Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hung Fut?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    As far as being the keeper of the Hung Fut system my sifu Chan Tai San was very clear about Tai Yim being the guy to cary the lineage into the future. I would think that Chan Sifu knew what he was talking about since he served and trained under the White Haired Devil in the millitary.

AS far as who is top dog, in my book Tai Yim is.

greencloud.net

I didn't say anything about Chan Tai San, i said it's debated that Tai Yim is the inheritor. My sigung Wong Cheung is also noted to have learned his Hung Fut directly from Hung Ju Sing (White Haired Devil)

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Hung Gum Pui in Hong Kong has some pretty good Hung Fut.
    Hung Gum Pui is the one that most and Hong Kong note as Grandmaster and Inheritor of the system.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 05-01-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

jmd161:

That is why I threw his name in the mix. Many in the US don't know of him. I think both he and Yim Tai are top notch hung fut sifus.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    jmd161:

That is why I threw his name in the mix. Many in the US don't know of him. I think both he and Yim Tai are top notch hung fut sifus.

Peace.

Agreed!!

I started learning under a disciple of Hung Gum Pui's when i was in NY.

Jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

My bad I just meant in the U.S

this doesnt fit

THIS THREAD DOESNT BELONG HERE IT BELONGS IN THE SOUTHERN FORUM
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Not nesesarily, Hung FUt is a Shaolin system , but I agree it's southern Siu lum.

Personaly I think it would get more exposure on the KF forum, since most people have never herd of this great style or it's masters.

I will try to be as PC about this as I can, and let me preface by saying I am NOT an authorized expert representative of any branch, so what I am about to say can be thrown over your shoulder with a grain of salt if you will.

Sifu Hung Kam Poi was the chairman of the HK Hung Fut Pai organization, and is a skilled Hung Fut Sifu. If anyone wants to follow that line of confidence, then they would know, by that line, there is NO single Jeung Mun, or Grandmaster, of Hung Fut. According to that set up, the organization was put together to replace the single Grandmaster way with a revolving and renewing committee. So by that logic Hung Kam Poi is not the inheritor or by the same logic every eigth gen Hung fut Sifu is the inheritor.

I beleive, and I can certainly be wrong, that since the 6th gen, only one of a generation will learn the treasure of the Hung Fut system which is the "Mad Devil" staff form. Fung Mo Gwan. That person would be the inheritor.

Now what I am about to say will provoke some so please take note of my preface again.

Sifu Hung Yiu Jung was the unquestionable 6th gen inheritor.
    Hung Kam Poi learned from Hung Yu Jung, but for how long? The answer is not very long. He learned most of his Hung Fut from Hung Kor San, who was a 7th gen Sifu and student of 6th gen inheritor Hung Jiu Shing (aka White Haired Devil). Sifu Yim Tai learned from Sifu Hung Yiu Jung from the age of 12 until Hung Yiu Jung passed away. A long time, in addition he became the adopted son of Hung Yiu Jung as Hung Yiu Jung had no son and only a daughter, and he learned all the high level sets of Hung Yiu Jung including the Mad Devil staff form. So, who would logically seem more likely to be the jeung Mun? There is more, but it is not for these boards.

Eventhough I just typed the above, the bottom line is this. IT DOESN"T FREAKIN MATTER! None of us were there then, and since then, ALL the public branches of Hung Fut have produced skilled practitioners and new generations of Sifu and above all else, a fighting reputation. We are all priveledged to have learned from the Sifu we did. Wether someone is "The Keeper" or not is a non issue to anyone but those individuals as all except Hung Yiu Jung are still alive. The 9th gen students and down have began a dialogue that is unprecedented between all the public branches and will only lead to good things in the future for our beloved system. We need to continue on that line and progress beyond petty BS politics. In hindsight of what I typed above, I apologize. This last paragraph is really what I would argue for.

It mentions in Hung Gum Bui's bio that he was well known for the Mad Devil Staff and the Sei Dai Bi Kuen (4 Cripples). If that were true does it mean others can learn this set?

