore production of staves and short sticks of all sized in ash and hickory.

Hmmmm, 7' hickory might be fun to play with......

yea, I have a good source for a lot of hardwoods but ash and hickory are the only two that have the properties needed for a good stave...maple is ok too but kinda expensive.