Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the principals of your style?

My style?

1st principle: Never tell the principles of this secret kung fu style on a public internet forum.

2nd:see #1

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    sucker punching can work on anyone. The hardest punch is the one you never see coming...
    Against untrained fighters yes, but afterall untrained fighters are just scapping. A trained ifghter can easily evade a sucker punch once you have some tai chi or wing chun under your belt. If you have some DM in your game plan you won't need to rely on sucker punches

Hey!! look at that chick with the really short, red skirt she dropped her purse!!!!

BAM!!!!!

Ahh Ha!!!.....Sucker!!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

The principles are in words.

They are colloquial or in poems.

You may recite them at heart.

However, what do they mean?

Via practice and the guide of a teacher, you may start to understand.

The secrets are there, and yet we have to look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Of course this is inspired by the other thread...

Ok, a styles principals can be broken down into a number of catagories, like principals that guide body structure, mechanics, footwork, tactics entry, positioning, attacks, defenses etc.. There are even principals used to guid the training methods that TEACH the principals of the arts. What are the principals your art uses in the various catagories?

1. Principals of body structure

2. Principals of body Mechanics

3. Principals of Footwork

4. Principals of entry, and positioning.

5. Principals of combat, tactics, attacks, defense etc...

6. Principals of training skills, and of coure principals.

and for those of you who miss my soap opera posts (because I'm alone right now), what are the principals of chaseing, and catching women?
    1) sink, keep low center of gravity, align hips for the stongest position cooresponding to the movement employed

2) unified movement: the hips, shoulders, elbows, knees, etc... all move as one unit. Keep elbows in and shoulders rounded

3) footwork has three main purposes: One is to break the stance of the opponent by exploiting the weak points of their structure, the other is to avoid harm while staying as close as possible. The third option is for when 1 and 2 have failed, and that is to rereat with a counter attack to regain 1 and 2.

4) Close the door/go to the outside whenever possible and maintain contact/bridging in order to feel and control the opponent's movements. Open the door/go to the inside when given no choice or when dominating the engagement, then break the center.

5) When on offense, bridge-control-strike (hit, kick, lock, throw). When on defense, proctect the vitals and make every ttack you recieve be painful for the opponent and an opportunity to take over offense.

6) Focus on foundational skills first: stances and footwork (more emphasis on dynamic than static), briding, shielding, and breaking structure, and the core hand techniques. Drill, drill, and drill some more. Next phase, focus on clinch, throws and takedowns, and locking concepts. Drill even more. Finally, put together in combinations and spar. Conditioning is covered in drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    A trained ifghter can easily evade a sucker punch once you have some tai chi or wing chun under your belt. If you have some DM in your game plan you won't need to rely on sucker punches
    You ever been in a real fight?

I didn't realize taiji or wing chun gave you sixth sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    The principles are in words.

They are colloquial or in poems.

You may recite them at heart.

However, what do they mean?

Via practice and the guide of a teacher, you may start to understand.

The secrets are there, and yet we have to look for them.

I sincerely hope that you're joking...

If the teacher doesn't come out and tell you how things work and why, then I would question thier actual ability and knowledge. But of course, that does take a lot of the mystery right out of it.

I do acknowledge that it is of benefit to question and study what is taught, but being taught in riddles or vague key phrases won't help pass on the essence of any system to someone lving in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    Against untrained fighters yes, but afterall untrained fighters are just scapping. A trained ifghter can easily evade a sucker punch once you have some tai chi or wing chun under your belt. If you have some DM in your game plan you won't need to rely on sucker punches

you should've been here before blooming lotus was banned. you could've fallen in love with her and her love of dim mak...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Being taught through riddles and vauge key phrases wont go far in todays modern society, no. You are correct. But...

One who is able to find the answers themselves with just the slightest of pushes in the correct direction, will prove themselves to be of stong character, quick of mind, and stable of will. To need the teacher to lead you by the hand only proves that you are incapable of carving your own path in this world.

