Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conditioning your shins

conditioning your shins

whats a good way to condition the shins? a lot of people say rolling bottles, metal rods, sticks, etc on the shins are bad. what are other ways for conditioning the shins?

Conditioning the shins is really hardwork and it requires mental toughness. I think kicking heavy bags is enough to condition your shins for round house kicks. I have
    know those who could break baseball bats with their shins but get their shins broken by someone (Duncan Leung) who knew how to destroy limbs in self defense. My point is instead of concentrating on creating unbreakable shins, maybe more time could go into more productive training? However, if your goal is to develop iron-type shins than rolling sticks, bottles, or iron bars up and down your shins is probably very effective. Just remember to apply dit da jow afterward and exercise common sense.

With Strength and Respect,
    Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Conditioning the shins is really hardwork and it requires mental toughness. I think kicking heavy bags is enough to condition your shins for round house kicks. I have
    know those who could break baseball bats with their shins but get their shins broken by someone (Duncan Leung) who knew how to destroy limbs in self defense. My point is instead of concentrating on creating unbreakable shins, maybe more time could go into more productive training? However, if your goal is to develop iron-type shins than rolling sticks, bottles, or iron bars up and down your shins is probably very effective. Just remember to apply dit da jow afterward and exercise common sense.

With Strength and Respect,
    Bao
    hmmm, my first shin conditioning was by way of my first teacher being willing to kick me in the shins every time I showed enough hubris to attempt to kick him while sparring. worked great.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by choyleefat_604
    whats a good way to condition the shins? a lot of people say rolling bottles, metal rods, sticks, etc on the shins are bad. what are other ways for conditioning the shins?
    Kick things with your shings as hard as you can as much as you can, get plenty of rest and enough nutrients for your shins to grow stronger.

There's nothing inherently wrong with rolling and banging your shins with bottles, sticks, etc, but you're only really deadening the nerves and introducing minor surface trauma. For your shins to REALLY get stronger you need to kick hard and impact hard. So your best bet is probably to kick into heavy bags as much as you can, as hard as you can and THEN follow up with the manual rolling and banging of the shins.

Don't forget to rest and get enough nutrients. This would include anything to promote the bloodflow through your legs (such as dit da jow).

External conditioning of any part of the body can be bad down the road when you get old, and can cause problems.

I would say start off with heavy massage of the shins to promote circulation, and healing. Then maybe just kick a heavy bag. I wouldn't recomend anything extreme like using a roller or blunt item against your shins over and over again.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

hmmm...thanks for the advice guys......kicking the heavy bag sounds good to me, but i dont really have that at my convenience...what are other ways for conditioning???

Don't use anything harder than your shin. When two objects meet, the harder one wins.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FngSaiYuk
    Kick things with your shings as hard as you can as much as you can, get plenty of rest and enough nutrients for your shins to grow stronger.

There's nothing inherently wrong with rolling and banging your shins with bottles, sticks, etc, but you're only really deadening the nerves and introducing minor surface trauma. For your shins to REALLY get stronger you need to kick hard and impact hard. So your best bet is probably to kick into heavy bags as much as you can, as hard as you can and THEN follow up with the manual rolling and banging of the shins.

Don't forget to rest and get enough nutrients. This would include anything to promote the bloodflow through your legs (such as dit da jow).

Watch what you are kicking. To be honest, you really don't need anything other than a heavy bag and thai pads. Conditioning will come in due time.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    Watch what you are kicking. To be honest, you really don't need anything other than a heavy bag and thai pads. Conditioning will come in due time.
    Heheh, not to promote injury or anything, but as long as you use common sense, you'll sort of know how hard you can kick something. Then again, common sense isn't so common. So yes, DON'T kick anything you can't kick at full power multiple times. That means you're not conditioned enough yet. ::grin::

just spar...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I don't know about the "only kick pads" thing. You can kick pads for a long time and then lightly hit someone else's shin and drop to the ground in pain.

depends on the pads.
    leather pads will get you what you want; especially if you got a good padholder.
    fairtex, twins (or the title relabeled version), permabilt.
    Think I remember you saying you got Amber sports? or was it Aries?
    I thought those were leather pads?
    The other factor to remember is time- it can take longer than 6 months to a year.
    I dunno, I'm comfortable with my level of shin conditioning- elbow spikes hurt me more than knees & shins, but even the pain from those only lasts for a split second (until later that evening hehe) - and I've never done anything crazy.
    But hey, different strokes for different folks.
    If you feel you need that other stuff, then go for it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I think a lot of it has to do with technique too. A proper circle kick has the shin rolled over so you do not make direct contact with the very fronts of your shins, correct?
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by BMore Banga
    depends on the pads.
    leather pads will get you what you want; especially if you got a good padholder.
    fairtex, twins (or the title relabeled version), permabilt.
    Think I remember you saying you got Amber sports? or was it Aries?
    I thought those were leather pads?
    The other factor to remember is time- it can take longer than 6 months to a year.
    I dunno, I'm comfortable with my level of shin conditioning- elbow spikes hurt me more than knees & shins, but even the pain from those only lasts for a split second (until later that evening hehe) - and I've never done anything crazy.
    But hey, different strokes for different folks.
    If you feel you need that other stuff, then go for it.
    omg good memory. Yeah, I got Amber sports pads. They're leather, and very nice quality.

I hate to say this, well...maybe not..., but this is yet another conversation that just doesn't go anywhere or mean anything...

to condition your shins, or anything else, you must stress them.

at the same time, you need to be fighting regularly to actually learn to use what you know.

conditioning alone doesn't mean ****. It's not like some magic potion: "I have taken my potion of conditioning and I will beat you"

It's just a part of the equation.

so, fight more, like you mean it, against someone else who is better than you and you will get all the condtioning you will ever need.