Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the southern mantis people

Who are the southern mantis people

Hi I'm new here and just wanted to find out who does southern praying mantis as well.

Re:

Hello! What branch of spm do you study and under who?

Thanks

Dong gong chow gar tong long under sigung Henry Sue

Re:

Hello again! Good to see more spm people on here. I study Kwong Sai
    Jook Lum Tong Long Pai under Gin Foon Mark and others.

I dont know to much about Henry Sue`s chow Gar other than what has been said on the net, which is mixed. How is your studying going? Is
    there many differences between Henry Sue`s chow gar and the Chow gar
    being taught by Ip Chee or Paul Whitrod?

I think paul whitrods the same Im not sure.Sarm bo jin is our first form which is what im leaning now.We train Tai Chi also to supplement the tong long.

Suppliment the tong long?

I dont know the sues tong long but I dont see why you would need to suppliment the tong long with Tai Chi. what is lacking within Chow gar that you find within Tai Chi?

Ah you misunderstand me.There is nothing lacking from tong long.Complement would have been a better word.It gives you a good base by improving your balance.

Talking You got it!

BALANCE IS EVERYTHING.

No matter HOW you get it, maintain it, use it, and understand it is GOOD.

Whatever works, Guy.

-jo

ahh ok but I fail to see why Chow Gar tong long would not teach you the same principles.... I ask this as I used to train another southern mantis style which was complimented by Tai Chi and after four years of training in it. I fail to see what it brought to the system that wasnt already there.

I can see your point of view but it brings a whole yin/yang thing into it.The speed and power of tong long is balanced by the softness and beauty of the tai chi.Not that tong long doesnt stand up on its own merits.Plus i think tai chi is cool!

Well.. Tai Chi is cool.
    You can't argue with that.

Chow Gar under Bill Spraggs/Rob Dawkins (under Paul Whitrod) in UK.

Just restarted Yang taichi, too. And Yoga .

I love taichi's slow and careful examination of balance etc. Those methods translate well into any style, not least spm.

Rgds,
    David

Whats the difference between chow gar and jok lum,7 star and 8 step mantis.anybody know?Still sore from last nights training but it was fun.Sarm bo jin(Three step arrow) is our first form what are the names of your forms?
    Last edited by guy incognito; 04-08-2004 at 03:03 PM.

hard and soft

Originally posted by mantis-1
    ahh ok but I fail to see why Chow Gar tong long would not teach you the same principles.... I ask this as I used to train another southern mantis style which was complimented by Tai Chi and after four years of training in it. I fail to see what it brought to the system that wasnt already there.
    Not everyone sees the connection between hard and soft in Chow Gar.

When starting out, most people only practice "the hard" as the power generation is intoxicating.

When they learn that the power increases with smoothness and fluidity (softness), the light bulb over the head turns on.

Your bulb turned on sooner then most! ;-)

-jo

:P

hey..

briefly

qi xing (7 star) and ba bu (8 steps) are NORTHERN Praying mantis styles (unrelated to sountern mantis)

chow gar and jook lum are SOUTHERN Praying Mantis ..

check out the Southern Praying Mantis Forums community at:

http://b2.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu

or

http://tonglongforums.cjb.net

Henry Sue (Siu) 's Chow Gar has branched off from then main line (for lack of better word) chow gar of Master ip shui. And it cannot be said to be "the same" as paul brennan, paul whitrod etc who following in the chow gar ip shui ....

Malcolm Sue branched off completely founding is own style ging mo kune

the Sue-Tin Brothers bracned off comepletely combining thier tai chi training with their tong long to found hok se tong long and lin wan sam sao styles

check out da tonglongforums for more info

Last edited by 5thBrother; 04-09-2004 at 07:31 PM.