Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Energy Gates & Other Bruce Franztis Methods

Energy Gates & Other Bruce Franztis Methods

Hi peoples - has anyone here had any experience of the types/kinds of chi-gung that Bruce Kumar Frantzis teaches? I have a book about opening the energy gates and I believe he has a whole host of apparently special stuff.

So, any thoughts? Is this stuff any good? Does it transfer well to a martial context...i.e. does it create power etc?

Cheers!

Times have changed

Well, I don't know about the stuff Bruce teaches, but the old T'ai Chi families traditionally have extensive nei kung repertoires for health, meditation and martial art.

When I first became a disciple of the Wu family, they showed me some things and cautioned me never to even mention them to outsiders. Now Sifu Eddie Wu shows them on a videotape! He says the days of military secrecy are over, and the health benefits to the public outweigh the risk of abuse.

I personally did not find anything spectular with Bruce Kumar Frantzis opening the energy gates.I found more information in Jwing Ming Yangs Root of qigong.But again just my opnion.I think bruce is not a bad teacher better than most qigong teachers I have met(all that newage mumble jumble with Mantak Chia)

Hmmm

I spent a small amount of time with one of Bruces senior students and all I can say is if the old Chinese idea of to get to know the Master one observes the quality of their disciples, then I would say give Kumar's stuff a wide berth.

However please feel free to ignore as I am a little biased as I don't care for Bruce Frantzis at all and his massive ego.
    I do find that some of the claims of his lineage are a bit dubious, but I don't want to insult his masters, maybe just how he advertises his own lineage etc.

He is a bit of a bull****ter, and I've never met one of his students who has been able to tell the truth on why Wang Shu-jin kicked him out of his classes. I was told a few years ago by a reputable source and all the Kumarites I've spoken to refuse to validate it.
    Im not saying Kumar is a charlatan, not at all his dose have some kudos for all the years he has been legitimately studying, but my point is I feel he always elevates himself to a position higher than what he really is.

His book on Internal Martial arts was in many ways a poor book. Knowing that he didn't tell the whole truth about one or two of his teachers in the past leaves the door of doubt open to all his other teachers.

I just feel the man has something, but not as much as others.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Re:

Cheers for the views chaps - I'm checking out a class by one of his students in the near future and will post a review.

Glimmer

Go for it mate, I notice you're in London, please, please, please don't say you're going to visit Chris Chappel.

Thats my only advice.

Re:

Heh. No I'm not, visiting another student of Kumars - so you clearly view this Chapell chap highly then huh? :P

So, which places/teachers in London would you recommend for chi-gung/meditation specific stuff?

Peace.

I studied with Kumar for a long time. I'll answer your questions if you PM me. I can recommend Chris Chapel withour reservation. Get him to show you some of the Bon stuff as well.

Two questions:

1) What's wrong with Chris Chappell?

2) Why did Wang Shu Jin kick BKF out of his classes? What did he do wrong?

Nothing is wrong with Chris, I recommend him. I thought that much was clear.

Buddy-

I was asking Repulsive Monkey. He was the one who said something about Chris Chappell. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

Hmmm

I do apologise if my initial presonse seemed inflammatory.
    I studied with Chris a little bit and considered what I paid for was heavily out of balance with the quality of teaching he gave.
    He was a poor communicator, didn't seem to have too much time for some of the others in the group who had no knowledge of Qi-gong whatsoever, even though the course was for people without experience aswell as those with.
    Basically slated everyone for not catching on quick enough, but that should say more about his quality of teaching than anything else.

He thought too much of himself and seemed to preen himself too much for my liking.
    I kept my mouth shut at the time and didn't make any noise about my own experiences in Internal Martial arts or Qi-Gong, and noticed he made some appalling physical corrections whilst teaching the Marriage of Heaven and Earth Qi-Gong.

He may flair for other teachings, he may of had an off day, he may of been tired and did the couple of weekends just as a pay-cheque, but he is the only Qi-Gong teacher I've met and come away thinking what a waste of time. As I say if he is anything like his Master, then I'm glad I missed the opportunity to meet Kumar himself last year.

Wang Shu-Jin kicked Kumar out of his classes because Kumar decided to try the kick to the groin stunt whilst Wang was teaching a lesson to others.
    Wang did a light Hammer-fist blow on Bai Hui to Kumar and knocked him out and stepped over him leaving him on the floor.
    When he came to, a couple of Wang's senior students helped him and told not to come back again.
    Why does he do this rubbish? Or did I'm hoping with age he has learnt respect now for others!?!
    I also know of the story of a well known Grand-Master who used to live in Vancouver that Kumar was eager to study with, but again tried to attack him whilst speaking to him and got a double finger jab to the abodomen off him, and naturally a refusal to become a student of his afterwards.

Although Kumar's Bagua is good his attitude sucks.

Thanks for the info, Repulsive Monkey. It's sad to hear. I, too, hope that his attitude has changed because that's some very disrespectful behavior (to put it mildly).

Just curious RM,

What are your sources for your accusations against Kumar?

Hmmm

My Grand Master was the one in Vancouver, and his friend was also studying with Wang Shu-jin at the time.