Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staves for Sale

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Staves for Sale

First off, Gene, if you object I'll delete. Your company doesn't offer a 7' straight staff so hopefully you won't look on it as competition.

Ok, so I needed to find some straight staves at least 7' long for the staff set I just learned.

couldn't find any.

So, I had some made and am curious if there is a market for them.

They are 7'.

Made of Ash. That's the same wood used for baseball bats.

They are not round however but 8 sided. I sanded ours down a bit to take the edge of the corners.

I've got a good source for the ash and am handpicking very straight grained stock.

We've been using them for about a week and they are holding up very well to the two person drills.

I can retail them for $25 + shipping. I talked to FedEx but need to take one by for them to give me a firm price on that but it might be as much as $10 each due to length.

Quantity orders could be arranged and the price per would drop some.

In the next week or so I'm going to have some pics up on my website.

Any feedback appreciated.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Actually you could've gotten the staff at Brendan Lai's ... Al has them there up to around 15' ...

Just an FYI...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Link?

thanks, I looked around but not there.

are they straight ? I found lots of stuff tapered but no straight.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Why do they need to be straight? Why can't they be tapered, real staves are tapered, as they are just a fairly raw wood product.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

well, for one, I broke my waxwood staff doing the two person set to this form.

so, I wanted something stronger.

also, IMO, if the staff set calls for striking w/ both ends of the staff then both ends need to be strong. the thin end of a waxwood staff would break on a real hit in half of the moves of this set.

I found snail mail and phone number for Brendan Lai's supply company but no web site info.

Understandable with the 2 man stuff I guess....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

if it's done right....just saw some weak 2-man forms this past weekend....intended blocks weren't even getting within a foot of the attack....

Oso,
    I will get those photos to you very soon, and will post a couple here if you like.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Yeah Brendan Lai's doesn't have a web site. Just give them a call & ask for Al. He's Lai Sifu son.

As far as "straight"... they don't have any angular bends or anything like that, but like all wax wood have bumps & notches & their own "personality".
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

I also sell staves, but usually from events. FedEx is definantly your best bet for shipping, but that price you quoted sounds a bit low. Keeping in mind I've only shipped 4 staves, I've found it costs about $15-25 to ship anything over 6' and double that if the client wants it shipped next-day. Also, don't forget the cost of the packaging. I've found that it is much easier to buy FedEx's tube packaging, as it is ideal for shipping and then you don't have to go looking for a supplier for that, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Thanks Ming. Go ahead and post em.

Sean, ok, so you're talking about the waxwood 'limb' type stave...i guess if I got one long enough I could cut it down at a chosen section and have a pretty thick one w/ not much taper. I still think I'd probably break one though unless it was really thick, which I don't want.

Becca, I figured it would be a little higher but the guy wouldn't hardly say a price at all untill I bring one in, which I'm gonna do monday.

what type of staff do you sell?

Custom. Part of the reason I usually only do events is that I prep the staves before hand then cut and seal them on site so the stave is exactly right for the client.

I camp alot and find excelet pieces of wook on my hikes. I do the rudimantery shaping while out there then finish it on my wood laith at home. Sometimes I carve dragons and such into them. After a while I got quite a collection of them going, so I take them down to a gun show and sell them at a stall. I don't make much off of them, but it's a great hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

cool, do you have pics?

Ming Yue and I took some pics of the staves, full length and detail and a couple of poses from a form.

hopefully she'll get them either here or on my website this week.

Guys,

Staff > plural = staves?

or

Staff > plural = staffs?

I think the latter.

My brain cells are popping all over the place. Would an English Major please stand up?

The only reason that I like the waxwood so much is the feeling of the energy. I like the flex... the taper adds to the complexity of the striking.
    practice wu de