A teacher through different teaching methods will more easily be able to see who has the proper attributes to master his style and life in general. There are many differnt types of people many are weak and many are strong.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It was Confucius that said when he brings up a subject to a fellow man, if that man is not able to bring up the other four points of the subject, Confucius would no longer speak/teach that man.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Best reply so far:

1) sink, keep low center of gravity, align hips for the stongest position cooresponding to the movement employed

2) unified movement: the hips, shoulders, elbows, knees, etc... all move as one unit. Keep elbows in and shoulders rounded

3) footwork has three main purposes: One is to break the stance of the opponent by exploiting the weak points of their structure, the other is to avoid harm while staying as close as possible. The third option is for when 1 and 2 have failed, and that is to rereat with a counter attack to regain 1 and 2.

4) Close the door/go to the outside whenever possible and maintain contact/bridging in order to feel and control the opponent's movements. Open the door/go to the inside when given no choice or when dominating the engagement, then break the center.

5) When on offense, bridge-control-strike (hit, kick, lock, throw). When on defense, proctect the vitals and make every ttack you recieve be painful for the opponent and an opportunity to take over offense.

6) Focus on foundational skills first: stances and footwork (more emphasis on dynamic than static), briding, shielding, and breaking structure, and the core hand techniques. Drill, drill, and drill some more. Next phase, focus on clinch, throws and takedowns, and locking concepts. Drill even more. Finally, put together in combinations and spar. Conditioning is covered in drilling.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Second best reply:

Hey!! look at that chick with the really short, red skirt she dropped her purse!!!!

BAM!!!!!

Ahh Ha!!!.....Sucker!!!!

~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

ROLFTLMAO!!!!!!

My Lunch is all over the keyboard, thank you very much!!!

For the Women:

+ = & a

I hope you have a straw, and some air in a can.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Of course this is inspired by the other thread...

Ok, a styles principals can be broken down into a number of catagories, like principals that guide body structure, mechanics, footwork, tactics entry, positioning, attacks, defenses etc.. There are even principals used to guid the training methods that TEACH the principals of the arts. What are the principals your art uses in the various catagories?

1. Principals of body structure
    Always guard the centerline, always attack the centerline. If there is no bridge create a bridge, when there is form strike the form, when there is no form, strike the shadow.

2. Principals of body Mechanics
    Answer hands with hands and feet with feet. We strive to keep a very little gap between our opponet and ourselves, and we defend hand attacks with hands, and feet ones with feet. Of course we also recognize thats not always the case and do have hand vs feet, etc.

3. Principals of Footwork
    Angling in along the center line keeping a neutral stance. 50/50 weight distribution. Always crowd the space.

4. Principals of entry, and positioning.
    You just go in. Simultaneous attack and defense. Use your structure to break theirs.

5. Principals of combat, tactics, attacks, defense etc...
    Reference #4 and #3 since to me these all fall along the same lines, but to go deeper into it. Glass head, tofu body, iron bridges. My head my shatter and break if hit too hard, my body can fall apart if hit too hard, my iron bridges protect by attacking and defending my body. Upon loss of contact rush in. If my opponet chases a limb, or does a long range of motion movement you take the center and don't even both with that attack coming in at you. The target area is the head, chest, upper and lower abdomen, groin, knees, shins, ankles, etc. Attack with the closest weapon to the closest target. There are tons more, but ill stop there.

6. Principals of training skills, and of coure principals.
    The Siu Lim Tao (first form) should be done daily, more than once won't hurt. Training should consists of punches, kicks, forms, etc. Physical conditioning is up to you, I personally do lots of calistenics. Chi sao, 2 man sensitivy drill should be practiced a lot to help develop many good attributes. We also do push hands and lots of other things.

and for those of you who miss my soap opera posts (because I'm alone right now), what are the principals of chaseing, and catching women?
    All I gotta say about this one is, do your own dirty work man, I gotta do mine
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man