The 4 crippled set or sets are another treasure of the Hung Fut system, and seems to be guarded and not randomly taught. However the reason for it's treasure is more of an honor to the innovativeness and compassion of White Haired Devil. The techniques were developed and taught to handicapped ratan furniture factory workers, to defend themselves from the garbage of thugs that preyed upon them and robbed them of their earnings and possesions. In that light is possible Hung Kam Poi learned the set or sets. In 1993 Sifu Yim Tai demonstrated a variation of the crippled techniques at your Sifu's grand opening in Ft. Lauderdale, which til this day is the coolest kung fu related event I've ever been to.

There are more than one staff form with the name "Mad Devil" or "Crazy Devil" in them. I am confident in my belief, although without any hard evidence, that the "Mad Devil" staff form that Sifu Hung Kam Poi, knows and the one that Sifu Yim Tai know are completely different. To say more is pointless because I am totally biased to my Sifu, but not just because he is my Sifu, I have seen things that have completely resolved my beliefs about Hung Yiu Jung's legacy.

I would only expect that other students of other Hung Fut Sifu would be biased to their own teacher as well.
    The only thing I care about is that my Sifu is legit and has good skill recognized by many of the famous and skilled fighting teachers talked about on these boards, including your sifus the late Lee Koon Hung and his brother Sifu Lee Siu Hung, Your si hing Sifu Tat Mau Wong, Tai Sing Gm Chan Sau Cheung, Late Lama GM Chan Tai San, the late Jow Ga sifu Dean Chin, Wah Lum GM Poi Chan, Hung Ga Sifu Y.C. Wong, Hung Ga sifu Chiu Chi Ling, Wing Tsun GM Leung Ting. And almost all of them he knew back in HK either on his own or through his sifu. Most importantly I've seen his skill myself, and it's enough for me to learn from and that has helped to make me a better fighter and a better person.

Brother#9 I think I can speak for everyone that being the keeper of the style is not exclusive to one person. I think it's a great thing that all these people including my sifu Chan Tai San are part of the same family and focusing on who's the so called inheritor is counter productive. Thank you for sheding some light.

greencloud.net

Brother#9:

I agree with you 100%. By the way, you should be biased towards your sifu I know I am biased towards mine.

Not many people (including myself) know a lot about Hung Fut. Yeah we know history and the Hung Gar & Fut Gar connection, but aside from that there isn't much in the U.S. with the exception of Yim Sifu and most people only know his name when thinking of Hung Fut sifus. When it comes to CLF or Hung Gar sifus there is a long list.

That is what I like about your style, the fact it is somewhat unique. It is like buying the car you don't see that much on the road. It makes it look nicer each day.

Peace.

yea I know what you mean, it's cool knowing something that %99.5 of the world doesn't know.

Hmmmm,

Can't say too much about Hung Fut as i've only dabbled in it a bit. I do know that Wong Cheung learned both the Mad Devil Staff (crazy devil) and 4 Crippled Afflictions as well as the Wind demon staff from White Haired Devil himself. Wong Cheung was known for his Hung Kuen and Hung Fut as well as his Hak Fu Mun.

I've been lucky to meet and touch hands with a sifu here that teaches both Hung Kuen and Fut Gar, so i've been able to see the two and how they were combined or connected. Fut Gar is totally different than what i assumed it was like. It's pretty hard core also.

Too much to learn so little time only one life....

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

From what I'v seen Hung fut seems to be the opposite Of Choy Lei Fut. CLF styles primarily focuses on fighting from it's right side as where Hung fut seems to be a left handed fighting system at least in the beginning levels then of course both styles switch it up.

When I first saw Sifu Yim I walked up to him and said you complete me

I've been wanting for a little while to look at Hung Fut and Choy Lay Fut side by side. In posture and power generation they are very similar. Sometimes the flows are very similar as well. At least from the HK lines, the salutations to begin most forms is very very close, in some cases almost identical except for the fingers.

In addition, the energy brought to the play of the forms from power and speed combinations are familiar. There are even some sets that have the same or similar names like fu-pow kuen. CLF has a lien wan kuen and I'm probably wrong but I think even a kow da kuen. HF has a lien wan kow da kuen. Those in particular I'd like to compare, although not to see if there is any direct ties. I don't beleive there are.
    My reason is to compare others systems as well and see if maybe there is or was an underlying fight, philosophical, or physical culture that pervaded many of the arts that found their way and were developed and exported in and from Hong Kong.