Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackbelts have lost all meaning

For me their trappings. If you need a belt, then great, but don't expect me to automatically assume you're the walking talking death machine I am, just because your belt says so.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    I know this guy.
    He is a very nice guy and he is in good shape.
    He also just got his black belt after less than a year of JKD instruction.

I didn't even know JKD had belts until he told me that.

I'm sorry but you SHOULD NEVER get a black belt after only one year, it's a disservice to the person attaining the belt.

Really it seems like belts have lost all meaning.
    welcome to 1984 dude.
    where's my beer?

It's all depending on the requirement for that belt testing.
    Of course it does, the problem is that most schools just don't push their students that hard. Hell I went to a pretty traditional Shorin Ryu school in high school. We had two black belts and it took them 5 years to do it. Both of them said once they hit blackbelt they finally started learning how to really fight. Up until then they did tournemants, passed all the required tests, did all that. However, the school got shut down, they couldn't get enough people through the door because there were about 8 places in 10 miles that would get you a blackbelt in 1-3 years.

It's a large part marketing. A goodly number of people quit when they get their black belt, I think MP said the same happens in BJJ around blue.

If you need a belt, then great, but don't expect me to automatically assume you're the walking talking death machine I am, just because your belt says so.
    Thanks for the idea Red, I'll make a fortune when I sell it to Century.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have been studying martial arts for over 22 years and have earned black belts in kung fu, jujitsu, and kenpo. I am proud of these accomplishments, but I couldn't care less if I ever get another one. I now study martial arts for the pure joy of learning them without having to acquire more rank. In the street no one is going to ask what rank or belt you hold. You are going to be judged on your effectiveness.
    Figure Eight

To paraphrase Royce Gracie - "A belt only covers 2 inches of your ass, you've got to cover the rest."

Enough said.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

. In the street no one is going to ask what rank or belt you hold. You are going to be judged on your effectiveness.
    But if you had a belt that said, "I'm the walking talking death machine mother f*&%er!" Now that would start a conversation.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    But if you had a belt that said, "I'm the walking talking death machine mother f*&%er!" Now that would start a conversation.
    Dude, you just gave away your idea! Did they turn you down so soon?

/by the way- I want to thank the starter of this thread for making my life goals pointless! Oh, the shame of it!
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Thanks for the idea Red, I'll make a fortune when I sell it to Century.
    Sorry buddy but "The Walking Death Machine Red5angel" is already trademarked and copyrighted. I expect to be getting tons of gigs shortly after killing you in our deathmatch. Mostly in WWE and UFC.